Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Game Industry Executives Are Fucking Idiots (The Jimquisition)

Title speaks for itself, couldn't agree more with everything he said. Also, #FucKonami at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    A new Sterling vid? Thank god for him. I must watch when i get home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure there are diamonds in the rough here... care to summarize? I can't listen at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I am sure there are diamonds in the rough here... care to summarize? I can't listen at work.
    The TL;DW is:
    -Jim Sterling takes credit for microtransactions being removed from Payday 2
    -Battlefield 1 almost didn't get made because execs thought that it would be boring and that a younger audience wouldn't even know what WWI is
    -Survival horror was absent from AAA titles last console generation (which they weren't) because execs thought that the market wasn't there for them
    -Execs think that single player games don't have a market(while they continue to greenlight games like Bioshock??)
    -colorful games are made brown and bloom grimdark because of exec intervention
    -video game marketing sucks
    Basically Jim Sterling continues to be an idiot and higher ups in the video game industry continue to be oblivious to what gamers want.

Deleted
    Watched 2 minutes, figured he is just a glorified... "Critic".

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Watched 2 minutes, figured he is just a glorified... "Critic".
    Him sucking himself off for the micro transactions being removed from Payday 2 was sickening, I almost stopped there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Him sucking himself off
    It's part of his persona. Don't take it too seriously.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I knew it! EA didn't actually want this! Being original would be to fucking obvious. We will never know what happened, but I'm betting on blackmail with pictures of naked CEO's.

Fuck. I can't believe that I believed EA had learned their lesson for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I knew it! EA didn't actually want this! Being original would be to fucking obvious. We will never know what happened, but I'm betting on blackmail with pictures of naked CEO's.
    Large companies are risk averse? Say it ain't so!

Seriously though, it's an understandable concern for them as a major company. Between the cost of major AAA games, the importance of Battlefield as one of their core franchises, and the lackluster success of Hardline (which was a bit of a risk), there's good reason for them to hesitate on greenlighting it.

But they did. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Fuck. I can't believe that I believed EA had learned their lesson for 2 weeks.
    Except that they still went with the game even though they apparently were very concerned. You know, except for that.

But hey, let's not let anything stop the EA hate train from going full speed ahead : )

Honestly though, given EA's success over the past 5 years (stock price is almost 4x what it was) and their position looking forward (they're in a fantastic place with regards to digital, have the Star Wars IP on lock, and have a pretty diverse portfolio of safe games) they sure must be "fucking idiots".

Damnit, my life was better for the short period of time I'd forgotten that Jim Sterling existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Large companies are risk averse? Say it ain't so!

Seriously though, it's an understandable concern for them as a major company. Between the cost of major AAA games, the importance of Battlefield as one of their core franchises, and the lackluster success of Hardline (which was a bit of a risk), there's good reason for them to hesitate on greenlighting it.

But they did. Yay.

Except that they still went with the game even though they apparently were very concerned. You know, except for that.

But hey, let's not let anything stop the EA hate train from going full speed ahead : )

Honestly though, given EA's success over the past 5 years (stock price is almost 4x what it was) and their position looking forward (they're in a fantastic place with regards to digital, have the Star Wars IP on lock, and have a pretty diverse portfolio of safe games) they sure must be "fucking idiots".

Damnit, my life was better for the short period of time I'd forgotten that Jim Sterling existed.
    I'm not sure how much reading between the lines you did, but I think I didn't write enough of them to warrant this response. Sterling is mediocre, the Star Wars IP wasted on EA (recently proven) and the reason I'm facepalming over EA yet again, is not their doubt, it's the reason for their doubt.

And P.S.

When a man kills 15 babies before his 20th and then repents, should I now call him my friend?

Him sucking himself off for the micro transactions being removed from Payday 2 was sickening, I almost stopped there.
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the routine.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

This guy is a tool and the best part is when Jtbrig7390 links his videos to try and prove a point.

As if some blow hards opinion is proof of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This guy is a tool and the best part is when Jtbrig7390 links his videos to try and prove a point.

As if some blow hards opinion is proof of anything.
    Was anything he said wrong?

Also I love you too tech maybe we should BBQ sometime....

Also guys the Payday 2 part was a joke.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the routine.
    It was.

It was satire mainly and yet people like Tech614 and Gib Lover can't realize that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh it was a joke. I suppose his persona is deliberately aimed and pissing people off though.

