1. #9701
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    How so? I've found the matchmaking to be pretty chill.
    Because the game will throw you (purposely) on a non-stop losing streak, then stop you for
    a handful of games before throwing you again. And from there, there's no win streak. It literally
    traps you.

    Anytime you try to climb out, it literally yanks on your chain and throws you back into ranks you
    don't deserve to be in.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2019-01-12 at 04:31 AM.

  2. #9702
    Herald of the Titans Katie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    2,640
    Starting to get very annoyed by how easy it is for reinhardt to disrupt your gameplay. Just run after you holding left-click and you can't aim because you're being pushed around all the time and your team is stupid and doesn't focus him down with no shield up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Because the game will throw you (purposely) on a non-stop losing streak, then stop you for
    a handful of games before throwing you again. And from there, there's no win streak. It literally
    traps you.

    Anytime you try to climb out, it literally yanks on your chain and throws you back into ranks you
    don't deserve to be in.
    If you can't climb you are where you should be. If you do not improve you will be stuck.

  3. #9703
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    If you can't climb you are where you should be. If you do not improve you will be stuck.
    No, that is, and always has been bullshit.

    The very fact that this game's MM gets so much shit is because OTHER PLAYERS are as equally
    responsible as the user for whether they climb. Its retarded to expect every player to carry a
    game alone. Not everyone is a dps main, and not everyone is top 500.

    So no, its most of the time, not "where you should be." If the game throws you shitty teammates,
    and you don't win, that is NOT your fault.

  4. #9704
    Herald of the Titans Katie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    No, that is, and always has been bullshit.

    The very fact that this game's MM gets so much shit is because OTHER PLAYERS are as equally
    responsible as the user for whether they climb. Its retarded to expect every player to carry a
    game alone. Not everyone is a dps main, and not everyone is top 500.

    So no, its most of the time, not "where you should be." If the game throws you shitty teammates,
    and you don't win, that is NOT your fault.
    No, that is how this rating system works. I have friends who say it is impossible to get out of silver. I play their accounts and then after a few days of playing on it they are in platinum, could be in diamond if I kept playing on their accounts. They can't stay in platinum and go back down to silver and blame it on their teammates instead of owing up to their skill not being good enough to be in platinum.

  5. #9705
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Because the game will throw you (purposely) on a non-stop losing streak, then stop you for
    a handful of games before throwing you again. And from there, there's no win streak. It literally
    traps you.

    Anytime you try to climb out, it literally yanks on your chain and throws you back into ranks you
    don't deserve to be in.
    So how come people who are good can climb out of the lower tiers? You don't see GMs hardstuck in gold, because they thrash everyone and win.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    No, that is, and always has been bullshit.

    The very fact that this game's MM gets so much shit is because OTHER PLAYERS are as equally
    responsible as the user for whether they climb. Its retarded to expect every player to carry a
    game alone. Not everyone is a dps main, and not everyone is top 500.

    So no, its most of the time, not "where you should be." If the game throws you shitty teammates,
    and you don't win, that is NOT your fault.
    No, that's not true. Some knowledge of probability and statistics would tell you that you have a larger impact on your ability to climb than your teammates.

  6. #9706
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    Actually I’ve seen a lot of higher ranked players saying that they have alt accounts that are hard stuck in Gold. I mean, eventually you should get out but it isn’t necessarily as easy as just getting good.

    As for my own games, I’m back in Silver. Quit tanking and it’s basically where my DPS probably should be right now. I’m maining Ashe (with some Pharah and Widowmaker) and getting better, starting to win and climb a bit again. As frustrating as dropping 400SR was initially, it tought me that being honest with myself, that my DPS probably has been the hole in my skillset that stopped me climbing. I always had poor win rates when pushed to it, and I guess this experience has proven it is where I need to get better, and few matches last night I’m starting to feel like I am getting better.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2019-01-12 at 10:47 AM.

  7. #9707
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Actually I’ve seen a lot of higher ranked players saying that they have alt accounts that are hard stuck in Gold.
    Can you cite that? Of course it's not just git gud, it's git gud and also play enough games. If you only play 10 games you're not gonna climb out of anywhere, but if you are good and you play well consistently your SR will reflect this. No GM player is hardstuck in gold.

