Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lack of average male representation

It seems like Blizzard has chosen to go down the extremely stereotypical male road for their Overwatch heroes. The male heroes seem to fall into 2 categories:

1. Excessive and almost unrealistic male aesthetics (e.g. Genji, Hanzo, Mcree, Lucio)

2. Excessive 'macho' persona (e.g. Soldier 76, Reinhardt, Trobjorn, Reaper, Roadhog)

Where are the genetically average males without overly outspoken personalities? As an average male it is difficult to relate to these intimidating male heroes and thus difficult to enjoy the game. It seems like Blizzard has relegated these positions exclusively to the female heroes which I feel is very wrong.
    Last edited by styil; 2016-05-27 at 04:52 AM.

Deleted
    Are you purposely trying to use words that assert your male priviledge?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just blame the matriarchy

Deleted
    Stop the average male shaming !!

Deleted
    I look like Hanzo though

If they did the average male (Or Female for that matter) they would have nothing useful to do in the game.

None of the characters are average and this is a stupid thread.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Junkrat is pretty normal, not overly muscular, rather normal in physic. His skill comes from just being inventive and good with explosives. Personality isn't macho either, in fact he's a somewhat good natured guy. So there you go, fits both your personalities.

This may not be very constructive but......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who gives a shit! I mean c'mon they have such a wide color spectrum of characters (not race color mind you) and they tried so hard to please everyone while also trying to get characters people could connect with from all points of a cartoonish comic book feeling, and your upset that Joe Average White Male 185lbs 6'0 who likes friends/movies isn't in the game....? Is Junk Rat average...I don't even know what your looking for....End of Speech(Ron Swanson Style)

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If they did the average male (Or Female for that matter) they would have nothing useful to do in the game.

None of the characters are average and this is a stupid thread.
    You can have a "useful" male without resorting to perfectly sculpted aesthetics and/or macho persona. I mean look at Mei on the female side for example.

Lucio and Junkrat are both pretty normal dudes.
    I mean, Lucio has robot legs, but you can easily look exactly like Lucio would have done before he got machine legs.

Only "overemphasised" thing about McCree is his clothes too. Anyone can buy that outfit.

As for "overly outspoken personalities"... everyone in Overwatch has an exagerrated personality. That's kind of the point, there's not meant to be anyone who is just "normal" in every way. They're all essentially cartoon characters.

i think this is more a troll thread than a real one all it is doing is flipping the coin on the "these women have unrealistic body types" which they never did just fit and large breasted, whilst not common also not unseen

Quote Originally Posted by Phikita View Post
    Ron Swanson
    That would be perfect, actually.

Not sure if Overwatch is a thing for you if you are looking for "an average" character.
    There is this one thing though in which you can be "an average dude"...it is called LIFE?
    Why would anyone make a game that is not The Sims and put the same lame-ass, boring "average" characters in it?
    Overwatch is a "hero" game and heroes are, from definition, characters that normal people look up to and strive to become.
    If they would be average that would have 0 sense.

Deleted
    Just don't go out of your room, enjoy the gamer to the fullest, never look into a mirror, marry tracer and you will become one of the best overwatch player and also will never have a problem with things like this again. I can guarantee it works.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    You can have a "useful" male without resorting to perfectly sculpted aesthetics and/or macho persona. I mean look at Mei on the female side for example.
    Mei is hiding a delicious body under that coat.

You mean the same Mei that shoots a ice gun and has other abilitys....

Thats still well above average.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    they reside in Farahlon, which is where the average-looking women of the overwatch universe live.

Quote Originally Posted by banadona View Post
    Not sure if Overwatch is a thing for you if you are looking for "an average" character.
    There is this one thing though in which you can be "an average dude"...it is called LIFE?
    Why would anyone make a game that is not The Sims and put the same lame-ass, boring "average" characters in it?
    Overwatch is a "hero" game and heroes are, from definition, characters that normal people look up to and strive to become.
    If they would be average that would have 0 sense.
    But you don't need to be aesthetically flawless and/or have a macho personality to be "heroic". Look at Mei on the female side. We need a male equivalent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't an average man -- or woman for that matter -- be instantly smashed flat in a largely physical contest populated by giant apes and robots?

But you don't need to be aesthetically flawless and/or have a macho personality to be "heroic". Look at Mei on the female side. We need a male equivalent.
    Junkrat / Roadhog not good enough for you?