Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Did SoR just replace Holy Power?

I'm trying to follow along with Legion changes, and this part confuses me. The wanted to get away from paladins having a resource to build and draw on (Holy Power) - why, I don't know - but so many of the abilities that used to work off Holy Power now simply work off charges of Shield of the Righteous. So what's the difference? Instead of building HP we build charges of SoR. What am I missing and what's the thinking behind this?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Judgment reduces SoR by 2 sec or 4sec if it crits. That is it... there is no building it just has a cd with the ability to hold up to 3 of them.

Is it better than HP? Fuck no but w/e blizz doesn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    To answer the title: No.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    What am I missing and what's the thinking behind this?
    The only rational fucking thing I can come up with for this pants on head retarded choice, is they wanted to get hype from all the mouth breathing holypower haters who gave up on Prot Pally in Cata because they hated Holypower. I'm not even joking both the main servers I played on during Cata actually had people who hated Holy Power so much they claimed it ruined the class, let alone specs.

The Legion Prot Paladin system is so fucking basic a comatose inbred otter suffering from cerebral palsy could be successful. It's embarrassing that a game that should have over a decade of class design built into it produced such a insufferable spec.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2016-06-08 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Fuck no but w/e blizz doesn't care.
    Seems like the main reason why wow is dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Seems like the main reason why wow is dying.
    Its crazy how many changes or problems have been brought to blizz by the theorycrafters that actually can communicate to them mostly directly and still they say things like Purg isn't better than a 20% cd because smoothing dmg is better than a cheat death. Oh wait you can spec into all passives and never need more smoothing and a cheat is just for a bad rng situation.

Just dumb shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    so many of the abilities that used to work off Holy Power now simply work off charges of Shield of the Righteous. So what's the difference? Instead of building HP we build charges of SoR. What am I missing and what's the thinking behind this?
    During the alpha (I think) Blizz basically stated the SotR charges were the new resource for Prot paladins to manage. Obviously not the same as HP, because charges to abilities don't work the same as combo points, but... yeah, using SotR charges effectively will be very important for tankadins.

7+ Year Old Account
    No offense, but I tend to take most of the griping on these forums with a grain of salt. I mean, any given concern expressed here could be 100% dead on, but it’s hard to know which are legit and which are hyperbole until you’ve played it yourself.

That said, I am enjoying my prot pally on live even more than I expected. Hadn’t played him since the final days of Cataclysm, but I love how active we are with so many useful abilities to choose from with every click.

I only leveled him up as an after-thought. Was all set to go into Legion with my DK, Bear, Rogue, and Hunter. Now I’m really hoping I can enjoy my paladin as well. We shall see!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thoroughly enjoy it, Glad to be away from the God awful shitstick that was Holy Power. Now if only they removed it from Ret as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy it, Glad to be away from the God awful shitstick that was Holy Power. Now if only they removed it from Ret as well.
    Holy power could be alot more fun if it was good,but since wod came it has more or less been ditched. What holy power needs in my mind is a rethink i think it would be far more fun it if was used used as something you could build up 2. Like a cooldown but instead of having time decide when you can use it your playstyle will decide when to use it i think it would be more fun if it was a slow but big thing likea 5min cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense, but I tend to take most of the griping on these forums with a grain of salt. I mean, any given concern expressed here could be 100% dead on, but it’s hard to know which are legit and which are hyperbole until you’ve played it yourself.

That said, I am enjoying my prot pally on live even more than I expected. Hadn’t played him since the final days of Cataclysm, but I love how active we are with so many useful abilities to choose from with every click.

I only leveled him up as an after-thought. Was all set to go into Legion with my DK, Bear, Rogue, and Hunter. Now I’m really hoping I can enjoy my paladin as well. We shall see!
    I'll make it simple man, if you enjoy how Prot paladin plays right now, how almost every button has a good feel to it. Like how you hit it because it does something. You won't like Legion Prot Paladin.

If you enjoy how current Prot Paladin flow you will -not- like Legion Prot Paladin.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide, give it a try.

I can PM you with more details if you really want them.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2016-06-10 at 04:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsiren View Post
    I'll make it simple man, if you enjoy how Prot paladin plays right now, how almost every button has a good feel to it. Like how you hit it because it does something. You won't like Legion Prot Paladin.

If you enjoy how current Prot Paladin flow you will -not- like Legion Prot Paladin.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide, give it a try.

Thanks, but I don’t guess that would be a useful way to spend your time. Not like explaining to me will fix anything.

It is a bummer, because I love both my prot pally and my BM hunter on live, and I’m hearing those two specs got simplified the most? I’m seeing gripes about every spec, but I’m seeing positive stuff to balance the gripes regarding Bears and Blood DKs. So I’ll probably start on those two and see where things go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsiren View Post
    Please PM me too, I play my paladins only as tank and like the game play now.

During the WoD beta Disc Priests had a talent equivalent to Life swap without a cd (that doesn't work if you have less HP than the target) which to me seemed incredibly broken for tank healing. Healing someone for 50% of their hp on an instant cast with no cd is incredibly broken, even if it does reduce healing by 10% for 10 seconds (which is nothing, even at multiple stacks... 10 seconds is so short).

It was the perfect answer to tanks dying from spike damage and you know what? Dozens of people on the Wowhead forums bitched about how bad it was. On and on they went complaining and bitching and working each other up into a hysteria.

The reality was that the talent they were bitching about was in fact massively OP and eventually got nerfed to hell.

Thats why in my opinion these forums are useless without a vote function like with Reddit, theres just far, far too much utter rubbish and it makes it too hard to find those awesome gems of analysis that do exist.

Im looking forward to Legion Pally tanking, I will find out for myself as these forums have zero credibility.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I'm happy to hear you're enjoying Legion paladins, and hope I do too. But what was your gripe with holy power? To me it feels like a simple and easy mechanic to use. The power builds fast and is easy to use. It seems a wee bit more interesting to have two rows of abilities (builders and spenders) than one.