Is WoW a difficult place to play a role in?

Moonguard is probably the server I'll be choosing because it's the most populous and well-known. For good or ill, Moonguard and Wyrmrest Accord are the only real choices for populated servers. That said, is World of Warcraft a tough place to role play in lieu of the crippling reputations that have cropped up and the hostility I've heard about towards newcomers.

I've heard them all personally and while I'm not saying they're bad reasons because everyone has a right to choose their company, but for newcomers it can be very off-putting.

- "You don't fit into our established/ongoing story(ies)."
    - "You have to follow our (long list of) rules and etiquette."
    - "Don't RP this, that or the other because it isn't 'proper' or lore abiding."
    - "Your character isn't very interesting to me/us."
    - "You 'have to' do this, that or the other while RP'ing with me/us."
    - "Don't RP with them, they're our enemies/rivals or we just don't accept those players."
    - "You have to be in our guild and/or be active on our website and/or attend our scheduled events or we won't accept you."

The list goes on, but you get the point.

Now I know for a fact that there are WAAAY more exclusive RP forums and games than those of World of Warcraft but for a beginner like me and a semi-casual-semi-competitive player like me, I just want to jump into stories, have some laughs, make some waves, get into some fights and make some friends, enemies and frienemies. Is that too much to ask?

It's difficult to RP because everyone just wants to get you in skype and sex it up.

One time I tricked a guy into thinking I was a girl(my name was bigboobkin) and got into a call with him and after he finished masturbating to my fake girl voice I told him I was actually a guy and that he should get out of the basement, he raged and threatened to find out where I live. I recorded it so me and my mates had a good laugh.

I still live in fear to this day.

Conclusion, don't go to moonguard to RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Missionary Jacobus View Post
    Moonguard is probably the server I'll be choosing because it's the most populous and well-known. For good or ill, Moonguard and Wyrmrest Accord are the only real choices for populated servers. That said, is World of Warcraft a tough place to role play in lieu of the crippling reputations that have cropped up and the hostility I've heard about towards newcomers.

I've heard them all personally and while I'm not saying they're bad reasons because everyone has a right to choose their company, but for newcomers it can be very off-putting.

- "You don't fit into our established/ongoing story(ies)."
    - "You have to follow our (long list of) rules and etiquette."
    - "Don't RP this, that or the other because it isn't 'proper' or lore abiding."
    - "Your character isn't very interesting to me/us."
    - "You 'have to' do this, that or the other while RP'ing with me/us."
    - "Don't RP with them, they're our enemies/rivals or we just don't accept those players."
    - "You have to be in our guild and/or be active on our website and/or attend our scheduled events or we won't accept you."

The list goes on, but you get the point.

Now I know for a fact that there are WAAAY more exclusive RP forums and games than those of World of Warcraft but for a beginner like me and a semi-casual-semi-competitive player like me, I just want to jump into stories, have some laughs, make some waves, get into some fights and make some friends, enemies and frienemies. Is that too much to ask?
    I've transferred a toon to a RP realm, but still do most of my RP in my own head tbh. I grew up playing RPGs when they were sitting around a table rolling dice. RP was fun then; what I've heard about it in WoW sounds forced and awkward. Not sure why I transferred other than being on a realm where most toons had back stories and appropriate names. And the possibility I'd find it more fun than expected.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    There has always been some difficulties, and bellow are some:

1- People who are in it just for the sake of sexual encounters. I get it, guy, that you like to cyber. Let me tell you a secret brother: We all do. I would spit in the face of any role player who comes out right and tells me they never did it, or at least considered it. That said though, when that is ALL you want to do, and it causes you to creep up on every female human that shows belly, or every female night elf that shows legs, then please spare us all.

A good example of 'sexual' encounters in WoW would be the ones that are story driven. I don't mind those one bit. Just don't make the story about getting driven there.

2- The lack of good concepts to RP on and how to emphasy on them. We also get it; ya'll are nobles and rich people in character! I mean just last week, my worgen warrior, who is simply a military private or equal in rank (Throne Guard; an honorary rank more than anything), went to Cathedral Square and everyone there was a noble fighting over who has the better status.

I mean, what the hell? Why do people have boners for noble folks? I have two noble characters myself, a brother and a sister, but they go all out of their way in character (and I do so as well out of character as a result) to NOT tell everyone I see on the streets of Stormwind that I am one.

