Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Brian Holinka once again not knowing about his own game

Far too often I will read a blue post, only to realize that they know LESS ABOUT THE GAME than the players do. Why is this acceptable? How does it even happen?

Latest offense was from Holinka:

Quote Originally Posted by Holinka
    Before the Diminishing Return (DR) system was introduced into WoW, "stunlocking" was a common phenomenon. DR prevented "stunlocking" but it feels crappy to use ability only to see "immune." DR categories were added so a class can use their different crowd control spells to full effect at least once but repeated application would not result in "stunlock."
    DRs were literally in the game from DAY ONE. They were, in fact, added long before the game came out. Before talents even existed. This man is the lead PVP designer and now only did he obviously NOT PLAY the game during its best era, he can't even be bothered to read up the history of the game, and yet he's a major developer of the game. Sad!

To be fair, the DR system was pretty dumb at the time and had some glaring holes that were never really patched up. Skillherald + Mace Specialization for example giving an RNG storm of short stuns that never DRed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

15+ Year Old Account
    the shared DRs we know today where not in the game in vanilla there were some DRs but not like they are now.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    the shared DRs we know today where not in the game in vanilla there were some DRs but not like they are now.
    Also this. Cheap Shot would DR itself if you used it then vanished to do it again, but a Cheap Shot + Kidney Shot combo was just zzzzzzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    now only did he obviously NOT PLAY the game during its best era
    Mists of pandaria?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    Far too often I will read a blue post, only to realize that they know LESS ABOUT THE GAME than the players do. Why is this acceptable? How does it even happen?

Latest offense was from Holinka:

DRs were literally in the game from DAY ONE. They were, in fact, added long before the game came out. Before talents even existed. This man is the lead PVP designer and now only did he obviously NOT PLAY the game during its best era, he can't even be bothered to read up the history of the game, and yet he's a major developer of the game. Sad!
    DR in the beginning basically did not exist. You could keep someone stunlocked / loss of control locked for minutes. He's obviously talking of the current system which actually impacts the game.

Once again, someone trying to call out Holinka for any random shit.

Move along, folks.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Also this. Cheap Shot would DR itself if you used it then vanished to do it again, but a Cheap Shot + Kidney Shot combo was just zzzzzzz.
    CS kidney into gouge gouge vanish back into CS wait 2 seconds after CS and kidney would be back up and you could keep something perma stunned adding in blind and other crap.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    To be fair, the DR system was pretty dumb at the time and had some glaring holes that were never really patched up. Skillherald + Mace Specialization for example giving an RNG storm of short stuns that never DRed.
    This is pretty clearly what he was talking about... DRs didn't exist in any way, shape, or form they do today. BY allowing so much stun locking, DRs essentially didn't exist.

Context? Ever heard of it? It was in context to the changes from WoD->Legion..

Seriously, some people will look anywhere so they can whine.

CS kidney into gouge gouge vanish back into CS wait 2 seconds after CS and kidney would be back up and you could keep something perma stunned adding in blind and other crap.
    don't forget u had to spec 2 talent points (or was it 3?) into improved-gouge, to make it last for 4.5sec =) so that you could re-stealth and re-open as many times as u desired. I remb my BF rog could rape a full t3 Prot War.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    don't forget u had to spec 2 talent points (or was it 3?) into improved-gouge, to make it last for 4.5sec =) so that you could re-stealth and re-open as many times as u desired. I remb my BF rog could rape a full t3 Prot War.
    Indeed... this was very frustrating for a long time. I remember that glorious moment when Prot Warriors were actually powerful in PVP (I think it was at the end of BC in the Wrath pre-patch?) and could stunlock things in return. I took much gleeful enjoyment out of killing as many rogues as possible!

he made a minor mistake, DR in its current form is much different to vanilla.

In vanilla, there were a metric shit ton of different CC categories. For example charge and kidney shot are both stuns, but they didn't DR each other, nor did cheap shot and kidney shot, nor did fear and sheep.

The things that DR'd each other were the same type of stun, i.e, you couldn't get full duration kidney shotted by 2 different rogues. What holinka is describing is the silliness that was being stunned for a good 10 seconds by a rogue, only to have him vanish and stun you again for another 10 seconds.

You're just being pedantic, not only that, but you're being pathetic. I'm so tired of how many pathetic nick names holinka has now. I can't even remember them all, b.hole is one I haven't see before, so I give you 'props' on being pathetic enough to invent a new one.

You need to get yourself together, you're losing your shit over a minor mistake that for all intents and purposes does not matter. Stunlocking existed in vanilla, I stunned people for 20-30 seconds straight on my rogue, and could CC them for minutes at a time if I used sap, blind and non class CCs like engineering and quest items.

and for whats its worth, DRs were introduced at the end of vanilla, after the insanity that was mages being able to sheep people for a solid minute, over and over forever.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2016-07-04 at 04:20 AM.

He's clearly referring to how DRs work today as opposed to Vanilla, which is obvious to anyone who isn't trying to read it overly literally just to spin their own crap. Your "point" sucks, doesn't hold any water and is nothing but worthless nitpicking for the sake of shitposting.

Yea back in the day when class/spec vs class/spec mattered and pvp wasnt boring as fuck. I dont see what the problem was. Every class /spec had its counters that it did well or bad against. It sure was alot more fun than it is now with who can chain as much cc and burst cds or whichever healer runs out of mana first. Apparently that is skill/fun/exciting nowadays.

so this is what happened to DR? i've noticed constantly being stunned in bgs on ptr, with almost no DR and it's crap. i'd much rather see "immune" pop up if someone has been stunned like hell, than be stunned in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaciouzd View Post
    Yea back in the day when class/spec vs class/spec mattered and pvp wasnt boring as fuck. I dont see what the problem was. Every class /spec had its counters that it did well or bad against. It sure was alot more fun than it is now with who can chain as much cc and burst cds or whichever healer runs out of mana first. Apparently that is skill/fun/exciting nowadays.
    The problem was a naked rogue could beat the things it countered. The problem was a naked shaman could beat a mage, etc.

There was no skill involved, it was rock paper scissors, and thats boring as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    The problem was a naked rogue could beat the things it countered. The problem was a naked shaman could beat a mage, etc.

There was no skill involved, it was rock paper scissors, and thats boring as fuck.
    That must be one terrible mage. It wasnt hard wanding away the grounding totem and press the IWIN-button.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Now its nice to find someone that can personally remember how dumb rogue was back then it was so much fun because you knew just how mad it made people if you could pull it all off correctly <3
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post

There was skill involved. Not anyone could crip kite. You act like any ape could do it, that wasn't the case.

Now its nice to find someone that can personally remember how dumb rogue was back then it was so much fun because you knew just how mad it made people if you could pull it all off correctly <3
    Oh ya 10 min duels vs full t3 Prot wars good old times <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Indeed... this was very frustrating for a long time. I remember that glorious moment when Prot Warriors were actually powerful in PVP (I think it was at the end of BC in the Wrath pre-patch?) and could stunlock things in return. I took much gleeful enjoyment out of killing as many rogues as possible!
    Well in Wrath Prot Pally (healer) was OP in s6? and Prot Pally (DPS) in s7 were OP, also Prot wars with full armor pen were OP in Wrath s7 if i am not mistaken.