10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    might wait a little. there are changes on the ptr for lucio
    So I have seen, I think you're right and I better wait :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I wasn't commenting on the content of the posts themselves though. Do try to keep up
    Meh, changes are so minor that you won't notice such a big change in playstyle that you can't play him now.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Blizzard really need to do something about people throwing and leaving. I have reported over 30 people in the last week and no notification that action has been taken.

Finishing the season @3.2k, which is about the same as the previous one. Not motivated enough to push that.

Does anyone know how fast are Hanzo arrows in the PTR ? Patch notes mentioned it was increased to 100 (up from 85). Is this speed similar to another hero (such as Ana unscoped, genji shurikens or Mei right click) ? Also, how fast can his volley ability be fired (i.e, is there a cooldown between each arrow) ?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

go deathmatch and pick one of: junkrat, moira, roadhog, phara, brig.
    pretty easy with those heroes to land in best 4 places. ofc I dont say you cant lose with them but easier to get 9 wins in arcrade with them
    or wait till total mayhem is and pick: mei, lucio, brig, zarya, junkrat, ana or moira (you wont die so much if played right)
    That is pretty well much what I do. It is just getting really old.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Blizzard really need to do something about people throwing and leaving. I have reported over 30 people in the last week and no notification that action has been taken.
    It is an automated system. Once they get enough reports they get auto banned and if you feel the banning is unjustified then you can talk to Blizzard directly and they can review your case.

I would have to guess that the people you have been reporting have thrown or left games so rarely that they don't get punished. When you are talking about 10's if not 100's of millions of players it is possible that the 30 you reported are not repeat offenders.

I get notifications about once every 2-3 weeks, and sometimes when I log in I get notified up to 4 times in a row of people I have reported being punished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    Finishing the season @3.2k, which is about the same as the previous one. Not motivated enough to push that.

Does anyone know how fast are Hanzo arrows in the PTR ? Patch notes mentioned it was increased to 100 (up from 85). Is this speed similar to another hero (such as Ana unscoped, genji shurikens or Mei right click) ? Also, how fast can his volley ability be fired (i.e, is there a cooldown between each arrow) ?
    You basically get 6 rapid fire shots which do less damage than a regular arrow. Once you use the ability you can quickly spit out all 6 or you can fire a few and wait a few seconds to fire the rest. If you don't use them all in 3 or 4 seconds you lose them and the ability goes on an 8 second cooldown. If you fire none off before the rapid fire times out you lose them all. You can rapid fire up to 6 times during that window.

And Hanzo's have to aim to use them properly which ends the scatter arrow no skill aim problem.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

You basically get 6 rapid fire shots which do less damage than a regular arrow. Once you use the ability you can quickly spit out all 6 or you can fire a few and wait a few seconds to fire the rest. If you don't use them all in 3 or 4 seconds you lose them and the ability goes on an 8 second cooldown. If you fire none off before the rapid fire times out you lose them all. You can rapid fire up to 6 times during that window.

And Hanzo's have to aim to use them properly which ends the scatter arrow no skill aim problem.
    I see...Alright, thank you for those details. ^^
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Quote Originally Posted by majesta View Post
    That is pretty well much what I do. It is just getting really old.
    well, then it's just luck to win in arcade

I also like 4vs4 deathmatch but very often when I join my team is already 10 kills behind...
    some games are nice when it's a close win or lose

Put your money where your mouth is and post videos of your game play, lets see if you are as good as you think you are. Otherwise no one here is going to believe you because -you- always ALWAYS come here to complain about how you lose because of everyone else. Its ALWAYS someone elses fault because you are apparently amazeballs.

