Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Widowmaker is she's such a nightmare to balance because she's probably the most heavily skill-based hero in the game. Snipers usually are.

I've seen Widowmakers carry entire teams, removing 3-4 people from every team fight with well placed headshots and just stomping all over anyone who tries to flank her.

I've also seen plenty of times some idiot insta-picking Widowmaker at the start of the game and spending the entire game away from the objective, standing around, not able to hit a damn thing and generally just being an utter waste of space. When we're on Attack and every fight is a 5v6 because our team has a useless WM standing off by herself in some god-forsaken corner of the map trying and failing to hit anyone I just want to strangle kittens. French ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    Point is she will hook away to another point where you will need to fly to reach her and you would have had used your matrix to approach her if it is a decent widow to not get shot while closing, at that point you have no flight and no matrix and no way to reach her for 6 seconds, she is just gonna turn around and headshot that huge head hitbox of dva twice and kill the mecha, i am not saying widow can solo dva at close range (though she will drop her down to 100 or so hp if she tries) she can just grapple away and kill her mecha really fast

Winston has better chance to be honest as his bubble has long duration and 600 hp so it takes 4 shots to break it,you can pop it at first jump, wait for jump cd after she grapples away and jump again to try and kill her, which is still not that easy, depending on if widow can get a good shot during his second jump
    Even if you don't manage to win the fight you have succeeded in disrupting her and forcing her out of her position, which is going to be a great help to your team. When I boost at Widow I try to push her into a corner or off her perch or even better, off of the map. If you think she has grappled away to a spot where she can headshot you because you have no boost then don't face her, just get out of her LoS and harass her again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Futa Widowmaker View Post
    Even if you don't manage to win the fight you have succeeded in disrupting her and forcing her out of her position, which is going to be a great help to your team. When I boost at Widow I try to push her into a corner or off her perch or even better, off of the map. If you think she has grappled away to a spot where she can headshot you because you have no boost then don't face her, just get out of her LoS and harass her again later.
    i am not saying dva or winston doesnt annoy widow, they are actually very annoying and cause you to miss out on alot of kills, but they do not kill her as reliably as a Genji can , what i am trying to say is we need another hero that shits on her as much as Genji does to balance her out a little more, like giving Tracer vertical movement would solve the issue but it would shit on many other heroes so it is not a decent solution :P

thinking about it, how disgusting tracer would be if she had vertical movement, it scares the crap out of me :P

IMO one of the biggest issues with WM is not only her kit and weapon balance but also map design. WM can get places that the majority of characters simply can't get to. And the game is really big on choke points. in most cases a wm perch only has 1 flank route to it. So if she is mindful of keeping an eye on that one route (and of course her ult allows her to see flankers coming a mile away) then there is no way to deal with a WM except to try to engage her head on from long range (usually doesn't end well).

You do know your own team can counter WM with, you guessed it, a WM.
    The difference being is a defending WM will be up on said perch without backup, whereas you can sit being a Reinhardt shield just waiting for her to pop out.

There's nothing more satisfying than dominating an enemy hero playing the same char, especially a pesky WM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
    IMO one of the biggest issues with WM is not only her kit and weapon balance but also map design. WM can get places that the majority of characters simply can't get to. And the game is really big on choke points. in most cases a wm perch only has 1 flank route to it. So if she is mindful of keeping an eye on that one route (and of course her ult allows her to see flankers coming a mile away) then there is no way to deal with a WM except to try to engage her head on from long range (usually doesn't end well).
    No. Just like anything else in the game you either counter or you bait and wait. Once her ult has been used you don't have to worry about that again for a while. Once her grapple hook has been used you don't have to worry about that for 12 seconds.
    Yes the majority of heroes can't reach her high perch. But a few can climb or fly or teleport or grapple hook their way to her. She isn't invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by Futa Widowmaker View Post
    No. Just like anything else in the game you either counter or you bait and wait. Once her ult has been used you don't have to worry about that again for a while. Once her grapple hook has been used you don't have to worry about that for 12 seconds.
    Yes the majority of heroes can't reach her high perch. But a few can climb or fly or teleport or grapple hook their way to her. She isn't invincible.
    Making the other team "wait" is precisely what effective defense is trying to do. So if that is really the only counter then you just proved that she is overpowered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making the other team "wait" is precisely what effective defense is trying to do. So if that is really the only counter then you just proved that she is overpowered.
    No, because the alternative of switching to one of the many counter-heroes is always available.

