Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

DOOM (2016) performance thread

Right so I've been playing DOOM for the past 2 hours and have a few notes on performance.

I put the settings on Nightmare where-ever I could (including difficulty which may have been an error in judgement...)

But basically on a 1080p 60Hz screen I maxed everything out on every setting possible except for Motion Blur...
    Because fuck Motion Blur... that's why.

The game ran on OpenGL 4.3 mode (Vulkan will be patched in "VERY VERY SOON!") so performance benefits should be there!

Frame time average was about 14,7ms
    Average FPS indoors was about 97 (inside buildings)
    Average FPS outdoors (planetside Mars) about 67 - 69 EXCEPT when you enter some long but small caves, quite weird!
    Entering a cave which is only about 3 times as big as your character (total in all directions, not 3 times higher and 3 times wider!) causes an unexplained drop in FPS, the FPS dropped to an average of 43 - 44 with minimum being 34.. but as soon as I went out FPS skyrocketed back to 69.
    This is with a large overview of a base with tons of shadows, moving particles and demons, a scene which is far more demanding than a small cave so this really is inexplicable, during this time frame-time average was 33,52ms (game shows all this in the engine itself!)

Average CPU use was about ~40% .. it would NOT utilize my HyperThreaded cores but only the physical ones and even then only 4, possibly 5 cores in total were utilized.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-990X @ 3,47GHz (Baseclock, Hexacore)
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard
    Corsair Dominator GT 12GB DDR3-1866MHz CL8 Triple-Channel
    AMD Radeon R9 390X (MSI Gaming Edition) @ 1100MHz Core and 1525MHz VRAM (stock clocks for this card in other words!)
    Intel SSD DC S3700 - 800GB

Driver version was Crimson 16.5.2

(P.S. I could test this with an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition, 32GB of DDR3-2133MHz RAM and an Intel Core i7-4960X but I'm a lazy git and CBA building that stuff into my case...)

So even with relatively dated hardware (barring GFX) the game actually runs very well.
    (In before the AMD fanboi accusations... I got this card for 2 days of work (~12 hours), I did not buy this one, used to have a GTX 980 and 970 but sold those off.. nVidia's multi-monitor switching and friendlyness drove me nuts as well as for some reason HDMI on my 47" TV felt very jittery)

===============

Noticed bugs:
    Scrolling of lore texts is bugged, you have to select another item and then back to the item you want to read and drag the bar down with a mouseclick to read the rest of the text if there are more lines than the border limit, scrolling with wheel rarely works.
    Graphics Settings have to be re-applied 3 times, 1 time in main menu, 1 time after settings reload (done by game) and 1 time AFTER everything was set and the game was loaded.. so in-game settings, BE AWARE OF THIS FOR YOUR OWN TESTING!

I encourage you all to post your results.

I know I could look into normal website reviews but they generally adhere to a single testing platform.
    I would rather see a large number of varying platforms.. hence the posting.

Edit:
    Note that I am not interested in a game review of how it is or w/e.
    I am purely looking for technical information and data, that's why I posted it here rather than the gaming section!
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2016-05-13 at 02:39 AM.

Deleted
    Are you under the impression that this is the developers' feedback board?

Game play footage would be cool too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    No, I am under the impression that this is a board where I can ask things that are technical details and have people respond to it if they so desire.

Not some snarky comment from a smart ass who thinks he's funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Game play footage would be cool too.
    Perfectly fine too to display things indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    No, I am under the impression that this is a board where I can ask things that are technical details and have people respond to it if they so desire.

Not some snarky comment from a smart ass who thinks he's funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfectly fine too to display things indeed.
    Well you didnt really ask any questions

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Well you didnt really ask any questions
    I did not technically ask it no, but I did state something somewhere in my starting post what was desired.
    I'll leave it to you to find instead of adding to the uselessness that was the first reply and the follow-up responses from me and you.

I did state something somewhere
    Thanks for the laughs, haha.

Generally speaking, being rhetorical isnt a good approach to get answers to questions you-never-actually-asked on forums...

I encourage you all to post your results.

I know I could look into normal website reviews but they generally adhere to a single testing platform.
    I would rather see a large number of varying platforms.. hence the posting.
    Here it is, right here. Basically a benchmark and a request for other benchmarks. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not sure why someone would make a deal out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Thanks for the laughs, haha.

Generally speaking, being rhetorical isnt a good approach to get answers to questions you-never-actually-asked on forums...
    Except he did say that he was looking for other data to compare to. That's what a lot of us in this forum like doing, looking at and analyzing data and then comparing and discussing results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Average CPU use was about ~40% .. it would NOT utilize my HyperThreaded cores but only the physical ones and even then only 4, possibly 5 cores in total were utilized.
    Nope Deffy, all your cores are hyperthreaded cores. Hyperthreading makes a single core be able to act as two, you don't have 4 real cores plus 4 "logical" cores. You have 8 logical cores.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Nope Deffy, all your cores are hyperthreaded cores. Hyperthreading makes a single core be able to act as two, you don't have 4 real cores plus 4 "logical" cores. You have 8 logical cores.
    I'ma smack you in a minute Arto..