That goes for every single one of you guys who think everyone else is holding you down. Put up a video showing your amazing skills for several games or shut up and drink your pumpkin spice latte.
    Honestly, I don't think me or anyone that consider the system lacking in accuracy is actual top 500 material. More so that I know my issues without even providing a video (communication, positioning, ult usage/economy, knowledge of heroes that do or don't do well for certain maps, when to switch). The issue is lower ranks aren't ideal grounds to really improve your game that much (maybe as a DPS main, but good luck as a healer/tank main) and the system feels like it keeps a lot of people down there in a harsh manner. Even if I was to study up on my issues more and improve on that, it's not going to stop sub-optimal hero picks and teammates that make very questionable decisions. Yes, it's still there even when you hit higher ranks, but they have more game sense to know what they're doing and you can follow up on that. Eventually, you'll mold yourself to be a better player and climb a bit easier. That's barely the case in lower ranks since it's hard to focus on improving one's performance when said teammate(s) is performing poorly or outright worse than what you'll ever do or build upon.

Yes, other ranks deals with this as well and even your opponents may have a similar mindset. However, that's were the "system is flawed" argument keeps hymning in since it's at it's worse between high Silver to mid Plat. Probably the biggest reason is that most of the playerbase is around that area, so the skill variance is very wide and random. So you could be playing with/against poorly-skilled players or people that feel like they're a pro on their smurf account. In that regard, I don't think I can justify to keep playing with RNG such as that. Maybe I don't have the patience for it but I can't continuously beat my head on the wall and think I'll climb upon a system that's going to keep me down regardless of my improvements. So I might as well stick to placements, a few games and call it a season.

Have played about 25 games in a few days, and lost perhaps 20 of them, whatever role I've played. I've peaked 2700ish plat in earlier seasons, and now I'm 1800'ish silver. Dont know what has happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Renwin View Post
    Honestly, I don't think me or anyone that consider the system lacking in accuracy is actual top 500 material. More so that I know my issues without even providing a video (communication, positioning, ult usage/economy, knowledge of heroes that do or don't do well for certain maps, when to switch). The issue is lower ranks aren't ideal grounds to really improve your game that much (maybe as a DPS main, but good luck as a healer/tank main) and the system feels like it keeps a lot of people down there in a harsh manner. Even if I was to study up on my issues more and improve on that, it's not going to stop sub-optimal hero picks and teammates that make very questionable decisions. Yes, it's still there even when you hit higher ranks, but they have more game sense to know what they're doing and you can follow up on that. Eventually, you'll mold yourself to be a better player and climb a bit easier. That's barely the case in lower ranks since it's hard to focus on improving one's performance when said teammate(s) is performing poorly or outright worse than what you'll ever do or build upon.

Yes, other ranks deals with this as well and even your opponents may have a similar mindset. However, that's were the "system is flawed" argument keeps hymning in since it's at it's worse between high Silver to mid Plat. Probably the biggest reason is that most of the playerbase is around that area, so the skill variance is very wide and random. So you could be playing with/against poorly-skilled players or people that feel like they're a pro on their smurf account. In that regard, I don't think I can justify to keep playing with RNG such as that. Maybe I don't have the patience for it but I can't continuously beat my head on the wall and think I'll climb upon a system that's going to keep me down regardless of my improvements. So I might as well stick to placements, a few games and call it a season.
    My 12 year old never played a FPS before, she placed in plat and dumped into bronze lifting herself back to diamond in solo queue and then she made friends to play with. I refused to carry her out of bronze as she had to learn how to play by her own. Now she has school kids offering to pay her to get them out of bronze because she is the highest ranked in her school. I made sure she didn’t do this.

People can make all the excuses they want but I can guarantee you that “you” are more likely the cause of your rank than anyone else because you make mistakes on the regular that bronzers make. People like to blame everyone else because humans rarely admit they cause their own problems and are far less likely to admit they make mistakes. Watch any Overwatch cosching video and you will see people screwing up all by themselves.

Fix yourself first.

The common argument used is that “my team was bad so I keep losing.” Thing is the opposing team is bronze too and everyone sucks with the exception of a smurf account. You are just as likely to pull the bad team as anyone else in the game. You can’t blame the bronzers for being in bronze. You put yourself there.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2018-04-23 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi Horu View Post
    Have played about 25 games in a few days, and lost perhaps 20 of them, whatever role I've played. I've peaked 2700ish plat in earlier seasons, and now I'm 1800'ish silver. Dont know what has happened...
    one half of the poster here will say: "your own fault. you suck. git gud."
    other half will understand you that it's not alone your own fault but bad teammates/leaver/griefer because this is a game about teamwork

enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by rarhyx; 2018-04-23 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My 12 year old never played a FPS before, she placed in plat and dumped into bronze lifting herself back to diamond in solo queue and then she made friends to play with. I refused to carry her out of bronze as she had to learn how to play by her own. Now she has school kids offering to pay her to get them out of bronze because she is the highest ranked in her school. I made sure she didn’t do this.