I don't get it. WM is annoying if you let her stand around without resistance, but even a few shots from pretty much any hero will displace her and disrupt her flow. I generally always play either Zen, Lucio or D.Va and anytime I see a WM(which is easy considering you can plainly see a big ass red line drawn through the sky) all it takes is a few shots from them to get her moving. With D.Va, I can pressure her enough to render her useless most of the time. I wish people would think more about how to counter certain heroes instead of running to forums when you get annoyed by a decent player or your own inability to deal with her. Unless you want homogenization and boring gameplay like WoW, just deal with the fact of annoying deaths and hard counters. It's way more fun and rewarding.

As a primary WM target, I don't think she is that bad. Most of the time, all you have to do is disrupt her by sending some shots her way, make her duck and move. Sure, she'll show up again but it's really not that bad. Get used to the maps, know the sight lines, know popular WM spots(hint: usually on a platform above you) Her bullets also leave those useful red streaks that point to where she is.

I do get that she can be frustrating when played well, but you have to learn to counter her. Ask your teammates for help, type it out if you have to.

Bahaha!

Yes clearly Mei is OP... so OP that she is THE LEAST REPRESENTED character in tournament play. Literally all 20 other champions get picked more than Mei.

Obviously your sense of balance is so far off that it is not worth listening to.

You know when Mei is good? When your team doesn't have a real tank or a real support and you are forced to be your own tank and support simultaneously. Mei could stand to get a buff or two tbh. An extra 50 hp and decreasing the time it takes to freeze someone to an interval where you can actually freeze a good Mercy player and maybe the pros would use her. As it stands she might as well not even have a primary fire... it doesn't work against Reaper, McCree, Mercy, Tracer, Winston, Phara, Junkrat or anyone else who has an escape or a better CC in their kit...

And sadly Mei's ult suffers in the same way. Half the characters in the game can just "nope" it even if you place it on them directly.
    I like how you use the phrase Tournament play... when there isnt even ranked yet.

Found that her charge shot is too OP, killing a lot of heroes in bodyshots alone and its nowhere near as hard to aim as hanzo who has to account for drop off and can't rapid fire his bow at unlimited range either. Don't forget her sniper transforms into an SMG. I would be okay with a bodyshot damage nerf but other than that most Widowmakers I go against aren't the best anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    I like how you use the phrase Tournament play... when there isnt even ranked yet.
    Have you not seen the tournaments? There has been a bunch already, I just watched it like two days ago.

Deleted
    An unattended Mercy is OP, please nerf Mercy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Lol no. Just no. Longer charge time, fine, but double? No. Cry more that you got sniped noob.
    Not crying, I've just played other games with sniping before and understand that her design is bad. If they added sway/flinching I'd be ok with a shorter charge time than double, but it's currently too much. I don't personally have a huge problem with widowmaker but she's easily the strongest character in the game alongside Mcree, including high level competitive games. She either needs to be made harder to hit with or not be able to rapid fire body shot people down so fast. Hanzo is fine because his arrows have travel time and drop. She's literally just a hitscan spamming sniper with no drawbacks and a better ult.

I love maps like Kings Row where I can use a McCree to sneak through all the side passages and destroy widowmakers, hanzo's, and junkrats who are perched in hallway windows or roofs.

Yea it puts me out of the fight for an extended period as I sneak the long way undetected, but that is sort of his entire point.

Also, sneaking behind an entire team and HIGH NOON'n is just the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    If your enemy has a decent player on a flanker hero your Widowmaker will be next to useless.
    So yes, if you leave her be she is a pretty strong pick on most maps but she has her counters.
    Also if you know the maps good enough it's not that hard to hide out of her LoS for long times.
    You can say this about all/most characters though. Everything has counters, but that doesn't mean anything in the context of relative power and usefulness of heroes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You can say this about all/most characters though. Everything has counters, but that doesn't mean anything in the context of relative power and usefulness of heroes.
    That's the point though, WM isn't as useful on closed maps like Kings Row or once you get inside Dorado, and certainly isn't useful for taking and holding objectives which put her in the open. The game is about much more than headshotting. On more than one occasion I've switched from stacking up kills on WM to literally just standing on the payload with Reinhardt in order to get the job done because that's what was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Mei on the other hand...

Mei is worse.

Mei has a silly amount of abilities and while not necessarily being OP in the sense that she is the hardest char to counter, a compitent Mei player can "Make" Mei OP by using her abilities at the right time.

She is probably "the" most broken char right now with the plethora of abiltiies she has and the fact she is the "only" champion that blizzard themselves activly stated "requires" more than one player to take down, which is broken.
    Mei shuts down my Reinhardt so hard it's not funny, and often swapping to someone else isn't an option because Reinhardt is so useful for your team in general on most maps. Players need to learn that Mei has to be killed immediately if they want their Reinhardt and other melee types to remain in play.