Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is RP still a thing ?

I did a little RP around 2008.
    Is it still a thing to RP ? ore do you need to be on a rp server before its valid ?

Deleted
    i did a whole lotta RP with a girl once, mabye 3-4 years ago, i kinda miss her lol

7+ Year Old Account
    RP is really only valid on RP servers but it's alive and kicking!
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

Im going to be bluntly, brutally, traumatically honest...

Yes-and-no.

Is RP still a thing in the sense people still RP on videogames frequently? Yes.

Has the quality decayed over time and become toxic/isolated/stagnant, Yes.

RP communities on most mmo's these days are "pocket communities" as I like to call them, sensetive little social bubbles afraid of anyone joining the pack so you find it hard to feel welcome because theres a strong hostility to newcommers or old returners.

The RP community in my opinion is one of the most toxic in mmo's in general, but on WoW? Even more so... especially, on AD.

AD Horde, not so much, but AD Alliance, ho boy... Night Elf RP is a nightmare, Stormwind RP is extremely insular and any RP beyond it is... as I said, pocket community "get off ma lawn" kind of mentality.

At this point, you either join a guild, or find something non mmo based to RP on.

There are what I like to call "tavern RP" groups that appear but I wouldnt call that RP, its more like random people that rp, standing in a tavern the same way a goldshirean stands in a tavern, waiting for someone to pm them, talk to them, chat with them or take any notice of them.

The saddest part is this group is again, pocket community, because depending on if you find an open minded rper or not is a luck-of-the-draw scenerio, many of which want specifically to lead on their RP into ERP (im not prude but it is fairly common to see people do this).

So if you want the long run down, is RP still around? Yes.

Is it worth comming back to...

Unless your into specific things, or trying to find a way to fit into everyones social bubble/join their guild, then no, its really not.

Also, regarding RP server....

Well honestly, GW2 tried, ESO tried, Wildstar tried, evidently "Megaservers" where theres no means of Rpers congrigating dont really work out well since they dont help newplayers find other RPers.

Simply put, any game that doesnt have an RP server tag is going to suffer a severe lack of RP unless you find the fansite where everyone goes to to find it.

I am just going to leave this here....

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post

Ironically its only half true, he missed the "edgy realistic game of thrones wannabies who dont want any fantasy in their fantasy".

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post

Ok that was brilliant.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Yes, RP is still there and still kind of rich, despite the game overall losing half of its players, and the overall dwindling quality, but it is still kind of fun. However, you are going to be met with a lot of jerk circles and really obnoxious players, as well as cringe inducing concepts.

Basically, I still enjoy RPing on Argent Dawn EU. It's like an above poster said; mostly either random encounters or set up sessions with story lines I move forward with the help of other RPers, so it kinda works I guess.

There are two main things that I began to notice recently on AD for example that really kills it off for me, though:

1- The amount of noble houses and noble RPs. It is as if wherever I run, everyone is noble all of a sudden. I am personally guilty of having a noble character, or two actually that is a brother and a sister, but in my defense I moved from Moonglade originally and this concept wasn't as spread there, and either in character my characters don't act very noblish IC; they in fact are very pleasant people that go to lengths to conceal that about their identity to make interacting with people easier, so as a result, only few people I end up actually RP with as a noble. On the other hand however, everyone somehow gets a kick out of roleplaying as one that when my mage is walking around in Stormwind, sometimes it feels like she is the only commoner amongst all the nobles in Cathedral Square..

2- Now please don't find this insulting; I am not attacking the gay community (I tend to consider myself bisexual), and I bet what I am about to address is done mainly by none gay players for whatever reason, but here goes:

The amount of lesbian couples I see in the streets of Stormwind or Darnassus, or people that are involved in "woman on woman" relationships is astonishing compared to the percentage of heterosexual couples I encounter. We get it, it's the hip things now and gays have rights, but just from a pure math perspective; how often do you run into homosexual couples in lore? I can safely see that I am aware of two couples; one in Hyjal and the other in Arathi, but that's it. The point is, it doesn't look like a very familiar concept on Azeroth to justify this amount of homosexual relationships.