People can make all the excuses they want but I can guarantee you that “you” are more likely the cause of your rank than anyone else because you make mistakes on the regular that bronzers make. People like to blame everyone else because humans rarely admit they cause their own problems and are far less likely to admit they make mistakes. Watch any Overwatch cosching video and you will see people screwing up all by themselves.

Fix yourself first.

The common argument used is that “my team was bad so I keep losing.” Thing is the opposing team is bronze too and everyone sucks with the exception of a smurf account. You are just as likely to pull the bad team as anyone else in the game. You can’t blame the bronzers for being in bronze. You put yourself there.
    Every time I see those arguments, I think of Ragtagg's Toxic Coaching series. People send him videos (so no complaining that he's picking on people unfairly), and they often claim exactly this; "I'm bronze but should be diamond, tell me why I'm not". And Ragtagg will, well, tell them in detail and in realtime exactly where and when they fuck up and what they missed, and given that Ragtagg just has the player's video, he's not pulling anything in that they couldn't see or predict. He has exactly all the info the player had.

Link to one video, you can get the rest from there (not embedding because it's not hugely relevant, just an example); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7pJAy-8CfU

- - - Updated - - -

one half of the poster here will say: "your own fault. you suck. git gud."
    other half will understand you that it's not alone your own fault but bad teammates/leaver/griefer because this is a game about teamwork

enjoy your stay!
    The second half don't really get statistics.

Statistically, the chance for any given player to be a leaver/thrower/griefer is going to be roughly the same. Since we usually don't see more than one per match, let's set that at 5%, just to make up numbers.

Now, we're concerned with when there's AT LEAST one of these, not ONLY one. So rolling that chance and getting a bad player on the first slot doesn't end the rolling; we're not concerned with duplications. So there's the "chance per slot", but also "chance overall"; this lowers slightly with each slot since it basically accounts for when you get duplicates.

So, for the first slot on your team, there's a 5% chance your game's ruined.
    For the second, we're dealing with the 95% chance your game's still fine; 5% chance of ruin on this slot is a 4.75% additional chance overall
    The third, 90.25% chance your game is still fine, 4.51% chance (only bothering with 2 decimal places) overall added.
    Fourth slot, 85.74% chance the game is still fine, 4.29% overall crap chance added.
    Fifth slot, 81.45% chance it's still fine, 4.07% overall crap added.
    Sixth slot, 77.38% chance, adding another 3.87% crap.

That means the enemy team has a roughly 73.51% chance of a good match, but your team (assuming you're not a leaver/griefer/etc) has an 81.45% chance of a good match.

If you change the base rate of bad players, it doesn't change this fundamental mathematical pattern, so it doesn't matter if that chance is 1% or 30%. Your team still has a lower chance of getting a bad player than the enemy, if you're not a bad player yourself, from your perspective.

Now, that's the average differences, so you can absolutely hit a streak where things go badly for you, but if you're telling me that you consistently lose way more than 50% of your matches because of leavers and griefers and the like, and you've got hundreds of matches played, I'm going to doubt that you're actually experiencing that, or note that if you are, you should buy a lottery ticket, because those are the long odds you're seeing. It's no different than a gambler playing blackjack and claiming the deck is stacked against him and he only wins 20% of his hands. That's not how the odds work, so either he's playing badly and making bad choices, or he's in a massive bad streak that doesn't reflect the actual odds at the table.

Particularly since, in Overwatch, there is no "house" to cheat you. Just other players. In every match you lost because of a leaver, 6 people won because of a leaver. The whole thing is, game population wise, zero-sum. Every 6 players that win, 6 players lose.

