Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    10 games of mystery heroes...all losses. Quite upsetting.
    Have you played much hero gauntlet? I only did it at first for the loot boxes but I found it was quite entertaining, good practice on the dps heroes I rarely play, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenzha View Post
    Playing for the first time since around Brigitte launch and i still cant play anything other than mystery heroes in arcade without hating the game.
    I want a couple skins from the event tho, incase i get back into the game again at a later date.

I shall endure.
    I'm about 40 boxes into the event now and i have only received 1 spray and 6 voice lines from this years additions.
    Does the system prioritize older items before newer ones or something?

Also 2 of my 4 legendaries have been currency... because 500 coins is really making a dent into the 3k cost when i'm not getting dupes

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Have you played much hero gauntlet? I only did it at first for the loot boxes but I found it was quite entertaining, good practice on the dps heroes I rarely play, too.
    I’ll try it. I usually stick to Mystery heroes since I never really got upset by losing a few games here and there from a luck of the draw mentality. I mainly brought up the 10 losses in a row because until this event it’s been pretty unheard of and did actually cause some anger from having that big of a bad luck streak.

Mid diamond alt games are basically just a duel between two smurfs and everyone else is along for the ride.
    Ah fair enough.
    I decided to edit my post to be useful to another human being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb13RiMvZvc

Learn to recognize situations where you can stop healing on ana (1-3s windows imo from when i play ana) and get an elimination or deny space by say putting an enemy DPS or Healer at low hp and forcing them to hide.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-06-04 at 04:41 AM.

Why are people just casually fine with reaper and pharah being pitifully underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    Why are people just casually fine with reaper and pharah being pitifully underpowered.
    Reaper just got a few buffs and Pharah is heavily punishing to players/teams that can't really hit her in the air (aka newer and low skilled players).

Double XP!!! Boxes every 4 or so games feels so good right now. Chance i might actually get the skins i want.

I consider Reaper to be rather strong atm. Just my opinion tho.

Yep, always knew the system was a load of horse shit, above video only further cements it.

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    It's interesting how these videos never come with evidence or stats lol.

"evidence" is more or less people with two (or more accounts) when the first acc is rated (much) lower than the newer accounts and the newer accounts dont fall much in sr

"evidence" is more or less people with two (or more accounts) when the first acc is rated (much) lower than the newer accounts and the newer accounts dont fall much in sr
    I have come to be vividly irritated by this self serving, toxic, "victim" propaganda.

I have never heard of "anchor" stats before, and as I've posted in this thread before: I have accounts in multiple ranks and have played them to my correct rank.

RIGHT NOW I have an account in gold, an account in diamond an account in masters and an account in gm.

I can only play a couple of heroes where my high rated acc is and it takes considerable effort to keep my masters one where it is on a hero I'm worse with.

I have done the Xrank to Xrank challenge several times just to see and frankly there is no such thing as elo hell, the matchmaking system is not perfect but it is good enough.

The real "elo hell" is any game where some hardstuck asshole is tilting everyone on his/her team every game with just enough gamesense to see their team's mistakes, but not their own and without the talent to climb, whether this asshole is in bronze, silver, gold, plat, diamond, m or gm.

Yes, so show me the evidence.

For sure I will concede that you can have instances wherein you buy a second account and place higher, one of my alt accounts placed pretty much the same as my main despite swapping over to DPS roles (so we can argue here that is in essence placing higher, since I had 0 experience playing DPS and nonetheless played in the same SR bracket). But statistically, that's absolutely fine. Low games played, high variance in SR. Accuracy is unknown, probably low. Can't tell what that really means 'til you've played a bunch more games and see how your SR fluctuates, and compare that with your main.

Also they provide 0 evidence for anchor stats, but imply somehow that these cause you to remain at lower SR. How? Does it limit the pool of people you can play against, somehow making your games harder? That's the only way that makes sense. Unless it's taken into account by the performance-based SR, and causing you to earn less SR per win, in which case all that does it make it slightly harder to climb.

Maybe one day we'll have someone assert that matchmaking is broken who also understands basic statistics, and evidence-based arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

snip
    I know right, he mentions there exist these anchor stats but gives 0 evidence and doesn't even tell us what they are. Like, what? Am I supposed to just take your word on it, even though you've only made this video in a self-serving hope to get views from people who scream "MY SR SHOULD BE HIGHER MY TEAM IS TRASH REEEE, NOW SOMEONE ON YOUTUBE AGREES WITH ME."

I partly disagree with your assertion that there does not exist elo hell though, I am 100% convinced 2750-3000 is fucking trash. There's a fairly steep skill difference (Relative to platchat ofc) and you also get such a wide variety of players, some have great mech skills and 0 gamesense, then vice versa and anything in between. You also have a quite a peak in toxicity from my experience, and also some people who think they know the perfect comp and strat and tilt off the edge of the world if you don't listen to them or disagree with a thing they've said.

I also think this particular bracket contributes to everyone's entitled to SR attitude and issues with the matchmaking, getting through this bracket without investing loads of time into becoming both better, and able to play consistently well is a fucking ballache.

But yeah, for sure OW MMR ladder is not perfect but I have yet to see any evidence suggesting your ability is not approximately related to your SR, you don't see trash players in GM and you don't see GMs/Masters players hardstuck plat. It just doesn't happen.

Pharah does okay at OWL level, while Reaper has basically no complexity to his kit to offer any real skill curve; so buffs tend to break him at low levels while never offering anything at higher brackets.

I also think this particular bracket contributes to everyone's entitled to SR attitude and issues with the matchmaking, getting through this bracket without investing loads of time into becoming both better, and able to play consistently well is a fucking ballache.
    Get good at shotcalling in a cheerful bubbly manner, cruise right out of plat imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Pharah does okay at OWL level while Reaper has basically no complexity to his kit to offer any real skill curve; so buffs tend to break him at low levels while never offering anything at higher brackets.
    Any hero that needs to be hard pocketed and res'd constantly is underpowered/broken.