AGAIN KINDLY REFRAIN FROM BRINGING THE SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR INSIDE YOU WHEN ADDRESSING POINT #2; THIS WAS NOT A JAB AT HOMOSEXUALS. LET US DISCUSS WITHIN REASON IF THERE WAS ANY DISCUSSION TO BE MADE OUT OF THIS. READ FIRST, UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE POINT SECOND, ANSWER LATER.

i see it happening all the time on moonguard and wyrmrest accord.

and no, not just erp.

Deleted
    RP exists still, but it is what it has always been: a sideshow that Blizzard does not design for nor promote. To engage in on-client RP you have to face up to the fact that you're trading freedom/inventiveness/scope/Immersion for a predefined community. To my experience it doesn't tend to be a good trade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    1- The amount of noble houses and noble RPs. It is as if wherever I run, everyone is noble all of a sudden.
    How unfortunate the situation is, I have to agree. House guilds seems to make up most of the RP that can be seen in Stormwind, along with military guilds. Also, If one is not a Lord, they're most likely a General or a High Commander. What makes it even worse IMO is that they're all in their 20s or early 30s and without a valid explanaiton of why they've managed to reach this position.

I don't want to insult other military oriented RP guilds, as I've myself been part of one and eventually became a GM of such guild, but there is an issue with the mentality within these types of organisations. The majority of these guilds are short lived due to the fact that they set too high standards for themselves and others. The general route is that they give themselves too high of a rank at the beginning and then strive to fill in the other ranks through recruitment in the Square rather than spending that time on actual content for everyone in the guild.

For an example, A guild is formed with the GM being a Captain or a Major, the officers being Lieutenants and so on down to Private rank. Because of this, most of these guilds spend more time on recruiting to fill in their guild with people than actual RP content. I always recommend to people that they start of small, such as Sergeant being the highest rank. Through this way you don't need a lot of people in the guild to pull off a good RP campaign or event for everyone. And as the guilds slowly grows, you can consider if it's worth raising the maximum rank and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roleplay is still a thing, and still active on many realms, just some have a little clique problem.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The trend ive seen in nearly every EU side RP server in an MMO is this:

1. Most rpers tend to stick to taverns almost exclusivly all the time, and stand in the corner refusing to talk to anyone (see nixxioms 10 types of rpers and specifically number 2, this guy appears alot in taverns). He forgets however to mention that aside from edgy transmogs, realistic toons trying to rp peasants (number 6, and just as bad, frankly screw realism in fantasy okay?) theres just not enough interactive rpers trying to actually create events anymore or drive the community forwards with a daring new aggression.

2. Military RP is crap, in almost every MMO these days, most of them think they're someone special and try to tell you they're the servers most loved community members but in reality thats just a cover to protect their desperate ego's, they just want to impose laws that dont exist on a virtual society and demand everyone follows them or be called a metagamer.

3. Noble RP seems to be the other trend, yes, its almost everywhere if its nowhere, often by very bored people with illusions of importance that dont actually "do" anything productive with their houses.

4. Isolation, its become so bad these days NOBODY wants to talk to ANYONE, do any combat based events that require actual daring conflicts between variable groups. Theres no heroes vs villians theme anymore, there was, at one point but its definatley faded.

5. Too many snowflakes, this is part 1 of a 2 part problem, theres too manypeople so sensetive that you'll step on their characters tail and cry over it and call you a horrible person.

6. Too many elitists, opposite problem with no middle ground, instead of the above, theres also too many people who have such high opinions of themselves (see further above) that they think they are the biggest thing since the comming of leeroy jenkins.

7. Not enough sensible and fun rpers who just wanna actually "do" something and those that do get "shunned" for having an idea.

Simply put.