I'm not saying this stuff doesn't happen, or that bad streaks don't occur, but if you're seeing this as a consistent pattern across hundreds of games played, I'm gonna suggest the common denominator is more likely the problem, because the odds are against it being leavers and throwers ruining that many games, by a large margin.

Fix yourself first.

But that’s the thing. Some of us are fixing ourselves for a long while now and been the same rank for several seasons. This isn’t a simple fix that anyone can magically do over a few seasons. Also, your 12 year old has a better commitment to the game due to age and interest. An adult with a full-time job and interest in other games (who at best can read guides and videos) isn’t going to have it easier. Even with a few FPS under my belt, it’s mostly from controllers and not mouse/keyboard. I’m not expecting to climb into Masters in a single sitting, week or even a few seasons. However, with things as it is, you can’t just mindlessly call it an excuse at this rate. Even more so when people can just buy a new account and stay steady after their placements.
    Last edited by Renwin; 2018-04-23 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renwin View Post
    But that’s the thing. Some of us are fixing ourselves for a long while now and been the same rank for several seasons. This isn’t a simple fix that anyone can magically do over a few seasons. Also, your 12 year old has a better commitment to the game due to age and interest. An adult with a full-time job and interest in other games (who at best can read guides and videos) isn’t going to have it easier. Even with a few FPS under my belt, it’s mostly from controllers and not mouse/keyboard. I’m not expecting to climb into Masters in a single sitting, week or even a few seasons. However, with things as it is, you can’t just mindlessly call it an excuse at this rate. Even more so when people can just buy a new account and stay steady after their placements.
    My daughter gets to play 3 hours on sat and sunday. She can't play on weekdays because she has school and lessons for three instruments. Where you choose to invest your time is your issue, you want to get out of your rank then guess what? You're going to have to invest some time. If you can't then you have more important things to worry about than your rank and if you don't want to then you obviously don't really care as much about your rank and it's a non-issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Every time I see those arguments, I think of Ragtagg's Toxic Coaching series. People send him videos (so no complaining that he's picking on people unfairly), and they often claim exactly this; "I'm bronze but should be diamond, tell me why I'm not". And Ragtagg will, well, tell them in detail and in realtime exactly where and when they fuck up and what they missed, and given that Ragtagg just has the player's video, he's not pulling anything in that they couldn't see or predict. He has exactly all the info the player had.

Link to one video, you can get the rest from there (not embedding because it's not hugely relevant, just an example); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7pJAy-8CfU

- - - Updated - - -

The second half don't really get statistics.

Statistically, the chance for any given player to be a leaver/thrower/griefer is going to be roughly the same. Since we usually don't see more than one per match, let's set that at 5%, just to make up numbers.

Now, we're concerned with when there's AT LEAST one of these, not ONLY one. So rolling that chance and getting a bad player on the first slot doesn't end the rolling; we're not concerned with duplications. So there's the "chance per slot", but also "chance overall"; this lowers slightly with each slot since it basically accounts for when you get duplicates.

So, for the first slot on your team, there's a 5% chance your game's ruined.
    For the second, we're dealing with the 95% chance your game's still fine; 5% chance of ruin on this slot is a 4.75% additional chance overall
    The third, 90.25% chance your game is still fine, 4.51% chance (only bothering with 2 decimal places) overall added.
    Fourth slot, 85.74% chance the game is still fine, 4.29% overall crap chance added.
    Fifth slot, 81.45% chance it's still fine, 4.07% overall crap added.
    Sixth slot, 77.38% chance, adding another 3.87% crap.

That means the enemy team has a roughly 73.51% chance of a good match, but your team (assuming you're not a leaver/griefer/etc) has an 81.45% chance of a good match.

If you change the base rate of bad players, it doesn't change this fundamental mathematical pattern, so it doesn't matter if that chance is 1% or 30%. Your team still has a lower chance of getting a bad player than the enemy, if you're not a bad player yourself, from your perspective.

