1. #9521
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    Half a dozen games tonight, 2 close, 1 good. Match quality has been getting steadily worse for a while, but I think I've reached a tipping point where bad games are just vastly outnumbering good. Even winning sucks when it's usually a stomp either because you have a good smurf or one of their team is throwing.

    It's not just toxicity, it's broken MMR, it's the amount of smurfing/boosting/throwing that goes on, it's bad balance, it's player apathy. There's no integrity in the system anymore because "I don't care because it's my smurf", "it's not my account" and all this. So, obviously fewer and fewer players care about a system that's so very obviously broken for them. There's nothing to play for, nothing to lose, because whatever happens you can just get a new account and start over.

    The devs seems equally disinterested, which is kinda sad. They put a ton of effort into the endorsement system, improving the report system, building AI to pick up bots and boosters, then go ahead and join the cool kids on Twitch with 'smurfing is cool yo', 'no consequences for being bad'. Too busy trying to look cool with the cool kids that they willingly undermine their own work. It's sad.

    I guess I'll play the event out, but I'll be back to WoW on Nov 1. At least bans there are meaningful with time lost, and toys taken away; people actually want to avoid it for their main accounts.

  2. #9522
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,192
    I don't know that I've ever seen Blizzard say they are cool with smurfing, just that they don't know how to fix it.

    And honestly I don't really have an idea myself that wouldn't have negative repercussions in other ways. Like you can have MMR adjust faster, but then that would also unfairly punish people who have a bad day or a bad streak. And usually they are grouped with a friend to carry, how do you do that without punishing legit groups that just happen to have some reasonable skill disparity?

    I had a game the other day with a widow that had over 85% critical accuracy, nearly every shot was a headshot and they were just chaining them constantly as my team ran out of base. That is the only time I've ever encountered someone I genuinely suspected was aimbotting. If they weren't, that was a smurf account for sure, of someone crazy good. Very frustrating but at least it was over insanely quick.

    Anyway, it's definitely an issue but I am not sure how Blizzard could fix it. I feel like since they haven't, Blizzard isn't sure how to fix it either. (I mean, unless they really have advocated it, but I am going to guess that was just hyperbole over the frustration with the situation)

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  3. #9523
    Smurfing is an issue in a lot of games and I don't think anyone's really had a ton of success actually dealing with it. Not without jumping through some hoops for it (iirc DotA2 requires a phone number or something.)

    Had someone accuse a Soldier of aimbotting but after watching the moment prior to that accusation the accuser was killed sliding off some terrain, so I doubt rather than aimbotting they were just able to move the cursor in a straight line. (plus a replay of them killing me showed them to just have pretty good aim, but still not anywhere aimbot level)

  4. #9524
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't know that I've ever seen Blizzard say they are cool with smurfing, just that they don't know how to fix it.

    And honestly I don't really have an idea myself that wouldn't have negative repercussions in other ways. Like you can have MMR adjust faster, but then that would also unfairly punish people who have a bad day or a bad streak. And usually they are grouped with a friend to carry, how do you do that without punishing legit groups that just happen to have some reasonable skill disparity?

    I had a game the other day with a widow that had over 85% critical accuracy, nearly every shot was a headshot and they were just chaining them constantly as my team ran out of base. That is the only time I've ever encountered someone I genuinely suspected was aimbotting. If they weren't, that was a smurf account for sure, of someone crazy good. Very frustrating but at least it was over insanely quick.

    Anyway, it's definitely an issue but I am not sure how Blizzard could fix it. I feel like since they haven't, Blizzard isn't sure how to fix it either. (I mean, unless they really have advocated it, but I am going to guess that was just hyperbole over the frustration with the situation)
    They said that having alt accounts is fine, but that boosting throwing are not. They also said using an alt account while another is suspended is also fine. It's not a circle they can square, because any punishment they met out for throwing and boosting on smurfs doesn't effect the main or other smurf accounts; so basically they're cool with it.

  5. #9525
    Played Season 1-8 comp, stepped away because of how toxic people were becoming. Played a few games last night, and it's even worse.

    Is this fairly normal at this point for the Overwatch community? I play Pharah almost exclusively, have had many diamond < rankings in the App. But also swap to Mei/Rein/Zen when we need to counter something or if they have hit scan players who are actually good.

    Last night I was gold dmg/elim/obj elim, and silver on time in the 3 games I played as Pharah. And half the team bitched at me constantly because they had two hit scan heroes ( who I killed regularly, and only died to twice ). They went as far as starting to throw even after I solo cap'd a point with an ult, all because I wouldn't switch ( I wasn't dying ) when they thought I should.

    Is this really how it goes now? If I don't play the hero my team thinks I should play, I get trolled.
    Am I wrong for not switching even though the enemy hit scan heros did not slow me down or kill me?