  8. #9708
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,288
    Yeah, no I’m not going to trawl through months and months of forum posts for comments that come up largely in passing.

  9. #9709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Yeah, no I’m not going to trawl through months and months of forum posts for comments that come up largely in passing.
    I'd assume if having accounts hardstuck in gold was even a remote possibility it'd be quite easy to find a twitch clip or youtube video where this is easily cited.

  10. #9710
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    No, that is how this rating system works. I have friends who say it is impossible to get out of silver. I play their accounts and then after a few days of playing on it they are in platinum, could be in diamond if I kept playing on their accounts. They can't stay in platinum and go back down to silver and blame it on their teammates instead of owing up to their skill not being good enough to be in platinum.
    Then it depends entirely on the role you're playing.

    If you're a dps, yeah, it's a lot more doable to climb in the rankings. If you're a tank or support main, it isn't.

    Either way, yes, that is how the system works. This is a TEAM based game. If you're team fails, you are going
    to fail (unless you're a very skilled dps, and even then, you're bound to have some trouble at some point).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    So how come people who are good can climb out of the lower tiers? You don't see GMs hardstuck in gold, because they thrash everyone and win.
    DPS mains.

    No, that's not true. Some knowledge of probability and statistics would tell you that you have a larger impact on your ability to climb than your teammates.
    It is true. In a TEAM based game, the performance of the team (including yourself) is what ultimately wins
    the game. If someone (or multiple) people are pure garbage, your game is now significantly more difficult
    to impossible to win, since now it depends on how good or bad the opposite team is. Since draws don't
    happen all that often, you'll find that most of the time, teams aren't going to be even. Given how fucking
    incompetent OW's MM is, the real question in every game is how many bad players are in each team. The
    one with the most throwers, leavers, insta-lockers, toxic one is the loser, and the one that has the least,
    and maybe a smurf here or there, is the winner.

    The game absolutely blames you for the terrible performance of other players, which is absolutely unfair.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2019-01-12 at 03:40 PM.

  11. #9711
    Herald of the Titans Katie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Then it depends entirely on the role you're playing.

    If you're a dps, yeah, it's a lot more doable to climb in the rankings. If you're a tank or support main, it isn't.

    Either way, yes, that is how the system works. This is a TEAM based game. If you're team fails, you are going
    to fail (unless you're a very skilled dps, and even then, you're bound to have some trouble at some point).
    No, it doesn't. I've played healers, I've played tanks and I've played DPS. If you are meant to gain rating, you will gain rating. If you are not meant to gain rating, you won't and it doesn't matter what you play. The character that is easiest for me to gain rating with is if I just play Roadhog. Not a DPS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    It is true. In a TEAM based game, the performance of the team (including yourself) is what ultimately wins
    the game. If someone (or multiple) people are pure garbage, your game is now significantly more difficult
    to impossible to win, since now it depends on how good or bad the opposite team is.
    If you are supposed to gain rating, you are better than the bad players and thus your team has an advantage but if you're not better than them then you either are where you should be or you are too high and will go down in rating.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    The game absolutely blames you for the terrible performance of other players, which is absolutely unfair.
    No, it doesn't. Your own performance is what affects how much rating you win or lose up until diamond. If you perform very good, you will gain rating very fast. If you perform really bad, you will lose rating fast. When I play my friends account it doesn't matter if I lose 4 games in a row, if I won one I gained more rating than was lost when losing 4 games.
    Last edited by Katie N; 2019-01-12 at 03:55 PM.

  12. #9712
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Then it depends entirely on the role you're playing.

    If you're a dps, yeah, it's a lot more doable to climb in the rankings. If you're a tank or support main, it isn't.

    Either way, yes, that is how the system works. This is a TEAM based game. If you're team fails, you are going
    to fail (unless you're a very skilled dps, and even then, you're bound to have some trouble at some point).
    Where are you getting these postulates from? It's no harder or easier to carry as anything, generally, maybe sustain-y heroes like soldier, road, mei are easier to abuse for SR in the lower ELOs but generally you have to just play better than your enemy counterpart.