Now, that's the average differences, so you can absolutely hit a streak where things go badly for you, but if you're telling me that you consistently lose way more than 50% of your matches because of leavers and griefers and the like, and you've got hundreds of matches played, I'm going to doubt that you're actually experiencing that, or note that if you are, you should buy a lottery ticket, because those are the long odds you're seeing. It's no different than a gambler playing blackjack and claiming the deck is stacked against him and he only wins 20% of his hands. That's not how the odds work, so either he's playing badly and making bad choices, or he's in a massive bad streak that doesn't reflect the actual odds at the table.

Particularly since, in Overwatch, there is no "house" to cheat you. Just other players. In every match you lost because of a leaver, 6 people won because of a leaver. The whole thing is, game population wise, zero-sum. Every 6 players that win, 6 players lose.

I'm not saying this stuff doesn't happen, or that bad streaks don't occur, but if you're seeing this as a consistent pattern across hundreds of games played, I'm gonna suggest the common denominator is more likely the problem, because the odds are against it being leavers and throwers ruining that many games, by a large margin.
    Yeah I know of Ragg Tagg, his videos are great. I want to tell a lot of these whiners, "No! Your a fuckin Bronze! Your not a fucking Gold your a fucking Bronze! You're Shite! So shut the fuck up yah C*nt!" but the same people who complain about snowflakes who can't handle harsh truths are in fact snowflakes who can't handle harsh truths, They are the same damn people but these ones like to pretend they wear big boy pants. They are the basic bitch of gamerbois.

Me? I can't get out of my own rank and the reason is me! I make bad choices from time to time in game but at least I am self-aware enough to understand that sometimes I am the reason why I lose. I even know why I lose, "Well I didn't realize my whole team backed up while I surged forward thinking we were lock step and barrel." WHy is that my fault? Because 5 other fuckers on my team figured out that stepping back would be the better play and I'm the one fucker who didn't figure that out fast enough. That's on me, not my team. But these basic bitches will always claim it was the other 5's fault they died, they NEVER accept that they were the one who fucked up. Reality bends around their personal perception.

I mean one of those videos was a reaper who felt they were a gold player at worst but in bronze 'because everyone on my team sucks', meanwhile they spend the whole game in the building with the big healthpack 'protecting the flank' instead of actualling killing people on the point. Ragg rightfully calls them out on it and that this is exactly why they are a bronze player.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2018-04-24 at 04:02 AM.

Deleted
    Something something statistics, something something mathematical proof that people complain for nothing.
    Just an fyi, I appreciate you Endus.

p.s. you're absolutely correct in principle but your maths needs work.

Deleted

Fix yourself first.

If you get normal Games where everyone tries their best you might rank up after some time but... anything else is PURE RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    If you get normal Games where everyone tries their best you might rank up after some time but... anything else is PURE RNG.
    Doesn’t have to be pure RNG. You can stack the deck. You just chose not to. Do I play with a full 6 man? When I can sure. Usually it is just one or two friends but for every person I play with that I know can carry their weight I reduce the chance of getting a loser by 20%. Those are better odds than rolling the dice every time I smack the random group button.

Just from the start of this clip, why did they teleport instead of just running to the stairs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Just from the start of this clip, why did they teleport instead of just running to the stairs?
    The only thing I can think is that teleporting means the enemy team didn't see him head that way. Which isn't a great reason, he hesitated way too much, and if he was planning to flank that way (I don't play Reaper much) I'm PRETTY sure you can start from the top window and teleport right to the near end of the balcony, or just inside the door to it, which is A> way faster and B> gets you to the second floor directly.

And this is as someone who generally plays Reaper only in Mystery Heroes.

The point wasn't so much to nitpick that one player, but just to demonstrate that there's a fair number of players who think they're way better than they actually are, and it's that lack of self-reflection that leads to their dissatisfaction with the ranking system.

Edit: yep, just loaded a test match and checked, you can Teleport from the tower window right to the 2nd floor balcony door, which is somewhat protected in terms of sightlines by the balcony architecture. If an enemy Widow is straight forward on the elevated platform, you're boned, but you could've spotted her before teleporting if that were the case.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-04-24 at 04:27 PM.