    No trolling here, honest questions about current gameplay and community. Not sure I want to jump back into comp if this is how its going to be.

    PS. I generally float between 2100-2500, only breaching 3k once when I had a 6 stack that played regularly together.

  6. #9526
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,192
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Is this fairly normal at this point for the Overwatch community? I play Pharah almost exclusively, have had many diamond < rankings in the App. But also swap to Mei/Rein/Zen when we need to counter something or if they have hit scan players who are actually good.

    Last night I was gold dmg/elim/obj elim, and silver on time in the 3 games I played as Pharah. And half the team bitched at me constantly because they had two hit scan heroes ( who I killed regularly, and only died to twice ). They went as far as starting to throw even after I solo cap'd a point with an ult, all because I wouldn't switch ( I wasn't dying ) when they thought I should.

    Is this really how it goes now? If I don't play the hero my team thinks I should play, I get trolled.
    Am I wrong for not switching even though the enemy hit scan heros did not slow me down or kill me?

    No trolling here, honest questions about current gameplay and community. Not sure I want to jump back into comp if this is how its going to be.
    No, you weren't wrong to stay if the hitscans weren't hurting you, especially if it's a hero you play well. I'm of the mind that playing a less ideal hero that you're really strong at is better than playing a hero that is perfect for comp that you're not particularly good at. But frankly "they have hitscans" as a sole argument is pretty dumb. Maybe they do but they're bad. Maybe their better players are one that are easily countered by Pharah. Maybe it's a really strong Pharah map. There are so many relevant variables to comp that you really have to look at all of them. However, it is a team game so I feel like at some point if the entire team wants you to switch to something else, even if their reasoning isn't a very great one, it's worth considering for the sake of cooperation. If nothing else so you can say "things were going much better for us when I was playing Pharah, I would like to switch back."

    As far as toxicity in general, in my experience, I've not noticed any kind of recent decline in the community. I'm not saying it's great, just that it is about as bad as its always been. If anything, my experiences in Overwatch seem marginally better than some other online team experiences, although the difference may be negligible. Also, to be fair, you can't really judge off of a few games in a row, because you're often playing with the same people on quick requeues who carry over their attitude from prior games. For that reason, when you have shitty experiences, you tend to have a bunch in a row until you take a breather, both because those people might be showing up repeatedly and also because one might be tilted from past negative interactions and reacting too defensively or quickly as a result. That's just my two cents on that.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  7. #9527
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    “They have hitscans” is a terrible case for no Pharah, they have to be effective ones and a great many are not. Hell, I’ve regularly seen players go hit scan seemingly to deal with her and it still be left to Ana and/or me (on D.Va or Orisa) to actually deal with her.

    Otherwise yeah, the community isn’t worth bothering with in game.

  8. #9528
    Just played a game with 4 damage mains, 3 of which were grouped players. Ended the game playing 2 rounds of Moira on Anubis and came out with 5 gold medals. Interesting time.

  9. #9529
    Fuck this game for 2 reasons.

    1 - Its complete bullshit that in an overtime game, both teams get their time
    reset when in the last set of the second round, one team gets actual time on
    the clock, compared to the other team capping via overtime (i.e. 0 time.) The
    team with time should be the ONLY team to get a final chance.

    2 - Keeping me still in this bullshit rank with further bullshit teammates. This
    game is the fucking worst.

  10. #9530
    I fell in love with the game a couple of years ago but the amount of hybrid classes introduced lately seems overwhelming and ruins the fun. Literally the same element that ruined WoW PvP back in the day. Then again certain DPS-classes have way too "easy & guaranteed kills" with their ultis such as Genji, Junk & Dfist.

    • Doomfist damage completely out of control for the amount of movement and defense he has
    • Brigitte damage insane for the utility she has with stuns, knockbacks, shield, movement and healing
    • Moira burst DPS in another league compared to the original healers, whilst still outhealing them. Her aim-locking beam also WTF?

    On the other hand things like Ana's lack of movement with zero defensive abilities sucks the fun out of the games. From a casual player's PoV my gameplay has very little impact on team performance with a tank or a healer. I main Rein, Lucio & Ana. I rarely get any appreciation and I'm forced off DPS with the amount of plain stubborn "insta lock DPS" -players that have a major impact in low ELO games. Also the geographical fact there are a billion Russians in our games makes communication occasionally a huge problem.
    <Security> of Frostmane EU

  11. #9531
    Pharah getting buffs is one of the single most retarded decisions blizzard has ever done in regards to this game.

  12. #9532
    Had someone call pharah+mercy "cheese" earlier today. It's so much fun playing at shitty levels like gold/plat where no one can aim with hitscan lol

  13. #9533
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,192
    Why is "avoid as teammate" only an optional while you're currently on a team with that person? Why can't I choose to avoid anyone I've encountered that seems shitty?

