Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Herald of the titans -and patch notes

Hi Achievers!

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the raid forum. I've seen from the patch notes that they are disabling the set bonuses from previous tier pieces. Does anyone know if this applies to level appropriate gear. At the moment, my guild are working on the Herald of the Titans achievement. We've done it and are now taking other people through to get the title. Obviously loss of the set bonuses will make it a bit tougher I am hoping that its only disabled at max level but from the way its worded, I'm fairly sure its everything across the board.

If anyone knows, then could you confirm for me.

Thanks

if you invest some time to enchant / gem all your gear you wont need set-boni at all cause you over-dps that boss no matter what (scaling "issue" of old content).
    i helped some friends do this back in cata where we didnt have "old-lvl-dmg-buffs" (introduced in mop) and farming wotlk gear was nothing you could easily do solo like you can do now and we facerolled that boss with no set-boni whatsoever.

my speculation would be that this set-bonus thing is temporary and limited to the ptr to simplify testing or whatever.
    doesnt really sound like something that "NEEDS" to happen for any reason.

but thats just my speculation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post
    but thats just my speculation
    Unfortunately it's only speculation.

Did it with a ten-man group about a month ago as a Druid tank. My tier-bonus was absolutely required for the fight after watching the Paladin tank get gibbed on a number of attempts. It was once I started off as the first tank and had a chance to let CDs come back up for his Enrage that we could finally get the kill.

Group was geared and enchanted and all that jazz; nobody was being carried.
    Answer The Call of Azeroth!
    Wyrmrest Accord - Alliance RP Guild
    Guild Home
    Guild Armory

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetherine View Post
    Unfortunately it's only speculation.

Did it with a ten-man group about a month ago as a Druid tank. My tier-bonus was absolutely required for the fight after watching the Paladin tank get gibbed on a number of attempts. It was once I started off as the first tank and had a chance to let CDs come back up for his Enrage that we could finally get the kill.

Group was geared and enchanted and all that jazz; nobody was being carried.
    Thanks for the response. I've done the achievement 3 times already, similar scenario as you. We had a few issues with tanks getting gibbed so the set bonuses became pretty useful -I'm sure we can tidy up our performance but we like to take newer players along to get the title, so I'll make use of anything that eases the ride.
    @Sethanor -thanks for your speculation. Blizzard apparently mentioned that one of the reasons for cutting the set bonuses was due to abilities being removed and they didn't want to redesign and tune old items. -I can't remember the source on this as I've been trawling about various forums.

odd, i cant remember having any such problems at all... maybe the whole scaling changed quite a lot between cata and now.
    what kind of tank did you use? back in the day it was WAY more effective to bring a tank that can block, as algalon is a fast-hitter and you cant reliably avoid that many attacks, but blocking works wonders.
    i remember that all of our players did raid ulduar before (while it was current in wotlk) and they all had kill-xp on algalon25, so that maybe helped (alltho tactics are fairly simple) and the only thing i can think of that one-shots tanks would be "Cosmic Smash" which targets a tank as well and the red circle is quite easily missed. Only other one-shot mechanic is big-bang which should always be taken by someone with an immunity which is mostly not a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    -thanks for your speculation. Blizzard apparently mentioned that one of the reasons for cutting the set bonuses was due to abilities being removed and they didn't want to redesign and tune old items. -I can't remember the source on this as I've been trawling about various forums.
    that wouldnt make much sense either, cause they already have re-designed most (if not all) old set-boni ... i dont know, seems just like one of those "random" things blizzard seems to do these days ... changing something that doesnt even need fixing in the first place