Pretty good watch. It's truly horrifying to think about all the games that could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Uhhh it was a joke. I suppose his persona is deliberately aimed and pissing people off though.

Pretty good watch. It's truly horrifying to think about all the games that could have been.
    It is and lots of people fall for it. I guess its the same people who thinks he really does want to fuck pog's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Eh, don't fall into the trap of, "Everything that isn't is the best thing ever."

People do it constantly, about everything. The reality is that anything that gets made would be pretty much on the same level as everything else that gets made.
    You're not wrong, but we don't know that which is the scary part. Fear the unknown!

However, we do have substantial evidence that game industry executives actually can be blithering idiots who don't know their market so I think the chances are good that there have been some great games that never saw the light of day.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2016-06-07 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Was anything he said wrong?.
    BF1 almost not getting made- he provides 0 proof. If EA greenlit it with the franchise backing of BF behind it clearly their investors believe in it. EA is the biggest anti risk publisher in the industry.

Survival Horror being non existent last gen- did he actually play games last gen? Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead being smash hit IPs say hello Jim. Want me to name them all?

Him claiming execs don't like single player games is blatently false. In fact Execs are the ones that keep forcing campaigns into games that don't need them like CoD because they think they're needed for marketing material.

Colorful games rant is also blatantly false. Games where not that colorful last gen to cover up short cuts they had to take to make those games. There have been very few gray and brown games this gen for a reason, almost every game coming out is colorful because they no longer need to cover up muddy textures and shitty draw distances.

So yes, almost everything he said is wrong. Love how you bring up the payday comment towards me when I never once commented on it at all. Jim is an idiot plain and simple.

It feels so good never listening to anyone like this. I actually don't even know who he is. Its not hard to just make your own decisions based on what you like instead bitching constantly about things and joining the circle jerk. Just stop supporting people with your money if you don't like what they do and focus on something positive. It does wonders for your outlook on life.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    However, we do have substantial evidence that game industry executives actually can be blithering idiots who don't know their market so I think the chances are good that there have been some great games that never saw the light of day.
    What is the substantial evidence? You mean the exceptions you can point out? You don't know the vast majority of Execs for a reason, probably because they're doing a great job in the quiet. Another case of acting like a loud minority is the majority.

BF1 almost not getting made- he provides 0 proof. If EA greenlit it with the franchise backing of BF behind it clearly their investors believe in it. EA is the biggest anti risk publisher in the industry.
    Not sure how Jim presented it, but EA has been open that they almost didn't greenlight the game.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why...en-138747.html

Survival Horror being non existent last gen- did he actually play games last gen? Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead being smash hit IPs say hello Jim. Want me to name them all?
    Erm, both of those are absolutely action games and not really what would fall under traditional survival-horror as a genre. Last gen was largely devoid of the types of mid/big budget survival horror games that had existed the generation prior. They started popping back up near the end after the survival-horror scene on PC started blowing up and companies realized that there was still a market for the genre.

Him claiming execs don't like single player games is blatently false. In fact Execs are the ones that keep forcing campaigns into games that don't need them like CoD because they think they're needed for marketing material.
    Yeah...not sure where he got this one from.

Colorful games rant is also blatantly false. Games where not that colorful last gen to cover up short cuts they had to take to make those games. There have been very few gray and brown games this gen for a reason, almost every game coming out is colorful because they no longer need to cover up muddy textures and shitty draw distances.
    Eh, I'll give it a mix on this one. We're seeing more "colorful" games now, but it's not as if last gen's tech was incapable of handling games with diverse color pallets. And we've still got plenty of the gray/brown this gen as well.

Jim is an idiot plain and simple.
    I agree. I've found little of what he says to be insightful or interesting, most of it is repeating the same tired nonsense that folks like hearing.

What is the substantial evidence? You mean the exceptions you can point out? You don't know the vast majority of Execs for a reason, probably because they're doing a great job in the quiet. Another case of acting like a loud minority is the majority.
    Yeah, I actually dislike how much hate the business/marketing folks get on this front. Yeah, they screw up, but everyone does. And for most companies, they're successful far more often than not. Yeah, they may not greenlight every potentially interesting game or may "compromise" developers creative freedom, but it's done with the goal of making sure the publisher/developers remain profitable so that they can continue making games rather than lay them off.

It sucks for consumers, but it's the reality of running an entertainment business. It's still a business at the end of the day.