If anything OWL confirms my assertions, as for reaper, it wouldn't take much effort to make him not useless, just make him require more aim but have a higher payoff, make the head and side to side hitboxes less ridiculous, and make the footsteps silent. You have to start a fight point blank to win against a decent player, having such loud clompers is just a no go.

Get good at shotcalling in a cheerful bubbly manner, cruise right out of plat imo.
    Funnily enough I have been trying that out with a friend of mine the last few days, and we've been on a 12-game win streak so far. I just can't quite manage it when I am solo.

Funnily enough I have been trying that out with a friend of mine the last few days, and we've been on a 12-game win streak so far. I just can't quite manage it when I am solo.
    That is what it takes unless you have the talent to carry(non stop getting eliminations by yourself with 0 aid.)

Yes, so show me the evidence.

For sure I will concede that you can have instances wherein you buy a second account and place higher, one of my alt accounts placed pretty much the same as my main despite swapping over to DPS roles (so we can argue here that is in essence placing higher, since I had 0 experience playing DPS and nonetheless played in the same SR bracket). But statistically, that's absolutely fine. Low games played, high variance in SR. Accuracy is unknown, probably low. Can't tell what that really means 'til you've played a bunch more games and see how your SR fluctuates, and compare that with your main.

Also they provide 0 evidence for anchor stats, but imply somehow that these cause you to remain at lower SR. How? Does it limit the pool of people you can play against, somehow making your games harder? That's the only way that makes sense. Unless it's taken into account by the performance-based SR, and causing you to earn less SR per win, in which case all that does it make it slightly harder to climb.

Maybe one day we'll have someone assert that matchmaking is broken who also understands basic statistics, and evidence-based arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right, he mentions there exist these anchor stats but gives 0 evidence and doesn't even tell us what they are. Like, what? Am I supposed to just take your word on it, even though you've only made this video in a self-serving hope to get views from people who scream "MY SR SHOULD BE HIGHER MY TEAM IS TRASH REEEE, NOW SOMEONE ON YOUTUBE AGREES WITH ME."

I partly disagree with your assertion that there does not exist elo hell though, I am 100% convinced 2750-3000 is fucking trash. There's a fairly steep skill difference (Relative to platchat ofc) and you also get such a wide variety of players, some have great mech skills and 0 gamesense, then vice versa and anything in between. You also have a quite a peak in toxicity from my experience, and also some people who think they know the perfect comp and strat and tilt off the edge of the world if you don't listen to them or disagree with a thing they've said.

But yeah, for sure OW MMR ladder is not perfect but I have yet to see any evidence suggesting your ability is not approximately related to your SR, you don't see trash players in GM and you don't see GMs/Masters players hardstuck plat. It just doesn't happen.
    Except your arguement against their zero evidence also consists of zero evidence. You, as well as the video maker, aren’t showing hard proof one way or the other.
    As far as the video goes, I can only guess they are basing this on previous things that Blizzard has stated with placement matches combined with how it keeps track of your games vs if you quit playing for a while it becomes less certain of where you belong. That last part hints that it keeps track over a certain amount of time instead of just basing a game to game basis based on an unknown algorithm of how you played with X character vs how others play with X character in the same rank. That last point also had flaws brought up by Ragtagg when he showed a good example of him playing Orissa and someone else playing Bastion and that Bastion takes damage away from Orissa which makes his Orissa playtime less than another Orissa player’s that doesn’t have a Bastion (or someone that can do major damage over a fight).
    I’m not saying the video maker is correct because I, like you and Thirza, don’t really know as Blizzard has only given us pieces of information here and there, with some people saying it works fine and others saying it doesn’t.
    I don’t complain about my rank, I figure I’m an average player and I am sitting around 2500-2700, but I will state that I don’t like Blizzard’s way of handling the ranking system as it’s (a) hidden from people how it really works, and (b) prefer ladder systems as that in turn makes people more focused on what would win a match vs what makes them rank up better on a personal level vs team play.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Except your arguement against their zero evidence also consists of zero evidence. You, as well as the video maker, aren’t showing hard proof one way or the other.
    As far as the video goes, I can only guess they are basing this on previous things that Blizzard has stated with placement matches combined with how it keeps track of your games vs if you quit playing for a while it becomes less certain of where you belong. That last part hints that it keeps track over a certain amount of time instead of just basing a game to game basis based on an unknown algorithm of how you played with X character vs how others play with X character in the same rank. That last point also had flaws brought up by Ragtagg when he showed a good example of him playing Orissa and someone else playing Bastion and that Bastion takes damage away from Orissa which makes his Orissa playtime less than another Orissa player’s that doesn’t have a Bastion (or someone that can do major damage over a fight).
    I’m not saying the video maker is correct because I, like you and Thirza, don’t really know as Blizzard has only given us pieces of information here and there, with some people saying it works fine and others saying it doesn’t.
    I don’t complain about my rank, I figure I’m an average player and I am sitting around 2500-2700, but I will state that I don’t like Blizzard’s way of handling the ranking system as it’s (a) hidden from people how it really works, and (b) prefer ladder systems as that in turn makes people more focused on what would win a match vs what makes them rank up better on a personal level vs team play.
    Except my argument is backed up by all bad players having a low SR, average players being average and good players having a high SR. Sure, you can argue we don't know the ins and outs of the system and how that's not good, mostly because it gives birth to crazy theories like the video above, but it all boils down to if you win your SR goes up, if you lose it goes down, and otherwise you are matched to people approximately at your SR. I really don't understand the issue with this.