Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Citadel (US military college) denies a potential students request to wear a hijab

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ear-her-hijab/

The Citadel will not allow a Muslim student to wear a hijab, an exception she had requested to the required uniform to keep her head covered, in keeping with her faith. The family of the accepted student is now considering “all legal options,” according to an advocate authorized to speak for them.

A statement from the college president, Lt. Gen. John Rosa, explained that the uniform is central to the leadership training at the college, as cadets give up their individuality to learn teamwork and allegiance to the corps, and its leaders concluded that they could not grant an exception to the required dress. Rosa emphasized their commitment to having a diverse and inclusive campus, and their recognition of the importance of cadets’ religious beliefs. There are several Muslim students enrolled.
    At the Citadel, students are expected to leave behind their individuality — and almost all of their possessions — and form opinions based on character rather than appearance. Allowing one student to wear something completely different struck many as antithetical to that mission. And some objected, as well, because exceptions have apparently not ever been made for other religions. Christian cadets have been told not to display crosses, for example.
    This just strikes me as someone trying to claim "discrimination!" when the school clearly has a dress code in place for all students, not just Muslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Yeah rules should apply to everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are Christians required to remove their crucifixes?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Christian cadets have been told not to display crosses, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Christian cadets have been told not to display crosses, for example.
    Is all good then.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

If they don't allow displays of any religion on any cadet I don't see an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    If they don't allow displays of any religion on any cadet I don't see an issue.
    the issue is its fotm

odds are the rule will remain unchanged since the military tends to give no fucks, but who knows

10+ Year Old Account
    Lt. Gen. John Rosa, explained that the uniform is central to the leadership training at the college, as cadets give up their individuality to learn teamwork and allegiance to the corps, and its leaders concluded that they could not grant an exception to the required dress.
    This right here is why they should be understanding. They can leave their selfishness at the door.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Considering they seem to be consistent with the policy then I don't think we have a problem here. Next.

The college is correct in its stance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems a bit odd to want to join a military establishment and expect to get exemptions on the dress code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Seems a bit odd to want to join a military establishment and expect to get exemptions on the dress code.
    Exactly. Why apply in the first place if you knew this dress code was in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

15+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree with the stance of the college on this.

As the Lt. Gen. said, there's good reasons military uniforms are, well, uniform.

Simple Definition of uniform
    : not varying or changing : staying the same at all times, in all places, or for all parts or members

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

10+ Year Old Account
    Not allowing her goes against everything America stands for.

Really sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not allowing her goes against everything America stands for.

Really sad!
    Tennisace golden posts once again.

But in seriousness, the college has strict policies of uniformity, team over the individual focus, and expressively prohibits any religious materials regardless of the religion. The college is well within their rights and I applaud them for rooting into the ground and not catering to the people who suffer from special snowflake syndrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

If the rule applies to all, then that's that.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about all those Jew complaining? Oh wait...they aren't....But those Christians who can't wear their cross! Nope, they aren't complaining either. Oh wait...Native Americans...they have to be upset that they can't adorn any religious dressings...nope, they aren't complaining either.

Screw these Muslim kids. Fall in line, or fall out.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If it's in keeping with normal military rules, you can wear it UNDER everything and not have it visible to others.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah rules should apply to everyone.
    reminds me of that law in France where students (at least in high school afaik) are not allowed to wear those colored diapers to cover their heads

religious exceptions to laws that are clearly established in society and where the government has an interest in pursuing some objective have no place today - we don't live in the 20th century anymore ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What about all those Jew complaining? Oh wait...they aren't....But those Christians who can't wear their cross! Nope, they aren't complaining either. Oh wait...Native Americans...they have to be upset that they can't adorn any religious dressings...nope, they aren't complaining either.

Screw these Muslim kids. Fall in line, or fall out.
    More or less the motto of the way things need to be. We need to stop catering to every little 'unique' individual. You don't govern or lead a damn thing by giving out special treatments left and right. Then again, you won't hear any complaints from me if we wipe out organized religion and atheism in one fell swoop, two sides of the same overly entitled coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.