Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Snip.
    Off-topic, maybe time for an avatar update? :P
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

It's probably the most intrusive and annoying website i visit... seriously.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2016-05-31 at 10:13 PM.

i know that other major sites are trying different things like telling you to turn off blockers

the problem is that MMOC is using a service with feeds. they should drop it completely. it's a lost cause spiraling down a toilet.

i don't know who controls this for MMOC/curse network, but they should drop the services, feeds, scripts, etc... connect visitors directly with products and services. no blocker being used is going to mistake regular links and images as an ad service. plus it's a million times safer.

Their profit could be a lot higher than it currently is given the amount of traffic. Tons of people aren't even seeing the ads, much less bothering to click and buy/subscribe to anything. In the past when i've looked at MMOC without blocking ads, there was all kinds of stuff that's not relevant to MMOC visitors. It's like trying to use a sawed shotgun for a 100 yard precision shot. Right now i can see a WoW movie ad at the top, but in other spots i'm seeing stuff that should never appear on MMOC or any gaming related site.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2016-05-31 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    i know that other major sites are trying different things like telling you to turn off blockers

the problem is that MMOC is using a service with feeds. they should drop it completely. it's a lost cause spiraling down a toilet.

i don't know who controls this for MMOC/curse network, but they should drop the services, feeds, scripts, etc... connect visitors directly with products and services. no blocker being used is going to mistake regular links and images as an ad service. plus it's a million times safer.

Their profit could be a lot higher than it currently is given the amount of traffic. Tons of people aren't even seeing the ads, much less bothering to click and buy/subscribe to anything. In the past when i've looked at MMOC without blocking ads, there was all kinds of stuff that's not relevant to MMOC visitors. It's like trying to use a sawed shotgun for a 100 yard precision shot. Right now i can see a WoW movie ad at the top, but in other spots i'm seeing stuff that should never appear on MMOC or any gaming related site.
    If we did that and magically everyone turned off adblock, we would still be significantly worse off. Ads sold directly by us are a minority of the overall ads, and we have a giant network (Curse).

If we did that and magically everyone turned off adblock, we would still be significantly worse off. Ads sold directly by us are a minority of the overall ads, and we have a giant network (Curse).
    Is this something that is handled in house, or is it a Curse governance type of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    MMOC is one of the main culprits that lead to me getting adblock in the first place. Whatever scripts were running in the ads was making my system completely unstable while browsing MMOC.
    wowhead locks me up without ad blocker.

I really hate the front page of MMO-C, even with Ad-block it "stalls" somewhat when opening the page...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Is this something that is handled in house, or is it a Curse governance type of thing?
    Curse handles the ads for all Curse sites, so we have the power of a lot of unique visitors, it still isn't easy to directly sell a ton of ads.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I really hate the front page of MMO-C, even with Ad-block it "stalls" somewhat when opening the page...
    A solution (or attempted fix) for that is coming within the next month or so hopefully.

Thanks for the open transparency chaud.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I just go to a different tab for a bit.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Unless you folks want to pony up some cash, quit crying about the ads. I don't fault folks making money as they provide a free service to me. That being said, I'd pay $12/yr for ad-free mmo champ.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Unless you folks want to pony up some cash, quit crying about the ads. I don't fault folks making money as they provide a free service to me. That being said, I'd pay $12/yr for ad-free mmo champ.
    That's not a very constructive or compelling argument, and I think you're entirely missing the point. This is a matter of ads being a hindrance to a product we all enjoy using, and the need for them is wholesomely understood. Although the ad governance is out of the hands of MMO-C, it does not mean having a dialogue and providing feedback is not a step in the right direction

A solution (or attempted fix) for that is coming within the next month or so hopefully.
    And this is fantastic news, I'm glad it's on your radar

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    34 ads currently on this page as I type.

