Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

If I enter the new contest will all the forum moderators have access to my real name?

Or/and, will they have access to the names of in-game characters?
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2016-05-24 at 10:59 AM.

https://dev.battle.net/docs/read/log_in_with_bnet

They cannot see your name, everyone have acces to the names of your in-game characters if they dig long enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prudi View Post

They cannot see your name, everyone have acces to the names of your in-game characters if they dig long enough.
    I don't think you're understanding the OP's question. They are referring to the beta key giveaway in which mmo-c want you to kill Illidan and enter the contest by entering your battle.net info.

Terrible idea, and I won't be entering my log in credentials anywhere but on battle.net or the launcher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prudi View Post
    everyone have acces to the names of your in-game characters if they dig long enough.
    No they do not unless I have posted about it and provided I told the truth and provided they believed it. Does anyone know if the sub-forum moderators will have access to all that info? Is there a way for the other users to see the battle tag now?

Why exactly does mmo champion need that information?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonGateClimber View Post
    I don't think you're understanding the OP's question. They are referring to the beta key giveaway in which mmo-c want you to kill Illidan and enter the contest by entering your battle.net info.

Terrible idea, and I won't be entering my log in credentials anywhere but on battle.net or the launcher.
    Have you even read the website?

Check that the login site says https://battle.net.
    If you’re not sure if the site is secure, open a new window and visit battle.net, log in, then return to the third-party site. If it’s secure, you’ll be able to access the site without needing to log in, since you’ve already logged in to Battle.net.

You never actually give MMOChampion your login details
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    The technology/protocol used is not into question. There is no technological security issue here, unless your browser is infected. The question is on the nature of the information shared with mmo champion, to what extend that information is shared to common users or sub-forum moderators and why do they need that information.

You are literally redirected to the battle.net site to do your login. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, I can't take your argument seriously that someone MIGHT see your wow characters name or something dumb like that.

Also make sure to deposit your cash only at the bank and not to the ATM-s, can't trust the machines :S

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    You are literally redirected to the battle.net site to do your login. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, I can't take your argument seriously that someone MIGHT see your wow characters name or something dumb like that.
    Reading Comprehension is a wondrous thing to have.

He is not worried about them knowing his WoW character name. He is worried about them seeing his REAL NAME. Let me repeat that so that you understand.

REAL NAME

Just like the title of the thread says ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Reading Comprehension is a wondrous thing to have.

He is not worried about them knowing his WoW character name. He is worried about them seeing his REAL NAME. Let me repeat that so that you understand.

REAL NAME

Just like the title of the thread says ffs.
    No amount of caps and bold will change the already given answer.

Ummm, you do go through Blizzard.
    I'll dumb it down to help: Imagine when something says "sign in through Facebook" -- same concept.

They only have access to whatever the API will allow them to have access to. That's it.
    If you have a Facebook account you've given more out about yourself than Blizzard will ever conceivably ever be able to know about you.

They won't have access to your real name. Blizzard got shit shoved up it's nose when they tried this before and learn, for legal reasons, why this is a fucking stupid and bad idea. Blizzard got their hubris and arrogance rectally shoved up their ass. If you weren't there for that... oh man did you miss out. The demonic taint inside of me giggled like kids laughing at a fart in school. It was glorious to have them learn that lesson with such brutality.

If you were honestly interested you would look up what the API has access to and paid more attention to what's going on. Instead.. you trusting internet strangers to tell you what's going on? Really? You're that scared that you don't trust MMO-C but you totally trust us though? I.. literally can't even.
    Last edited by ElDoorO; 2016-05-24 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Ummm, you do go through Blizzard.
    I'll dumb it down to help: Imagine when something says "sign in through Facebook" -- same concept.

They only have access to whatever the API will allow them to have access to. That's it.
    If you have a Facebook account you've given more out about yourself than Blizzard will ever conceivably ever be able to know about you.

They won't have access to your real name. Blizzard got shit shoved up it's nose when they tried this before and learn, for legal reasons, why this is a fucking stupid and bad idea. Blizzard got their hubris and arrogance rectally shoved up their ass. If you weren't there for that... oh man did you miss out. The demonic taint inside of me giggled like kids laughing at a fart in school. It was glorious to have them learn that lesson with such brutality.

If you were honestly interested you would look up what the API has access to and paid more attention to what's going on. Instead.. you trusting internet strangers to tell you what's going on? Really? You're that scared that you don't trust MMO-C but you totally trust us though? I.. literally can't even.
    IIRC doesn't Facebook tell you what the app is going to access when you allow it to connect? I have never seen a battle.net login say anything of that nature. If it went the way of Facebook and said, by logging in and connecting this site, said site will have access to blah blah blah, then it probably would not be an issue.