RP is killing itself because theres too many snowflakes being bruised and too many elitists being obnoxious to help the development of community flourish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post

1. Most rpers tend to stick to taverns almost exclusivly all the time, and stand in the corner refusing to talk to anyone (see nixxioms 10 types of rpers and specifically number 2, this guy appears alot in taverns). He forgets however to mention that aside from edgy transmogs, realistic toons trying to rp peasants (number 6, and just as bad, frankly screw realism in fantasy okay?) theres just not enough interactive rpers trying to actually create events anymore or drive the community forwards with a daring new aggression.

2. Military RP is crap, in almost every MMO these days, most of them think they're someone special and try to tell you they're the servers most loved community members but in reality thats just a cover to protect their desperate ego's, they just want to impose laws that dont exist on a virtual society and demand everyone follows them or be called a metagamer.

3. Noble RP seems to be the other trend, yes, its almost everywhere if its nowhere, often by very bored people with illusions of importance that dont actually "do" anything productive with their houses.

4. Isolation, its become so bad these days NOBODY wants to talk to ANYONE, do any combat based events that require actual daring conflicts between variable groups. Theres no heroes vs villians theme anymore, there was, at one point but its definatley faded.

5. Too many snowflakes, this is part 1 of a 2 part problem, theres too manypeople so sensetive that you'll step on their characters tail and cry over it and call you a horrible person.

6. Too many elitists, opposite problem with no middle ground, instead of the above, theres also too many people who have such high opinions of themselves (see further above) that they think they are the biggest thing since the comming of leeroy jenkins.

7. Not enough sensible and fun rpers who just wanna actually "do" something and those that do get "shunned" for having an idea.

Simply put.

RP is killing itself because theres too many snowflakes being bruised and too many elitists being obnoxious to help the development of community flourish.
    Boy, I am running an arc you would have probably enjoyed, about two groups fighting. Only me and 6 friends are doing it, and some of us are using 2 characters to move events on multiple fronts, and we are done in 3 sessions with the conclusion. We are even doing RP battles (that requires rolling, with the boss having some extra perks like rolling less than 50 doesn't land a hit. It can work if you are good at balancing and deliver very satisfying battles where you have 5 people on the screen at the same time; 4v1 or 3v2 depending on the story.)

If this is your kind of thing, I might run some story driven arcs in the future once the initial hype of Legion cools down. Let me know if you're interested (AD EU.)

But yeah, part of the reason I am only running these things with friends is because 1- they seem to enjoy it, and 2- it's like you mentioned; God forbids you ask a character to lose an RP battle to move the story line a bit even if promised to get their comeback (which happens often.)

I mean, in the arc I am running, one of the characters is kicking so much ass that the final battle would be very satisfactory when we finally band together and bring them down. It requires some planning and pre-coordination, but why not? Why is this wrong in the eyes of some? "i want to react how my character would react on the spot u dont tell me wat 2 do lul!!1!" becomes an invalid excuse with time. OF COURSE I want you to RP your character the way YOU would RP it; I am just setting the scenario up and all the reactions are yours. Nah, some people prefer to sit in Pig n' Whistle and talk about how good their shopping went I guess, and try to pick up ladies (which is even funnier because these days it's mostly female characters picking up other female character. At the rate Azeroth is going according to these guys, in 20 years every one will be homosexuals resulting in no newborns at all, and utlimately Azeroth's extinction.)
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2016-07-28 at 09:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody wants to play a unique and interesting character anymore IMO. It's like every damn character fic I read came from the same source. I can guarantee that at least 80% of RPers follow one or two of these trite characteristics:

- A human or Blood elf paladin or DK of noble descent. Has a family back home worth fighting for and/or "ma wife and kids were killed by Arthas"
    - A night elf "I was there during the war of the ancients..." Talks with ellipsis at the end of all their sentences... Usually a Druid or Hunter. Tries to play some dark and mysterious character straight out of some basic anime.
    - Blood elf who doesn't trust the Horde or is secretly an Alliance apologist. Double agent or w/e.
    - Draenei female who overly adores all the cuteness of Azeroth. Acts like they just saw a bunny for the first time in their life. Squeeees a lot. Probably a male IRL.
    - human Mage who is probably the strongest amongst the Kirin Tor. Was too good for them. Would rather be reading a book or something. Yawn.