The HyperThreaded cores are masked cores, I'm actually referring to the point of where DOOM actually ignored the HyperThreads (since a HyperThread is an addendum TO a core and not a split of said core, hence why it's called a Simultaneous Multi-Threading technology) and focus fully on the actual physical cores whilst ignoring the HyperThreads.

Anyway an update ... either OpenGL is doing weird shit or drivers are acting funny but I've experienced several slow-downs so far which basically "Slo-Mo'ed" the game for me, rather than being a slide-show it actually slowed to a crawl in 1 or 2 points where everything was moving in bullet time which wasn't part of the game.
    Dropping to even 17 FPS at points indoors and then shooting straight past again.

Something tells me the DOOM engine is still a bit messy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'ma smack you in a minute Arto..
    The HyperThreaded cores are masked cores, I'm actually referring to the point of where DOOM actually ignored the HyperThreads (since a HyperThread is an addendum TO a core and not a split of said core, hence why it's called a Simultaneous Multi-Threading technology) and focus fully on the actual physical cores whilst ignoring the HyperThreads.
    Hyperthreading cores work in a way, if the task can't multi-thread it'll do them in a single core (or single thread at Windows whichever you prefer) and utilize 100% of the core circuit to do that.

If it support multithreading, like cinebench for example, the Core will act as two and give the option to run the thing with 2 threads per core while each thread will have ~50% of the performance that the entire core would originally have.

Sometimes having a stronger core is better than having many cores, that's the principle behind hyperthreading.

Luckily enough I found a video talking about the said subject that explains the same thing that I'm typing:

If Doom is made to run with 4 thread it's better that it's not trying to utilize 8, as it would decrease your performance. It's a performance improvement when the application is made to split it's things in a way that parallel processing is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Really wish you people would get shot :x

This is an OFF TOPIC Anything and EVERYTHING can be posted here.
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2016-05-14 at 03:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post

This is an OFF TOPIC Anything and EVERYTHING can be posted here.
    And this topic is actually very useful. Anyone playing this game or wanting to play this game can share their experience and see which systems are doing better, etc. It's more useful than the majority of the threads so I don't really see why anyone would even complain lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Highly inappropriate

15+ Year Old Account
    <Lots of stuff>
    That's pretty much what I stated in a nutshell but elaborated further except that Windows can see which are real and which are fake, just you do not.
    DOOM in OpenGL 4.3 API will only utilize the physical cores and not the HyperThreads.

The reason I'm mentioning this is simply to state how it's multi-threading engine is coping.
    This may signify that Core i7's are useless with the OpenGL API, we'll see how that goes when Vulkan is implemented.

I will state that with added testing it will utilize 6 cores at least on my system but 4 continuously and 2 less so.
    I've yet to see it hit 100% with any core though, maximized about ~72% for like a second.

Though the ~50% added performance per core seems too much, the highest I've seen Intel's documentation go is ~35% added.

Deleted
    Today on MMO-C. Top end system gets decent frames in an FPS. Next, water is wet.

I get you want to share the benchmarks of the game, but why not post this in the Doom megathread on the video game board? If we did this for every game released on PC, this board would be full of this, and chance are, if you are looking to buy this game and are a vistor on MMOC, you are probably checking out the doom megathread anyway..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Today on MMO-C. Top end system gets decent frames in an FPS. Next, water is wet.
    Top end system .. 6 years ago yeah, since this is a platform based upon the X58 chipset and not the latest and greatest.
    Nor, technically, is the R9 390X.

Also could you be less of an ass?

I get you want to share the benchmarks of the game, but why not post this in the Doom megathread on the video game board? If we did this for every game released on PC, this board would be full of this, and chance are, if you are looking to buy this game and are a vistor on MMOC, you are probably checking out the doom megathread anyway..
    Except the DOOM megathread or w/e is regarding all aspects of the game, which I do not care about.
    I am purely looking at a technical perspective from this game upon all ages of platforms and graphics.

So if you are not going to contribute but retort with useless drivel than don't comment at all.

Thanks OP for the interesting findings playing Doom 4. I didn't realize this was out yet and I'll have to grab a copy. I still remember the day I bought Doom "shareware" for 3$ on a floppy disk at the book store in my local strip mall. Oh how times have changed.

I'm curious if you are running at 1080p just as a baseline for benchmarking performance or if this is actually the resolution you intend to play the game at? I am truly not trying to be rude or inflammatory but this just feels like a very low resolution to be using given your hardware. Anecdotally in this forum I've noticed a lot of discussion around FPS and everyone always talks about running at 1080p. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with this community to know if this is intentionally downgraded to make comparisons easier or if people actually still commonly use this resolution.

Thanks again for the interesting write up. Can't wait to try this game on my new rig!

If you have a problem with it, report and move on, posting non constructively like this is just as bad, if not worse.

And this topic is actually very useful. Anyone playing this game or wanting to play this game can share their experience and see which systems are doing better, etc. It's more useful than the majority of the threads so I don't really see why anyone would even complain lol.
    Because people are fucking stupid.

They'll complain about anything and everything, especially in an OFF TOPIC forum. Idiocy at it's finest.