Constant high world ms. Can't cast spells, even tho I see everyone else do.

Okay.. this is a constant problem of mine lately, and I really can't play like this..

I'm from Denmark, my normal latency, and my current home ms, is always below 50ms.
    But my world ms, spikes, it will start out showing 150ms or so, and then suddenly, I will not be able to attack, and the world ms jumps to 1300..

This isn't normal lag, everything doesn't stop.. only my character, I can run around just fine (altho my character will not move in the actual game, for other players) but not cast any abilites..

While this is going on, EVERYTHING ELSE is working fine, I can chat alright and I can still follow the fight, where everything is going fine, for every single other player.

Just did Fel Lord, at 30%, my char stopped responding, the fight continued, the team finished the boss, and loot popped up on my screen.. I still can't cast abilties, or roll on loot at this point.

After a little more time, my char will suddenly cast whatever spell was stuck in the queue. And then everything is working fine again.. While the world ms will now stay at 1300.

It is completly random, when in a fight it will happen and it isn't always a full stop of being able to cast abilties, it some times, it's just a huge ass delay, like 1-2 sec per spell..

Going backout side Hellfire, instantly made my world ms drop back to 29ms

Do anyone have any idea, what so ever, as to what could be causing this?
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

What would be the ISP issue? when my internet is fine, with everything else?

Why would, going inside hellfire, cause high world ms? and what excatly, am I suppose to call and say to my ISP? "My internet works fine, for everything other than this one instance, in this one game I play", I can't see them taking that very serious.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Happens to me and to a few people I know. All from different cities and even countries. It's not your ISP's problem.

EDIT: I have two different connections at home. Sometimes it helps to switch the ISP, sometimes it doesn't.
    Last edited by barricade_; 2016-06-09 at 08:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instanced content run on different servers, maybe the route for you is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    What would be the ISP issue? when my internet is fine, with everything else?

Why would, going inside hellfire, cause high world ms? and what excatly, am I suppose to call and say to my ISP? "My internet works fine, for everything other than this one instance, in this one game I play", I can't see them taking that very serious.
    As Artorius pointed out before I could, the instance servers are not the same as the regular servers. If you having latency issues when you are connecting to them, your ISP is taking a poor route to them. They are really the only ones that can fix it. You could call Blizzard and if Blizzard has enough complaints from people with the same ISP they can put a little pressure on your ISP as well to get them to fix it. If it's a latency issue though, it's your ISP. There is not really much else it could be.

Other, far less likely, possibilities for the problem could be that you upload bandwidth is fully saturated by something else or the upload bandwidth for your entire area is fully saturated by something else. I doubt this to be the case though. I did have this same kind of issue, in another game, when I started streaming before my internet got upgraded. Because I was uploading my stream, my upload was fully saturated, not leaving room for my game client to communicate with the server. Once my internet got upgraded from a 10/1 connection to a 50/5 connection, the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Instanced content run on different servers, maybe the route for you is just bad.
    Yes, different from the world server, but am I wrong in assuming, that those servers, would all pretty much be under the same subnet? so the path to Blizzard's ISP isn't going to be changing from being in open world, to a instance. Only the path from blizzards ISP to the right internal server, would change?

I don’t mean to insult you, but are you playing over Wi-Fi?

Do you happen to have software running that stresses your Internet connection, such as downloading torrent? This is also an issue if you share the connection with a roommate who stresses the connection.

WoW servers are made of clusters of different servers. For instance it happens that the server responsible for casting spells is laggy while the chat server is responsive.

Please don’t give too much credit for the World Latency and Home Latency. A low value doesn’t mean much. I have stopped counting how many times the value was very good but the game was laggy as hell. However, a bad value (high latency) is usually a relevant symptom. But a good value (low latency) should basically be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Ennvina View Post
    I don’t mean to insult you, but are you playing over Wi-Fi?
    Yes I am, and no, there are no interfering frequency, I checked for the most optimal frequency for the signal before we set it up.
    The routher is less than 5m away, directly facing my wifi antenna, and no where near "kitchen"..
    Also, if the wifi was a problem.. I can't see how this problem would be singled out to one instance in wow, and not be a problem in the other mmo I play, or while downloading.

I would change to cable, if we had one longer than 1½m.

And no, ofc I am not downloading while playing games.. Everyone else in the house, only uses the internet for web browsing, some youtube and netflix.. but on a 50/20 line, that is hardly a problem.

As my previous post, are the open world server and instance servers, not located at the same data center?
    Last edited by Quibble; 2016-06-10 at 12:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has servers at different datacenters, so yeah if you're playing with people from different realms and things like this you could very well end up on a different location entirely. I'm not really sure of they have instance server at all datacenters but it sounds likely that they should have.