3- One of the other issues is the settings. You would think that after all these years, they would provide some form of proper housing. Make it a bit expensive so that when you have gold, you can ACTUALLY look the noble part properly. And even aside of that, being able to host an event in your house without having to pretend that Ravenholdt's Manor or Gilneas or your garrison is your place would actually be good.

4- This is a very important one: No. Proper. Timeline. Until few days ago, a lot of us used to think that roughly ten years passed since vanilla, and therefore we aged our characters and played them accordingly, and now our characters are all suddenly 3 years younger, or started their ingame accolades when they were 3 years older. This is a HUGE issues for continuity that frankly many on my server are considering to just make new characters. This doesn't only mess ages, but for example a couple in my guild who got married in character during Cataclysm celebrated their 5 years anniversary the other day. Now that suddenly didn't happen, or happened in the future!

Those are only some issues, there are some others that I might be forgetting, but those are the currently present in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    There has always been some difficulties, and bellow are some:

1- People who are in it just for the sake of sexual encounters. I get it, guy, that you like to cyber. Let me tell you a secret brother: We all do. I would spit in the face of any role player who comes out right and tells me they never did it, or at least considered it. That said though, when that is ALL you want to do, and it causes you to creep up on every female human that shows belly, or every female night elf that shows legs, then please spare us all.

A good example of 'sexual' encounters in WoW would be the ones that are story driven. I don't mind those one bit. Just don't make the story about getting driven there.
    Well, first off, I am not interested in ERP. I don't think it belongs in a game like WoW. There's too much going on in the foreground of the overall story IMHO. Plus I think it's kind of gross, especially when I consider that kids play this game.

2- The lack of good concepts to RP on and how to emphasy on them. We also get it; ya'll are nobles and rich people in character! I mean just last week, my worgen warrior, who is simply a military private or equal in rank (Throne Guard; an honorary rank more than anything), went to Cathedral Square and everyone there was a noble fighting over who has the better status.

I mean, what the hell? Why do people have boners for noble folks? I have two noble characters myself, a brother and a sister, but they go all out of their way in character (and I do so as well out of character as a result) to NOT tell everyone I see on the streets of Stormwind that I am one.
    This I never really experienced to be honest. Back during MoP, in Goldshire, among the depraved ickies I see in the tavern, I never really saw Nobles in RP. I mostly saw a bunch of people arguing about who did what with whom and why that person is a coward or disloyal to the company. For like a straight week. In the same places. And for myself at least, I try to RP a consistent character who has his own REASONABLE interests, goals and desires. Since I'll be maining a Human Rogue, they'll be suitable to a Human's background and a Rogue's way of doing things. I couldn't be more turned off at the idea of Nobles, shipping companies, mercenary groups, blah blah blah. That horse is congealed pulp...

3- One of the other issues is the settings. You would think that after all these years, they would provide some form of proper housing. Make it a bit expensive so that when you have gold, you can ACTUALLY look the noble part properly. And even aside of that, being able to host an event in your house without having to pretend that Ravenholdt's Manor or Gilneas or your garrison is your place would actually be good.
    I'm sure Blizzard has dozens of reasons, factual or convenient, as to why they can't/won't do player housing. If you want player housing, WildStar still exists for now. :P I would love to have separate instanced zones of each zone in the game which allows you to select, customize and accentuate your home in a player-built community but it will never happen. Time to move on.

4- This is a very important one: No. Proper. Timeline. Until few days ago, a lot of us used to think that roughly ten years passed since vanilla, and therefore we aged our characters and played them accordingly, and now our characters are all suddenly 3 years younger, or started their ingame accolades when they were 3 years older. This is a HUGE issues for continuity that frankly many on my server are considering to just make new characters. This doesn't only mess ages, but for example a couple in my guild who got married in character during Cataclysm celebrated their 5 years anniversary the other day. Now that suddenly didn't happen, or happened in the future!