    I found climbing as D.Va/Zarya incredibly easy (at least up to diamond), and some support mains argue carrying as an Ana is entirely possible if you're good and use comms. Trying to climb as DPS is aids just because people scream for you to switch every other game, which makes climbing for me harder because I just stop using comms. Also, climbing as Brig is literally the easiest thing in the world, anything below 2900 and they just fall over when you pick Brig and roll them off the point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    snip
    No, not DPS mains. Anything mains. Good players are good, whatever they main, with brand new accounts they can play Tank/Supp/whatever and still place masters after placements. Expecting to carry as DPS is the gold mentality and that makes games garbage when everyone jumps on DPS and then screams at everyone else to switch.

    Yes, the performance of the team determines whether you win or lose, this is entirely correct. But on average, the enemy team is more likely to have garbage players than you are, assuming of course, you are not garbage. If you are playing at the correct SR, you will win on average, 50% of your games. If you are playing better, you will climb, if you are playing worse, you will drop.

    I've found the Overwatch MMR system to work pretty well, on my second account I placed just under my main playing DPS rather than tank. Generally if I play well I go on win streaks and if I'm playing poorly I'll go on loss streaks.

  13. #9713
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    Yes, it does.

    snip
    No.

    snip
    Yes, it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    No, not DPS mains. Anything mains. Good players are good, whatever they main, with brand new accounts they can play Tank/Supp/whatever and still place masters after placements. Expecting to carry as DPS is the gold mentality and that makes games garbage when everyone jumps on DPS and then screams at everyone else to switch.
    Absolutely untrue. A godlike healer doesn't carry the game. Not unless the rest of the team is at least, mildly competent.
    A team of average to less than average can absolutely be carried by a high level dps player. I've been on the receiving end
    and won with high level dps who would absolutely carry the entire game. No healer has ever been the cause of my team
    losing. It has always been because of a dps shredding everyone, and vice versa.

    Yes, the performance of the team determines whether you win or lose, this is entirely correct. But on average, the enemy team is more likely to have garbage players than you are, assuming of course, you are not garbage. If you are playing at the correct SR, you will win on average, 50% of your games. If you are playing better, you will climb, if you are playing worse, you will drop.
    And if you are playing optimally to your ability, and the team doesn't, guess what happens? You are penalized for it
    by losing just as much as them.

    I've found the Overwatch MMR system to work pretty well
    We are going to vehemently disagree on that one.

  14. #9714
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    snip
    You've never seen a good Ana play if you think they can't carry.

    And yes, even if you're playing god-like and hard carrying you may still lose. This however, will be rare. This is why you have to play many games to climb, you'll never win every single game unless you're a GM widow/hanzo playing in Bronze/Silver where you can headshot your way to victory. Once people are semi-competant, however, you will indeed need more than 1 competent player to achieve victory.

    I feel like this is just gonna go around in circles, but feel free to continue blaming your team and being hardstuck in plat, I guess. In the mean time I'll continue enjoying OW and climbing as my ability improves. Good players are busy doing the same.

  15. #9715
    I see a lot of people complaining about Overwatch matchmaking and it has become clear to me that you all think you are the center of the universe.

    I am a Grandmaster player, when I started I was bronze equivalent(rating system functioned differently at the beginning of Overwatch.) I want to push top 500 and I know I am not good enough to get that yet, so I focus on my gameplay and what I can do to turn myself from middling GM to t500, this is the attitude that I took from when I started and to now.

    If you cannot climb it is because you belong in the rank you are in. At present I have 3 alternate accounts that I have placed at various ranks intentionally: 1 in Bronze/Silver for the lulz and doing silly shit + playing with my friend at that SR range, 1 in gold/plat/diamond flux for one tricking bastion and 1 in masters for playing Genji. I am by my standards, bad at Genji. I have in previous seasons on those accounts just played them to GM to see how easily I could do it.

    tldr: Stop whining, learn to be positive, learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-12 at 06:52 PM.

