Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    It's dead in the sense that most people saw the glory years of the MMORPG genre and you need to bring something groundbreaking to make it interesting again.

Why bother with new MMORPG's when WoW despite being only a shadow of what it once was still being the most optimized and and finished game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I'd say more evolving. Minmos™ (Destiny) large scale shooters (Battlefield) and other oddities (GTA:Online) are still very much alive and well.
    At best I would call that a de-evolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    At best I would call that a de-evolution.
    Says the Iksar. Matter of opinion.

Path of Exile and Warframe are always doing well for themselves.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Perhaps, in the long run as a genre. I still find WoW to be fun, though, so I'll likely continue to play as it still intrigues me as it has pretty much for over a decade.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

According to comments in this thread, Mario Kart is an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    (STO, rumor is Tera may be).
    Offtopic kinda: But if Tera hits consoles ill play the shit out of that.

Wish Guild Wars 2 would come to ps4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    We're long past the era of players wanting to commit time to building up their character(s)... we've been in this age of instant gratification for the past decade now.
    I... don't? That's one that that I've always enjoyed. Especially in RTS/RPGs, the idea of purchasing upgrades (or crafting them/receiving them as rewards) is something I enjoy greatly. Even moreso when combined with the ability to get additional abilities, fuse abilities, or enhance pre-existing ones.

I don't think it is dead, but it'll probably change a bit. All we can do is wait and see what people come out with.

Sort of hope it stops/dies off. At least, the MMO of this generation, the WoW clones.

If someone can come up with an online game with different ideas/mentalities, then maybe I'd welcome that.

But the grinding, levels, 'quests', and all of the other copy/pasta gameplay ideas needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, that's just it, a huge percentage of the MMO playerbase at large have nothing but WoW as their perspective-building experience.

So anything short of millions - at least - in a single game seems "dead" to a lot of them.
    But that's 2000-2004 and that was huge deal, Broadband was not that common for many people, as were PCs in every home not all that common. Today with more homes than ever connected, with multiple PCs in the home, a few hundred thousand is peanuts. Sure it's enough to sustain a MMO, but that's like a Indie movie making 30 million dollars. It's a respectable amount, but it doesn't qualify as a "Blockbuster (which is making over 100 million)

If you want to impress folks, you need big numbers. If you do so so numbers, then you're just another meh. There's no shame in it, but nothing to get hyped about.