Even with adblocker, the page loading time is crazy! Atleast 10 seconds or so.
    I don't use adblocker and there has never been anywhere near 34 ads on any page, more like 3-5 at most. As chaud says, you are getting false reads with adblocker which makes you think the problem is worse than it is and thus incentivizes you to keep using their product. Secondly, 10 second load time? That's ridiculous. No ads blocked here and the pages load quickly, your issue is somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I don't use adblocker and there has never been anywhere near 34 ads on any page, more like 3-5 at most. As chaud says, you are getting false reads with adblocker which makes you think the problem is worse than it is and thus incentivizes you to keep using their product. Secondly, 10 second load time? That's ridiculous. No ads blocked here and the pages load quickly, your issue is somewhere else.
    I don't think it's reasonable to base your stance on "I don't see an issue, therefore no one else should be having this issue" especially when you're not even using an ad blocker. I have provided a screenshot of the volume of blocked items (and I'm sure there's overlap), so these aren't fabricated numbers. And to note, it doesn't block strictly ads, but hidden cookies and trackers associated with them which are not visible elements on a page. The 10 seconds is more than likely an over-exaggeration, but the bottom line is that there's an effect on load times. There is a small hang-up, probably ranging up to 6-7 seconds in some extreme cases, when landing on the homepage. It is disruptive and a recurring problem throughout the site which makes navigation more difficulty than in the past, but the hang time is apparently being worked on which is all I can really ask for.
    Last edited by Vellus; 2016-06-01 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    No, it isn't. And when the front page is media-heavy, it takes forever. Trust me - I've been coming here for years. Even when I turn everything off for this site, it still loads slower than any other site. Right now I've got eight tabs open in Chrome, so if it were a computer issue, I should see it on each tab. If it were a network issue, I should see it on each tab. I don't.

Edit to add: on newegg.com's front page, I have 24 items blocked. And the site still loads instantly. On MMO-Champion's front page, I have 50. I am not exaggerating. And there is a delay in loading. Now maybe some of those are false positives. But answer me this - why is it this site alone that has so many false positives? Why is this site causing adblockers to register twice as much as my next highest count site? I just checked youtube.com and it has 541 items blocked, and it's STILL faster to load than MMO-Champion.
    Last edited by Ringthane; 2016-06-01 at 02:57 PM.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Up until recently, I've been open to pausing my ad-blocker for MMO-Champion because I want to support a site I visit regularly. Recently, after re-downloading my browser, my defaults set a blocker back on MMO-Champ. I am absolutely STUNNED at the amount of blockers, cookies, and advertising trackers I am bombarded with when visiting the homepage alone. I have seen the amount of trackers range into the 60's in some cases.

Am I the only one that finds this troubling? Almost every website I visit, this number very rarely breaks double digits. As someone who works in data analytics, I know for a fact this is affecting performance of web pages. I find this incredibly troubling for my own privacy and I will not be unblocking MMO-Champion moving forward.
    Might explain why this site is by far the worst running site for me of them all. Like, it is at times barely operable for me. My typing will freeze up for a couple of seconds repeatedly or be agonizingly slow to represent in the text box itself. Browsing will get bogged down to a crawl. In fact, this is the only site I experience these sorts of issues with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    ...and I'd just go somewhere else. Never heard of someone being willing to take on yet another subscription fee for little to nothing.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-06-01 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Plenty of websites share the same ad networks, yet I have yet to encounter any on the scale MMO-Champ is on with the volume of items blocked, whether that be from the ad network or the site itself. Is this not seen as a problem?

MMO-C is bad, but Wowhead is as bad or worse. I don't know how they get anything done on that site with the crap that hits you on every page. It often locks up my browser or I get script errors because my blocker/anti-malware is working overtime there.

I installed Ghostery solely because of how much mmo-c does. The way I see it they have these options.

A. Lessen the load, I'll disable adblock and ghostery.

B. Keep it as is, I keep both enabled and they make nothing off me.

C. Switch to paywall and I find another website.
    Last edited by hydrium; 2016-06-01 at 03:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ZAM in general seems to have an incredibly low bar for what qualifies as a legitimate ad network.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    MMO-C is bad, but Wowhead is as bad or worse. I don't know how they get anything done on that site with the crap that hits you on every page. It often locks up my browser or I get script errors because my blocker/anti-malware is working overtime there.
    I've been here for years, the only variable that has changed is the amount of items being blocked. It may be amplified with the fact these sites are very image heavy, but MMO-Champs format has changed very little, if at all. I think the root cause is Curse's terrible ad network if it's consistent across Wowhead too.