[Movies} Dawn of the Anime to Live Action (FMA live action movie annouced)

http://kotaku.com/the-fullmetal-alch...ium=Socialflow

[quote]In Japan, popular manga and anime series Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a feature film. It’s slated for a winter 2017 release. The fictional setting was inspired by Europe, but the movie’s cast will be Japanese.

According to Natalie, the movie will be directed by Fumihiko Sori, who is best known for the 2002 film Ping Pong.

Boy band member Ryosuke Yamada stars as Edward Elric, while actress Tsubasa Honda is Winry Rockbell and actor Dean Fujioka is Roy Mustang. Here’s how the cast compares to the original characters:

Some of the actors resemble the characters better than others.

“I want to depict something that follows the original work as much as possible,” Sori said. “The cast is entirely Japanese, but the setting is Europe. However, their race and nationality isn’t expressed in a specific form.”

Well, other than them being entirely Japanese and speaking in Japanese, but there you go.

Considering how the country has seen a string of bad anime and manga live-action movie versions, the reaction online so far in Japan hasn’t been hopeful for this latest effort.
    As long as the movies are good I don't care and if they are bad I still won't care because it doesn't ruin the original for me.

/My2cents.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

CGI Alphonse standing right next to live action edward won't look good... neither will the alchemic transformation sequences. If only they have the budget to use a real flamethrower for Mustang's ignition glove, or get the guys from the old Jurassic Park film to do Envy (true form). Alas...

From the little of what I've seen anime transfers very poorly to live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://kotaku.com/the-fullmetal-alch...ium=Socialflow

In Japan, popular manga and anime series Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a feature film. It’s slated for a winter 2017 release. The fictional setting was inspired by Europe, but the movie’s cast will be Japanese.
    And thus the Japanwashing of Europe characters has begun! I am totally (not) serious here!

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    And thus the Japanwashing of Europe characters has begun! I am totally (not) serious here!
    Oh, I am serious, the whole point is the area they are from is way different than Shin, and Ishval etc. The Racial divides in the original medium were there for a reason and part of the story.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    In general, Japanese live action films are pretty poor, so I wouldn't expect any live action anime adaptation produced in Japan to be very good. Especially onces based on series that are more complex and require a lot of FX.

About the only decent live action anime adaptations produced in Japan are the recent Rurouni Kenshin ones.

Have any anime-to-live action adaptations been good?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Have any anime-to-live action adaptations been good?
    Uh, the first Death Note if I remember right. The second one was terrible, though.
    The old Fist of the Northstar was campy "so-bad-it's-good."