Those are only some issues, there are some others that I might be forgetting, but those are the currently present in my head.
    I've never really saw this as a problem since player RP takes place beside the main storyline, not within it. Technically, we're all nameless "heroes" who've come out of the woodwork and murdered thousands of creatures and taken down terrible villains in service to the Crown/Warchief/citizenry. RP is the player giving your character a soul, a voice and a place in the world. While we can, and should, take world events into account, I never see myself as a hero with golden hair, blue eyes and square jaw... I see myself as a person who either volunteers or is forced to do something for the sake of others because it's the right thing to do, or in the case of my Rogue, because he desires wealth and the eventual comfort of peace and a home in Lakeshire.

Besides all that, I was more getting at the problems I've faced where players intentionally make it difficult to RP. I was looking for opinions on your experiences regarding the exclusion of new roleplayers because they're not "initiated" or some such.

Deleted
    Well, first off, I am not interested in ERP. I don't think it belongs in a game like WoW. There's too much going on in the foreground of the overall story IMHO. Plus I think it's kind of gross, especially when I consider that kids play this game.

This I never really experienced to be honest. Back during MoP, in Goldshire, among the depraved ickies I see in the tavern, I never really saw Nobles in RP. I mostly saw a bunch of people arguing about who did what with whom and why that person is a coward or disloyal to the company. For like a straight week. In the same places. And for myself at least, I try to RP a consistent character who has his own REASONABLE interests, goals and desires. Since I'll be maining a Human Rogue, they'll be suitable to a Human's background and a Rogue's way of doing things. I couldn't be more turned off at the idea of Nobles, shipping companies, mercenary groups, blah blah blah. That horse is congealed pulp...

I'm sure Blizzard has dozens of reasons, factual or convenient, as to why they can't/won't do player housing. If you want player housing, WildStar still exists for now. :P I would love to have separate instanced zones of each zone in the game which allows you to select, customize and accentuate your home in a player-built community but it will never happen. Time to move on.

I've never really saw this as a problem since player RP takes place beside the main storyline, not within it. Technically, we're all nameless "heroes" who've come out of the woodwork and murdered thousands of creatures and taken down terrible villains in service to the Crown/Warchief/citizenry. RP is the player giving your character a soul, a voice and a place in the world. While we can, and should, take world events into account, I never see myself as a hero with golden hair, blue eyes and square jaw... I see myself as a person who either volunteers or is forced to do something for the sake of others because it's the right thing to do, or in the case of my Rogue, because he desires wealth and the eventual comfort of peace and a home in Lakeshire.
    With all due respect, I disagree with almost everything you said based on a long time experience. I have been RPing since TBC and I tell you, every long time RPer I run would tell you more or less the same.

(Also, just a side note: There is a difference between ERP and interacting sexually with another character that you know who is behind for the sake of a story line. I don't do it often, but it does happen.)

Now about this:

Besides all that, I was more getting at the problems I've faced where players intentionally make it difficult to RP. I was looking for opinions on your experiences regarding the exclusion of new roleplayers because they're not "initiated" or some such.
    Personally, I make a habit off RPing with new roleplayers all of the time to "initate" them or "give them the rub" or whatever you say it. And thus, helping in establishing them on the server's lore and make them feel welcome and fit in.

You should be a bit familiar with the lore, depending on what you play. Don't exaggerate your concepts. Often times it's better to start on a low roll and raise the bar over time. Except you are absolutely sure you can play a convincing role.
    Just as Kalec wrote, many long time RPers erp with thier usual partners. But this is no "must". You can simply say you don't want this kind of RP. On the concept point... I'm german and our biggest RP server is flooded with Worgen packs and bad Paladin orders. Not really funny.
    The setting thing is not really a problem. In worst case you can always invite people into your garrison (in the case of the human noble.)
    The timeline one is a real problem... but it isn't fixable. Newest lore ( the magni comic) spoke of the year 32. So there is the year we're in IC.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoWs lore and the Warcraft universe is an awesomely detailed place to create a character.

The biggest problem to actual RPing in WoW is that Blizzard doesn't give you any freedom to play according to your character.
    You have to do the quests, you have to farm most reps (and do the associated things) whether your character cares about that or not.

As for the players: In 4 years of playing on a small RP-PvP server I encountered exactly ONE RP event.

That being said, finding another RPer, sharing adventures and over time have your characters get romantically involved can be a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    The timeline one is a real problem... but it isn't fixable. Newest lore ( the magni comic) spoke of the year 32. So there is the year we're in IC.
    *chuckles*
    Luckily, as a 7000+ year old Draenei that has seen so many winters that they tend to blur together, timeline isn't much of a problem.
    Ifalna has no sense of longer time periods anymore, so I have the option of keeping everything vague.

