Half of teens believe say they are addicted to their phones in poll

There was this girl whose mom took away her phone as punishment, the girl was caught trying to poison her mom. If you ever seen teenage girls and their phones, it's not surprising.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/health...ction-parents/

Fifty percent of teens feel they are addicted to their mobile devices, according to the poll, which was conducted for Common Sense Media, a nonprofit focused on helping children, parents, teachers and policymakers negotiate media and technology. A larger number of parents, 59%, said their teens were addicted. The poll involved 1,240 interviews with parents and their children, ages 12 to 18.
    "Technological addiction can happen to anyone," said digital detox expert Holland Haiis, who describes technology as "the new 21st century addiction" in her book "Consciously Connecting: A Simple Process to Reconnect in a Disconnected World."
    "If your teens would prefer gaming indoors, alone, as opposed to going out to the movies, meeting friends for burgers or any of the other ways that teens build camaraderie, you may have a problem."

Nearly 80% of teens in the new survey said they checked their phones hourly, and 72% said they felt the need to immediately respond to texts and social networking messages. Thirty-six percent of parents said they argued with their child daily about device use, and 77% of parents feel their children get distracted by their devices and don't pay attention when they are together at least a few times per week.
    Terry Greenwald, a father of three grown children, works as a custodian at a high school in Homer, Alaska, and said the hallways are often half-filled with "teenage zombies who are glued to their phones."
    They often walk near the walls so they can move from class to class without looking away from their screens, he said. "It gets interesting when they get to the stairways and the walls end for the stairway," he said. "They don't want to look up and they don't way to tumble down the stairs but often just slow way down and inch along until they reach the wall just past the opening. They are often late to the next class, but that's OK because they were successful at not diverting attention from their phone."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    new study shows cell phones are more addicting than heroin.

OCD man OCD i need to do it now cause "reasons"

Its just the thing our generation does when 'idle'.

Other generations has stupid idle shit too, like yoyos, tamigotchi, bouncey balls, whatever. I'm sure if you looked at past teenagers and 20 year olds through the same cynical lense you would spot similar seemingly 'addicted' practices.

Playing with phones is the new 'doodling' if you will.

I mean I know when I check my phone, 99% of the times I check it its just so I don't stare around at people walking by or whatever. Its somewhere to divert your attention. Our culture seems to hate the idea of people just doing nothing while being at specific areas. If you do it at a reception, the receptionists think you look bored, if you're on your phone, they don't bother you. See what I mean?

Of course now its also adults doing it. The adults of ye olden days weren't all sitting blowing bubbles with their bubble gum or playing with a yoyo. Thats the only difference in my eyes.

It's not just teenagers. You need only step outside on a busy day to see people of all ages glued to their phones and more interested in the screen/whoever is on the other side whilst talking than what is going on around them.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can believe it. It's very sad.

I get pissed when people are glued to the phone while with other people. They basically are saying

"My text / stupid phone game / whatever is more important than you. LOL "

i remember when i was young and children respected their elders, were attentive, and enjoyed life and learning

now everything is bad and nothing can help us

thanks obama

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    i remember when i was young and children respected their elders, were attentive, and enjoyed life and learning

now everything is bad and nothing can help us
    Respect for your elders is uncool.

They have only been around the world twice as long as you. Why would you value what they say?

Deleted
    Phones are nice. Although i have no need for calling and messaging. So to the desktop i go.

This is why my kids dont have cellphones.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.

other day i was in ikea, and came across some couches, and mostly all were filled with kids and teens, every single one of them was on their cell phone... it was kinda creepy

yeah i know shopping kinda sucks, but not 1 of the 20 people wasn't on their phone

i dont doubt teens are addicted to cell phones in the slightest

Phone addiction. That's a new one.