People just need to start being creative, please. Nobody wants to be interested in a character they've seen a hundred times already.

I joined a roleplay server when it was brand new and most people had no idea what they were doing, and when there was not a whole lot else to do (vanilla glory days).

At first, it was fun and exciting. But now, years later, we are playing a World of Warcraft where there is a ton of stuff to do, and a lot of the community seems excessively stuck up on themselves or, worse yet, cliquey, making it really hard to jump into a roleplay guild.

I haven't roleplayed since, wow... WotLK, I think, but I did participate casually during vanilla and beyond. Between the community's abrasiveness in general (as far as my experiences in guild roleplay, and poor quality roleplay in taverns), the lack of immersion (personal opinion here, but I just don't feel drawn into the world, nor does it feel like there is a canvas for me to draw onto so to speak), and the simple fact that there's actually fun stuff to do besides AFK in a tavern or troll trade, I haven't roleplayed in years.

It's not dead, at least not on the 1-2 servers that still actively support it, but it's definitely changed, and it's a much more exclusive crowd now. On the plus side, RP servers still have the best communities -- it's why I still play on them, aside from the fact my characters are already stuck there.

My two coins anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Nobody wants to play a unique and interesting character anymore IMO. It's like every damn character fic I read came from the same source. I can guarantee that at least 80% of RPers follow one or two of these trite characteristics:

- A human or Blood elf paladin or DK of noble descent. Has a family back home worth fighting for and/or "ma wife and kids were killed by Arthas"
    - A night elf "I was there during the war of the ancients..." Talks with ellipsis at the end of all their sentences... Usually a Druid or Hunter. Tries to play some dark and mysterious character straight out of some basic anime.
    - Blood elf who doesn't trust the Horde or is secretly an Alliance apologist. Double agent or w/e.
    - Draenei female who overly adores all the cuteness of Azeroth. Acts like they just saw a bunny for the first time in their life. Squeeees a lot. Probably a male IRL.
    - human Mage who is probably the strongest amongst the Kirin Tor. Was too good for them. Would rather be reading a book or something. Yawn.

People just need to start being creative, please. Nobody wants to be interested in a character they've seen a hundred times already.
    No offense, but this is kind of case in points... in both ways. The elitism in talking down about how other people roleplay, and the fact that there simply are really boring roleplayers out there. It's all one extreme or another now, very few roleplayers are about that create decent characters and enjoy casual roleplay.

Don't get me wrong -- elitism is fine. You are entitled to roleplay with the people you want to roleplay with. This is how it should be. But it has the side effect of pushing away potential roleplayers and making roleplay inclusive, encouraging guilds and groups to roleplay with themselves instead of the outside world (which is, in my opinion, a big part of how smaller roleplay servers died).

Everything is super hardcore/elitist/cliquey, or super bad. The days of the casual roleplayer that made a decent character and just wanted to have fun... yeah, I'd argue that might be dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Simply put.

1 & 4-7 I agree with and came up with on my own (before reading anything in this thread), it has really always been this way since the dawn of RP servers, it's just gotten progressively worse with time.

I have no opinion on 2, and I since I don't actively roleplay, I cannot confirm 2 or 3. But I don't doubt they are true.

(Oh, and this is all on the US servers. So it's all pretty similar here.)

The thing is, 1 & 4 occur because of 6 & 7, realistically it's the intolerance of elitists and laziness (or even simply inexperience) of worse roleplayers that causes problems; there just isn't any middle ground.