IIRC doesn't Facebook tell you what the app is going to access when you allow it to connect? I have never seen a battle.net login say anything of that nature. If it went the way of Facebook and said, by logging in and connecting this site, said site will have access to blah blah blah, then it probably would not be an issue.
    Yes, yes it does. It says everything it will access (friends list, email address, etc). You can also go back and decline that apps future access (which I regularly go back and do if I'm no longer using the app).

When I see a FB app that says it wants my friends list and email address I nope on out of that. I will not be subscribed to spam.

Deleted
    i doubt they will be able to see your real name, if they could, this is a terrible contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    No amount of caps and bold will change the already given answer.
    The person I was responding to did not give an answer (Hint: the question was does logging in share the users real name from his B.Net account to MMO-C). They said the login resides on Battle.net (which is a given). The same as any site that logs into Facebook (the login is residing on Facebook.com).

The issue is that they cannot read and are stating that the other poster is worried about people knowing their WoW name, which is 100% not what is being talked about in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes it does. It says everything it will access (friends list, email address, etc). You can also go back and decline that apps future access (which I regularly go back and do if I'm no longer using the app).

When I see a FB app that says it wants my friends list and email address I nope on out of that. I will not be subscribed to spam.
    Yeah, that is what I thought. As for B.Net, who knows what they are sharing when you log into your account to link it to a site. i do the same thing with regards to sites/apps and Facebook. if it wants anything that it can use to contact me or someone I know, I opt out.

Also with Blizz, once you link your account here, there is no option to 'un-link' it. Which means that you could be allowing them to always have future access to your info (whatever is shared).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    Have you even read the website?

Check that the login site says https://battle.net.
    If you’re not sure if the site is secure, open a new window and visit battle.net, log in, then return to the third-party site. If it’s secure, you’ll be able to access the site without needing to log in, since you’ve already logged in to Battle.net.

Jup, worked like a charm. Didn't have to type in my Account-Name (EMail) OR the Password. Interesting system indeed.

The person I was responding to did not give an answer (Hint: the question was does logging in share the users real name from his B.Net account to MMO-C). They said the login resides on Battle.net (which is a given). The same as any site that logs into Facebook (the login is residing on Facebook.com).

The issue is that they cannot read and are stating that the other poster is worried about people knowing their WoW name, which is 100% not what is being talked about in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that is what I thought. As for B.Net, who knows what they are sharing when you log into your account to link it to a site. i do the same thing with regards to sites/apps and Facebook. if it wants anything that it can use to contact me or someone I know, I opt out.

Also with Blizz, once you link your account here, there is no option to 'un-link' it. Which means that you could be allowing them to always have future access to your info (whatever is shared).
    Well, the easiest thing is to look up how they do this (simple: API access). What will the API allow them to know? Basically anything in your armor and your full list of characters.

Indeed, they do have future access. I used the bnet option last time and I didn't need to login this time.

The term often used for this feature is called "SSO" or Single Sign On.

I have to ask: What are you REALLY afraid of? That they'll know you like a hunter and in 6 months they'll know you have a 900 rating in pvp on said hunter? I don't understand what there is to be afraid of here.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Or/and, will they have access to the names of in-game characters?
    I know you can be worried about what information is out there, but you really don't have to worry about this. While the API that connects to Battle.net is being used, certain information is gathered but the Moderators won't have direct access to it. A few others might, however that information is probably going to be locked away if saved at all.

What they are going to be doing is running a program that asks Blizzard if your account has killed Illadin, if you did, then it will flag you for a chance to win. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Now for most contests, you do need to provide your real name. Since MMO-Champion is a reputable site, I doubt they will sell your name to any company. Asides, not much people can do with just a name and nothing else. They can't access any specific account information through the API as features like that are locked out. If they managed to do something of that nature Blizzard will then take up responsibility in preserving your account if that is what you're worried about. Doesn't mean they will help you if you just give people your account information, just through the API's features.

Well, the easiest thing is to look up how they do this (simple: API access). What will the API allow them to know? Basically anything in your armor and your full list of characters.

Indeed, they do have future access. I used the bnet option last time and I didn't need to login this time.

The term often used for this feature is called "SSO" or Single Sign On.

I have to ask: What are you REALLY afraid of? That they'll know you like a hunter and in 6 months they'll know you have a 900 rating in pvp on said hunter? I don't understand what there is to be afraid of here.
    For character info I do not think anyone has any real concerns. The concern was whether or not it also gave them access to your real name. Since they do not state what is being shared, it could make some people be very cautious.

For character info I do not think anyone has any real concerns. The concern was whether or not it also gave them access to your real name. Since they do not state what is being shared, it could make some people be very cautious.
    But that was quite literally answered in the second comment which should have been /thread.
    Do you see how silly this is? Direct information was given. Then it was thrown away. You can't get better information than that.

Why would you trust anyone in this thread more than Blizzard's own API?