  16. #9716
    Deleted
    Bad, they really need to add a region for only english speakers. Having germans, french or russian ppl who won't speak english nor understand it makes for terrible matchmaking. Russians should preferably be confined to their own server.

  17. #9717
    Herald of the Titans Katie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    We are going to vehemently disagree on that one.
    That's not so much disagreement as denial. If you can't rise in rating then you are not better than the rating you are at. If you are dropping in rating then you are not good enough for the rating you are at.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    tldr: Stop whining, learn to be positive, learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    I just mute chat and voice chat most of the time. No good being on either playing on SEA servers. I gained rating from doing that.

    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/ov...-on-sea/164662

    People like this who will attack you for being Vietnamese, racist rants all game.

  18. #9718
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    You've never seen a good Ana play if you think they can't carry.
    They can't by themselves. If the rest of the team is at least average, then sure, a very good Ana can help
    them immensely, since at the very most, they're competent enough.

    And yes, even if you're playing god-like and hard carrying you may still lose.
    Oh of course. But your team would have to be playing absolutely abysmally in order for that to happen.
    2 teams that are equivalent in skill but one has a high level smurf should always have the smurf win,
    barring a hail mary ultimate.

    I feel like this is just gonna go around in circles, but feel free to continue blaming your team and being hardstuck in plat, I guess. In the mean time I'll continue enjoying OW and climbing as my ability improves. Good players are busy doing the same.
    If any of that was true, then there wouldn't be so many complaints about Overwatch's match making system, and Blizzard themselves
    wouldn't have to explain the need to improve it, state that they understand the frustrations and problems it has, and so on. The devs
    have outright said that the system isn't working as intended. So you and anyone else who keeps harping the same bullshit about the
    system working fine and so on, continue to be flat out wrong. Plenty of streamers and even some pros state that MM is absolute trash
    at all levels. Even gaming websites have complained about the state of the system.

    And one of their complaints being that it is very difficult to improve when your constantly being paired with fucktards. I certainly
    will struggle every single season after 5 or 6 all because of the bullshit this system does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    I see a lot of people complaining about Overwatch matchmaking and it has become clear to me that you all think you are the center of the universe.
    Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, there's something valid that they're all complaining about?

    I don't know, maybe you need to pay better attention and stop being blind.

    I am a Grandmaster player, when I started I was bronze equivalent[I](rating system functioned differently at the beginning of Overwatch.)
    From here on, the rest of what you say is irrelevant.

    If you cannot climb it is because you belong in the rank you are in.
    This is already false. Next.

    Stop whining, learn to be positive
    The complaints are valid, and it is impossible to be positive when the game consistently shits on you every single time you play,
    and regardless of how little, or how much you play, nothing changes and it continues to do so.

    learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    I do this to the best of my ability every game. When the teammates I have do the same, we can win, or draw.

    Unfortunately, the system fucking sucks, and purposely fucks you left and right. No matter how well I play, I can't
    climb, and the fuckwits who have no business playing competitive are to blame. Every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    That's not so much disagreement as denial. If you can't rise in rating then you are not better than the rating you are at. If you are dropping in rating then you are not good enough for the rating you are at.
    I'm not in denial, but you are flat out ignorant, and absolutely in the wrong. So since we both think the other is wrong,
    its not worth beating ourselves over this point.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2019-01-12 at 10:16 PM.

  19. #9719
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    snip
    I literally have nothing to say to this except that SR is reflective of your ability to play the game well. If your SR is low, play more, or get better.

  20. #9720
    It took me 6.5 seasons to go from Bronze to Grandmaster. If I can do it, why are there people acting like it is impossible to get better and climb?

    I guess denial and toxicity is easier than introspection.

    Katie, I'm sorry that people mistreat you because of your race, instead of muting comms you could try finding about 10 people to play with and stay in group comms, 10 is usually enough to have 1-2 always on in my experience.
    ---
    Tell you guys what, post an average match playing your main and I will tell you what you can work on to climb some SR. No charge. Include what SR you think you should be.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-12 at 10:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •