What is the most cost effective upgrade for my setup?

Processor: i5
    Mem: 16gb
    Graphics: GTX 970
    MotherB: G1sniper z97
    Monitor: 32" 1080p 60hz HDTV
    Prim Drive: EVO SSD

I am sort of guessing I am looking at something like a new monitor, which is 120hz or 1440p, as oppose to what I am currently using.

I do plan on upgrading to an addtional GTX 970 in SLI once prices drop due to the new GTX releases.

If you have 4670k/4690k, those will last you a while.
    I don't think 900 series will see any significant price drops outside of random retailer stock clear offers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the i5. Otherwise, nothing. The most cost effective thing to do is just wait. Assuming the CPU you have is a K part, the only upgrade form that is Skylake or X99 eight core CPUs. And none of that will produce an increase in FPS in games. A second GTX 970 is also a bad idea. Sell the GTX 970 now, and buy a 1070 or 1080. Or better yet, wait for AMD's Vega.

My processor I believe is a 4460.

are hdtv's okay to use as monitors? idk what the response time would be on something intended as a tv

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    are hdtv's okay to use as monitors? idk what the response time would be on something intended as a tv
    Some of them are, others not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    My processor I believe is a 4460.
    Don't spend the money. Wait for Zen if you need an upgrade. Even the, Zen probably won't do much.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    It's fine. Game consoles use HDTV's and nobody complains. Why would a PC be any different?

Yea I am currently using a cheap Insignia 32" 1080p I picked up at Best Buy for like $140 a few years back.

I've been told I would see some smoothing out of the frames swapping back to a monitor in the 120ghz range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It's fine. Game consoles use HDTV's and nobody complains. Why would a PC be any different?
    i think because, until recently, consoles have been limited to 30fps.. and since most television broadcasts and films are only 24fps (or something like that?) i imagine most televisions never really needed to display more than 30fps.
    now i know times have changed, high fps films exist, consoles can push 60fps out now, and of course television makers can use things like 1080P!! 60HZ!!! 4K!!! 3D!!!!!! 10000HZ!!! as fancy words for selling stuff to people who don't need it, or whatever. blah blah.

anyhow, point is, yeah i guess any tv bought in the last few years can probably do 60hz. but if it has like a 20ms response time or something it'd probably be really horrible to play games on!
    my 11 year old asus monitor is like 8ms with some kind of "fancy pants" that makes it seem like 2ms. now i don't know how it works, but when you disable that 2ms thing, that 8ms has some disgusting ghosting! this is not my main monitor anymore, don't worry.

maybe response time is old terminology that is unused these days? my google results were from 2007 lol. whatever it is called these days, it is still important for a nice experience.. and i don't know if a hdtv manufacturing puts as much emphasis on good response times as specific computer monitor manufacturers.

Easily the monitor. With that setup you could pass 60frames on many games and you'll notice the difference. You could also go with higher resolution and even find one with G-Sync support. Your're hardware is high-end, but your display is not.

Also, don't bother going Sli on the 970.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Thanks everyone, I sort of thought my display was pretty much the bottleneck.