The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

A bettuh WiFi router!

Halp.

There's too many options!

My house has the XFinity all-in-one modem and router and frankly, its signal is just shit by the time I get up to my bedroom from its location in the basement.

I care about price-performance, it might matter for gaming, but I rarely use my laptop, so think more about just having cell phones and maybe the occasional work laptop on its signal.

How about the 5GHz bandwidth? Should I worry about that? (I think so, right?)

I would like it to be solid, to last, and provide a good strong connection for a 2800 ft^2 house and be able to also help out in the back and front yards, which have some concrete interference.

Thanks all!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Halp.

There's too many options!

My house has the XFinity all-in-one modem and router and frankly, its signal is just shit by the time I get up to my bedroom from its location in the basement.

I care about price-performance, it might matter for gaming, but I rarely use my laptop, so think more about just having cell phones and maybe the occasional work laptop on its signal.

How about the 5GHz bandwidth? Should I worry about that? (I think so, right?)

I would like it to be solid, to last, and provide a good strong connection for a 2800 ft^2 house and be able to also help out in the back and front yards, which have some concrete interference.

Thanks all!
    5 GHz doesn't have as much penetration as 2.4, so I'd imagine going from the basement to your top floor would end up being worse.
    I don't have a suggestion for a router, but I do have a question - is your router's antenna pointed up? Try pointing it sideways, on some (well, most), the signal radiates out and not forward from the tip.

If you have the budget, the FortiAP access points are simply amazing, but they're more aimed at offices and in an ideal environment they interface with a FortiGate firewall. They can work standalone, though. But man, those things pack a punch.

Having said all that, keep in mind that even if you receive amazing signal on the top floor, your device still has to send signal back to the AP downstairs. That's usually where the problems come in. Ideally, you'd want your main AP downstairs radiating upwards, and a secondary AP on the top floor radiating sideways.
    Last edited by aktorsyl; 2016-06-01 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    5 GHz doesn't have as much penetration as 2.4, so I'd imagine going from the basement to your top floor would end up being worse.
    I don't have a suggestion for a router, but I do have a question - is your router's antenna pointed up? Try pointing it sideways, on some (well, most), the signal radiates out and not forward from the tip.

If you have the budget, the FortiAP access points are simply amazing, but they're more aimed at offices and in an ideal environment they interface with a FortiGate firewall. They can work standalone, though. But man, those things pack a punch.

Having said all that, keep in mind that even if you receive amazing signal on the top floor, your device still has to send signal back to the AP downstairs. That's usually where the problems come in. Ideally, you'd want your main AP downstairs radiating upwards, and a secondary AP on the top floor radiating sideways.
    It doesn't have antennas. =/
    @Promethieus, please tell me about why you're suggesting that... garbage can. :3
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    @Promethieus, please tell me about why you're suggesting that... garbage can. :3
    I don't know. I saw hype about it a while ago, no idea how good it is. Figured I would throw it in the pool of routers that might get mentioned in this thread. Seems solid from what they list.

For what it's worth, I'm using an Asus RT-N66U since the wifi from my modem/router thing is crap and it works nicely, no problems at all, I did however make sure it was also not in the basement like the modem, previous owners had a network cable come in near the television cable box so I put it there, but even upstairs I get a good connection to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It doesn't have antennas. =/
    Pity :/ Does it also not have an antenna port?

Personally I use plain ol' D-Link at home, but a combination of 3 small AP's, so I can't really speak to the single-AP approach that would be best in this case.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OnHub only truly shows itself when you have a LOT of devices connected at the same time, it's entire design is based on having as many antennas as possible to give decent connection to as many devices as possible. For a home with a bunch of "internet of things" things. It's pretty much a waste if you only intend to connect a few things to the router, as you'll have a bunch of antennas not really doing much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm using an Asus RT-N66U since the wifi from my modem/router thing is crap and it works nicely, no problems at all, I did however make sure it was also not in the basement like the modem, previous owners had a network cable come in near the television cable box so I put it there, but even upstairs I get a good connection to it.
    Might have to consider this. How is it for gaming purposes?

At only $98 it might be the router for me! Thanks, Denpepe!

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The OnHub only truly shows itself when you have a LOT of devices connected at the same time, it's entire design is based on having as many antennas as possible to give decent connection to as many devices as possible. For a home with a bunch of "internet of things" things. It's pretty much a waste if you only intend to connect a few things to the router, as you'll have a bunch of antennas not really doing much.
    Solves that, thanks Artorius!
    "A flower.

Only really played wow with it multiplayer wise but is was fine, download speeds were a bit slower then wired (60-ish iso 90+) might have been the d-link adapter I used, streaming netflix was also fine (and that's one floor up from where it is) there are like 4-5 devices connecting to it from different rooms and floors and no one is complaining about bad connections or disconnects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Only really played wow with it multiplayer wise but is was fine, download speeds were a bit slower then wired (60-ish iso 90+) might have been the d-link adapter I used, streaming netflix was also fine (and that's one floor up from where it is) there are like 4-5 devices connecting to it from different rooms and floors and no one is complaining about bad connections or disconnects.
    Awesome. Highly recommended then, carry on!
    "A flower.