I mean realistically everyone made 'cliche' or 'snowflake' or even 'mary sue' characters when they were new roleplayers; they probably did god-moding and metagaming too. It's not because they are selfish or bad or whatever, they do it because they have a lack of experience. And instead of being corrected, they are either encouraged (by bad roleplayers), or ignored/insulted by elitist roleplayers. It's a never ending cycle.

I mean, there are exceptions, if you really want to RP you will find a way to do so. But it's a frustrating cycle that damages the server's communities and probably will never change.

(number 6, and just as bad, frankly screw realism in fantasy okay?)
    Depends on what kind of realism you're talking about. If you're talking about people limiting their magic within the bounds of "realism" then yes, fuck literally everything about that. On my paladin I've even been guilty of that, only because I'm afraid others will be like, "OH YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO THAT SNOWFLAKE". But some realism, like armour and weapons, has grounds in fantasy. Even in fantasy, suspension of disbelief has its limits.

You forgot:

- Every Orc that ever plays a haggard veteran of some recent conflict (partially guilty of this one once).
    - Every Gnome that plays a child, or alternativley plays a cute adorable female gnome thats full retard.
    - Every Troll Loa priest that makes shit up about said Loa and doesnt really know shit about them in the lore.
    - Every Elder Druid, ever.
    - Every Archmage, ever.
    - Every Mercenary that sits in the corner acting like a tough guy.
    - Every military soldier/guard rper that thinks they have seen some vietnam flashbacks.
    - Every Pandaren that plays a steriotypical "peacekeeper".
    - Every dwarf that drinks in a tavern, ever.
    - Every human that fakes a lowborn british accent and comes from an edgy criminal background and is "NOT AFFLICTED" Worgen seriously cut that shit out as a brit I get pissed seeing people fake that accent.
    - Every twat that likes to name himself by a human nationality that isnt in game, for example, "Im Westfallian", also, every twat that ends their characters nationality with "Ian" if it isnt in the canon.

#Bitteroldbastardramble.

Soooo yes, all of that.

PS:

If your any of the above, and you like rping any of the above, that doesnt necessarily mean you're shit at rp, it just means you play a steriotype, and frankly they are done to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot:

- Every Orc that ever plays a haggard veteran of some recent conflict (partially guilty of this one once).
    - Every Gnome that plays a child, or alternativley plays a cute adorable female gnome thats full retard.
    - Every Troll Loa priest that makes shit up about said Loa and doesnt really know shit about them in the lore.
    - Every Elder Druid, ever.
    - Every Archmage, ever.
    - Every Mercenary that sits in the corner acting like a tough guy.
    - Every military soldier/guard rper that thinks they have seen some vietnam flashbacks.
    - Every Pandaren that plays a steriotypical "peacekeeper".
    - Every dwarf that drinks in a tavern, ever.
    - Every human that fakes a lowborn british accent and comes from an edgy criminal background and is "NOT AFFLICTED" Worgen seriously cut that shit out as a brit I get pissed seeing people fake that accent.
    - Every twat that likes to name himself by a human nationality that isnt in game, for example, "Im Westfallian", also, every twat that ends their characters nationality with "Ian" if it isnt in the canon.

#Bitteroldbastardramble.

Soooo yes, all of that.

PS:

If your any of the above, and you like rping any of the above, that doesnt necessarily mean you're shit at rp, it just means you play a steriotype, and frankly they are done to death.
    Some of those are just working with the source material though. A dwarf drinking in a tavern is like their shtick :P. Plus some of those race class combos are so extremely rare in RP seeing one is like a unicorn. For every 100 blood elf Paladins there's about 1 troll priest online at the same time :P.

The haggard Orc is kinda all of them, even the NPCs. I agree though people don't need to bring it up in every conversation.

But yes, every mercenary, "tough guy in the corner", Aragorn in the prancing pony tavern kind of people annoy me. So many edgy people acting like depression is a common thing in Azeroth.

Deleted
    tough guy in the corner
    Those people that spend hours just standing in the corner because they are too good to approach others and RP are the worst.