- - - Updated - - -

While we can, and should, take world events into account, I never see myself as a hero with golden hair, blue eyes and square jaw... I see myself as a person who either volunteers or is forced to do something for the sake of others because it's the right thing to do, or in the case of my Rogue, because he desires wealth and the eventual comfort of peace and a home in Lakeshire.
    In the case of my Draenei, she accepts the most dangerous near suicide commando raids because she has a death wish.
    The loss of her family splintered her soul and made her go borderline insane/split her personality, delving deeper into the forbidden arts of shadowpriesting surely didn't help matters either.

NPCs are pretty scummy, taking advantage of her, don't you think?
    But even in her wounded / insane state she is absurdly powerful, since, contrary to other Draenei, never holds back.
    Mercy is alien to her when she walks in the shadows. She's even known to torture prisoners to death while extracting information.

Personally, I make a habit off RPing with new roleplayers all of the time to "initate" them or "give them the rub" or whatever you say it.
    Man this is scary!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeiAggra View Post
    Man this is scary!!!
    Why?

/10char

These old draenei without a concept of time are back at it again... damn spacegoats steal our timelines...

Why?

/10char
    The words you choose kinda give me the creeps lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeiAggra View Post
    The words you choose kinda give me the creeps lol
    That's your problem to be honest. I used a very viable wording.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    These old draenei without a concept of time are back at it again... damn spacegoats steal our timelines...
    At least it's not our task to maintain temporal integrity by slaying our soon to be mad future self. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    At least it's not our task to maintain temporal integrity by slaying our soon to be mad future self. ._.
    Yeah. We maybe just killed your alternative timeline sargerei self.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just a tip and kinda not on the main point, but from my experience, Moonguard is generally where the less experienced "bad" rpers go, and a lot of them will switch to WRA once they get better. Sure there are more people on Moonguard, but quality>quantity. (This isn't to say all Moonguard rp sucks or all WRA rp is god-like, but I've had alot more enjoyable experiences on WRA and many more regrettable ones on Moonguard)
    Last edited by Smank; 2016-07-03 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    I grew up playing RPGs when they were sitting around a table rolling dice.
    I'm going to be more than a bit off topic and say this: If that's true you would probly enjoy Critical Role, should check it out... It's pretty great.

Back on topic... Yeah, I don't RP but I have noticed that RP groups in this game tend to be a bit stingy... I'm on Silver Hand, and while it's an RP server there is one, maybe two guilds on the entire server that actually RPs - I started playing here back near the middle of BC because I found out that I had some RL friends who played here, so I rolled an alt that eventually became my main, I've watched the RP slowly dwindle and all but die over the years... Why that happened I don't know, but it could be people's attitude towards people who are new to it, and being overly picky towards who they interact with...
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-07-03 at 08:20 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    I'm honestly wondering what you define as a few days ago. The proper timeline has been around for almost two years now or did you never hear of the Ultimate Visual Guide before a few days ago?

Also, to topic at hand. I'm glad to be on the european servers from what I'm seeing here. We only have one big RP server here, that's Argent Dawn, whether noob or "pro", most of them gather there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    I'm honestly wondering what you define as a few days ago. The proper timeline has been around for almost two years now or did you never hear of the Ultimate Visual Guide before a few days ago?

Also, to topic at hand. I'm glad to be on the european servers from what I'm seeing here. We only have one big RP server here, that's Argent Dawn, whether noob or "pro", most of them gather there.
    The original time line was never taken into consideration to be canon because it underwent few retcons and adjustments. Now that it has been confirmed and stabilized, people are losing it a bit more vocally. Oh well, guess it is inevitable and we have to adapt.

I am on AD too! We should hook it together sometime.

Difficult in terms of lore? No. WoW has a lot of story to play with, and even with some of the glaring writing issues (*coughWoDcough*) you can still find a niche to develop an interesting character within.

Difficult in terms of accessibility and entrance? Absolutely. I've wanted to RP for years, but every time I've attempted to do so I've run into the issues of RP servers that have little-to-no RP going on, or groups that are utterly unfriendly to new people. It's hard to break in and become part of an RP group.