Page 1 of 54
... LastLast
    Deleted

Brexit: Petition for second EU referendum rejected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36754376The government has rejected an online petition, signed by more than 4.1 million people, calling for a second EU referendum to be held.An email to those who signed the petition said the prime minister and government had "been clear that this was a once-in-a-generation vote".It said the decision "must be respected", and "we must now prepare for the process to exit the EU".The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in the referendum on 23 June.Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama said he believed the UK would quit the European Union despite speculation the vote for Brexit could somehow be reversed."I think we have to assume that a referendum having been passed with a lot of attention, a lengthy campaign and relatively high participation rates is going to stick," he told a news conference at the end of a Nato summit in Warsaw.Surge in signatoriesThe online petition gained more signatures than any other on the parliamentary website in the wake of the EU referendum result.It had been set up by William Oliver Healey ahead of the referendum and had been signed by 22 people at the time of the result.It states: "We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60%, based on a turnout of less than 75%, there should be another referendum."The referendum saw 17.4 million (51.9%) votes cast to leave the EU, compared with 16.1 million (48.1%) for remain, with a turnout of 72.2%, according to the Electoral Commission.In its official response to signatories, the Foreign Office said the law which had set the rules for the referendum did not specify minimum conditions on turnout or margin of victory.Debate to follow?It added that the referendum was "one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say".The email said the petition would be considered for a parliamentary debate by the Petitions Committee because it had received more than 100,000 signatures.The committee is made up of 11 cross-party MPs and "almost always" debates petitions that reach 100,000 signatures.It previously investigated the petition for fraud, removing 77,000 signatures which were found to be false.- - - Updated - - -wtf i cant even edit this post its a wall of text and it wont let me edit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36754376The government has rejected an online petition, signed by more than 4.1 million people, calling for a second EU referendum to be held.An email to those who signed the petition said the prime minister and government had "been clear that this was a once-in-a-generation vote".It said the decision "must be respected", and "we must now prepare for the process to exit the EU".The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in the referendum on 23 June.Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama said he believed the UK would quit the European Union despite speculation the vote for Brexit could somehow be reversed."I think we have to assume that a referendum having been passed with a lot of attention, a lengthy campaign and relatively high participation rates is going to stick," he told a news conference at the end of a Nato summit in Warsaw.Surge in signatoriesThe online petition gained more signatures than any other on the parliamentary website in the wake of the EU referendum result.It had been set up by William Oliver Healey ahead of the referendum and had been signed by 22 people at the time of the result.It states: "We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60%, based on a turnout of less than 75%, there should be another referendum."The referendum saw 17.4 million (51.9%) votes cast to leave the EU, compared with 16.1 million (48.1%) for remain, with a turnout of 72.2%, according to the Electoral Commission.In its official response to signatories, the Foreign Office said the law which had set the rules for the referendum did not specify minimum conditions on turnout or margin of victory.Debate to follow?It added that the referendum was "one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say".The email said the petition would be considered for a parliamentary debate by the Petitions Committee because it had received more than 100,000 signatures.The committee is made up of 11 cross-party MPs and "almost always" debates petitions that reach 100,000 signatures.It previously investigated the petition for fraud, removing 77,000 signatures which were found to be false.
    paragraphs make things more readable!

OT: i voted remain, but you cant just call a second vote and try to change the rules because your side lost imo, it was a fair vote, everyone had plenty of time to register and vote

So... it's declared a "once a generation thing" because... "reasons"?

Deleted
    sorry i couldnt edit it, i tried but i linked the article so you can read it more clearly there sorry for the wall of text i clicked edit and nothing happend

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    It's fine. Everyone remembers Alex Salmond and "Once in a generation" for the Scottish referendum.

What politicians say is meaningless. Just wait and see what they do instead.

Deleted
    Did people actually genuinely believe we'd get a 2nd referendum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Think many signed as a form of protest.

would've been worse if they allowed the second one. "Sorry! we missclicked, can we try again" is the general idea..

Deleted
    there obviously wouldn't be a 2nd referendum, but things will take so long to sort out in the EU and at home, it will be years until any progress is made, i doubt britain will ever end up truly leaving

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    It's fine. Everyone remembers Alex Salmond and "Once in a generation" for the Scottish referendum.

What politicians say is meaningless. Just wait and see what they do instead.
    your avatar picture looks scary, it reminds me of the exorcist with the twisty head situation xD

OT: yeah there'll no doubt be more referendums, only i hope the scots get theirs so they can realise how silly it is to further divide up our fair isles

Until teenagers and young tweenies learn that they should vote there is no reason to hold another referendum. The older people who actually vote will vote leave again.

fuck young brits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You need a material change in circumstances to justify a new referendum, just like in Scotland. For the Scots their independence referendum was a once in a generation thing unless there was a material change in circumstances.

Which has been provided by the Brexit vote.

Now, if remain voters want to change the outcome, they have only one path.

Vote for a party whose platform includes a new referendum on JOINING the EU...not stopping the departure. The UK is going to leave, that is pretty much inevitable so you'll have to get a government that wants to go back in AFTER the UK leaves.

If that party forms a government with a mandate to rejoin the EU, it will have to apply.

When it applies, it will do so as a candidate state without any of the perks the UK has managed to negotiate under it's current membership. This WILL include using the Euro currency.

So basically, vote for a pro-EU party and agree to join the Euro to get back in. That's the work of a generation in itself...

Deleted
    there was around 26000 votes or more that where rejected cos some people decided to draw a penis or something on it, remain could have won if people voted and didnt throw it away but im happy cos i voted leave

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cien View Post

OT: yeah there'll no doubt be more referendums, only i hope the scots get theirs so they can realise how silly it is to further divide up our fair isles
    'Our Fair isles' has been proven to be Greater England and what the rest want, they can sod off. The United Kingdom is now past it's sell by date. I sincerely hope the Scots help put it in the ground. Then Irish reunification can follow. Then the English can have what they seem to have always wanted, themselves alone....ok them and the Welsh but England and Wales are very close.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2016-07-10 at 01:38 PM.

Couldn't get myself to read the OP. But rejecting the request for a revote is proper.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    'Our Fair isles' has been proven to be Greater England and what the rest want, they can sod off. The United Kingdom is now past it's sell by date. I sincerely hope the Scots help put it in the ground. Then Irish reunification can follow. Then the English can have what they seem to have always wanted, themselves alone....ok them and the Welsh but England and Wales are very close.
    scotland wont survive without england all they rely on is oil, if they was an EU country sepreate fro mengland they wouldnt last long wtf are they gonna export

10+ Year Old Account
    Link is messed up in the OP..

Here's the functional one:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36754376
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    scotland wont survive without england all they rely on is oil, if they was an EU country sepreate fro mengland they wouldnt last long wtf are they gonna export
    You've admitted you voted leave. You are the last person who will be able to lecture the Scots on making political moves everyone else labels economic insanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still think something as far reaching as brexit should require a super majority but ah well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    You've admitted you voted leave. You are the last person who will be able to lecture the Scots on making political moves everyone else labels economic insanity.
    scotland had a referrendum not long ago to see if they would stay part of the UK even though there parliment knew an EU referendum was on the cards its there own fault