    Played a game with some dude who made passive-aggressive comments all game, including scolding me (healing on brigette) for not killing the pharah (him and the guy he was grouped with had insta-locked sombra and soldier and were our only dps). It was a tough match but we won, yet he still made some snarky comment about it being a shocker that we did considering how bad we were. The next game, he was on my team again and continued to have his panties in a bunch all match about dumb shit. The third game put him on the other team and then he whined about them being bad in allied chat. Funny enough, the main reason they lost the match was because him and his friend both left the match and rejoined again after ~20 seconds right at a critical moment. It was enough time for us to steamroll through them and they never recovered.

    At that point, I wanted to avoid him but it wouldn't give me it as an option since he wasn't on my team anymore.

    My favourite part was that after that match, he threw a tantrum in the "waiting for players" skirmish because his team had picked too many snipers. IT WASN'T EVEN A REAL MATCH. I had to dequeue at that point before I ended up having to go another round of listening to his PMS.

    Like, dude, go for a walk or something. You need to chill the fuck out.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  14. #9534
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Why is "avoid as teammate" only an optional while you're currently on a team with that person? Why can't I choose to avoid anyone I've encountered that seems shitty?

    Played a game with some dude who made passive-aggressive comments all game, including scolding me (healing on brigette) for not killing the pharah (him and the guy he was grouped with had insta-locked sombra and soldier and were our only dps). It was a tough match but we won, yet he still made some snarky comment about it being a shocker that we did considering how bad we were. The next game, he was on my team again and continued to have his panties in a bunch all match about dumb shit. The third game put him on the other team and then he whined about them being bad in allied chat. Funny enough, the main reason they lost the match was because him and his friend both left the match and rejoined again after ~20 seconds right at a critical moment. It was enough time for us to steamroll through them and they never recovered.

    At that point, I wanted to avoid him but it wouldn't give me it as an option since he wasn't on my team anymore.

    My favourite part was that after that match, he threw a tantrum in the "waiting for players" skirmish because his team had picked too many snipers. IT WASN'T EVEN A REAL MATCH. I had to dequeue at that point before I ended up having to go another round of listening to his PMS.

    Like, dude, go for a walk or something. You need to chill the fuck out.
    You have to go through the social tab and recent players to click avoid there as for some reason.

  15. #9535
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You have to go through the social tab and recent players to click avoid there as for some reason.
    That's dumb, because I can right-click them in game and select it there when we're grouped. I don't understand why they would make it so that option disappeared after no longer being on the same team.

    Good to know though, but still a dumb design.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  16. #9536
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    That's dumb, because I can right-click them in game and select it there when we're grouped. I don't understand why they would make it so that option disappeared after no longer being on the same team.

    Good to know though, but still a dumb design.
    They stopped letting you to ignore enemies after people just blacklisted good players they didn't want to fight anymore and those people got longer queues as a result. Now if you're ignoring your own team mates it's probably because they're actually insufferable little gits, which is a more valid reason.

  17. #9537
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    They stopped letting you to ignore enemies after people just blacklisted good players they didn't want to fight anymore and those people got longer queues as a result. Now if you're ignoring your own team mates it's probably because they're actually insufferable little gits, which is a more valid reason.
    Yeah, I remember that but that's a different thing. This feature actually does exist, just apparently is accessed in different places depending on whether you're in or outside a match with them. This isn't a true ignore, this just prevents you from getting grouped with a particular player on your team, but they can still be on the other team, and you're only allowed to put a few people on it at a time.

    In match, if you right-click them on the game roster, where is "avoid this teammate" option on the drop down. Apparently after game you need to go into the social recent-players menu to do the same. But it is an option!

    Mute/block also work if you don't want to hear them prattle on about whatever, but you'll still end up grouped with them if you just use that.

    But yes as you said, there's no true ignore where you won't ever see that player again at all, for the reasons you mentioned.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  18. #9538
    try playing games... play 3 games... 5 throwers... wtf... why do they never ban these people?

  19. #9539
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah, I remember that but that's a different thing. This feature actually does exist, just apparently is accessed in different places depending on whether you're in or outside a match with them. This isn't a true ignore, this just prevents you from getting grouped with a particular player on your team, but they can still be on the other team, and you're only allowed to put a few people on it at a time.

    In match, if you right-click them on the game roster, where is "avoid this teammate" option on the drop down. Apparently after game you need to go into the social recent-players menu to do the same. But it is an option!

    Mute/block also work if you don't want to hear them prattle on about whatever, but you'll still end up grouped with them if you just use that.

    But yes as you said, there's no true ignore where you won't ever see that player again at all, for the reasons you mentioned.
    I'm aware the option to avoid as team mates exists, during or after - I'm not sure what I said to imply otherwise, but eh.

  20. #9540
    why does this game still have the worst fucking hitboxes after almost 3 years ??????

    Oh look i shot 50m above your head... Headshot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •