Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

"MoP initially had too many daily quests"

EDIT: sorry about the * in title I should not have left that there. If a mod could replace it with a space I'd appreciate it

Mod Note: Done {ML}

From the latest World Quests interview summary on the front page.

I will never understand this mentality. How can you have "too much" content, let alone see it as a problem? I don't believe that there are diminishing returns to releasing more content, especially at their current levels of content release. The problem with MoP wasn't that there were "too many daily quests". It was the rewards structure. And it is the same problem that will plague Legion (with Legendaries, Artifact Power, Titanforged, etc.)

I think that the devs being afraid of releasing too much content is the least of their problems right now. I just hope that this philosophy isn't widely accepted around the office and that they aren't rationing content like a drip in fear of releasing too much.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-07-15 at 06:52 AM.

It wasn't just that there were so many (it was pretty easy to hit the 25 per day limit, before they removed that), it was that you felt obligated to do them all, every day, for the faction gains. Which feeds into his other points about feeling punished for not logging in one day, and not seeing any rewards until 1-2 months down the line.

It wasn't that it was "too much content", it was too much content that you had to do that day otherwise you would fall behind a day because the next day it all reset. This was bad because all the valor epic gear was gated behind it so missing one day means you got epics 1 day later then you would've if you didn't miss that day.

Also they later mentioned there is going to be enough world quests up that the majority can't do in a single day, and if you don't log on the big quests will be waiting for you the next day so you can't "miss" a day, unlike the MoP dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    It wasn't just that there were so many (it was pretty easy to hit the 25 per day limit, before they removed that), it was that you felt obligated to do them all for the faction gains.
    Then they should just say that instead of making it sound like they believe that releasing that much content is a bad thing. Because it isn't.

It wasn't just that there were so many (it was pretty easy to hit the 25 per day limit, before they removed that), it was that you felt obligated to do them all, every day, for the faction gains. Which feeds into his other points about feeling punished for not logging in one day, and not seeing any rewards until 1-2 months down the line.
    The limit was removed in 5.0.4 which came out before the expansion was released

Not all factions gave you are reward i never felt forced to do them all and i did only the 3-4 faction i needed for gear and did after that the one for mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Not all factions gave you are reward i never felt forced to do them all and i did only the 3-4 faction i needed for gear and did after that the one for mounts.
    Yeah my main I did them all my other chars just what I needed for that char

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    They were the best source of valor in the beginning till they buffed the valor you got from dungeons.

Many people felt they had to do all the dailies at once and unlock everything as fast as possible. Spreading out items that are more or less required for raiding on so many factions was a mistake. World of Dailycraft burnt out a lot of people for the first tier of Pandaria.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    They were the best source of valor in the beginning till they buffed the valor you got from dungeons.
    As raider you were running enough dungeons for this stupid epic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Then they should just say that instead of making it sound like they believe that releasing that much content is a bad thing. Because it isn't.
    The problem was, it wasn't a lot of content- it was a relatively small number of quests repeated every other day. You just had to do a small amount of content over and over. That's the distinction they're making with World Quests- they're a far greater variety in actual quests available.

The thing is, even though the context isn't 100% direct the statement is still correct. There were too many daily quests that were nearly all tied to faction-based content that felt mandatory.

The worst thing was that all the others were gated behind the Golden Lotus rep at first.

There weren't too many dailies.

People just have zero self-control. So they got butthurt when it took long to do all 25 dailies every day even when it wasn't designed to be how it works for everybody.

The butthurt turned into basically a meme and Blizzard believed it.

tl;dr: Crying children ruined something that was really good. And the biggest culprits were hardcore raiders. What a shock, you had to play more than the average person to be doing the best of the best out of all players in the game.

The ONLY problem was gating the August Celestials behind the Golden Lotus.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-07-15 at 04:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: sorry about the * in title I should not have left that there.

From the latest World Quests interview summary on the front page.

I will never understand this mentality. How can you have "too much" content, let alone see it as a problem? I don't believe that there are diminishing returns to releasing more content, especially at their current levels of content release. More content is always welcome.

I think that the devs being afraid of releasing too much content is the least of their problems right now. I just hope that this philosophy isn't widely accepted around the office and that they aren't rationing content like a drip in fear of releasing too much.
    People bitched that there were too many dailies and not enough time.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Literally the only issue with MoP dailies was locking August Celestials behind Golden Lotus, when August Celestials for a lot of people was the only rep that mattered.

All they had to do was not lock reps behind reps again, and everything would've been gravy.

Instead they take a chainsaw to the problem and remove dailies completely.

Cool solution, Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think the only real problem with the MoP launch dailies were the fact that they were:
    a) gated; and
    b) semi-mandatory for serious progression-focused players due to rewards.

As actual content they were fine, it was nice having stuff to do that didn't make me want to shoot myself. Unlike WoD's contextless bar-filling.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I actually didn't mind them, I seem to do them most of the time when I logged in. I just wasn't a fan of the gating and for me personally it just felt like there were to many factions to early on.

10+ Year Old Account
    They said it because it's a topic that has largely been hashed to death for years. There's no real reason for them to need to explain it further.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    People bitched that there were too many dailies and not enough time.
    Sadly the bulk of it came from altohalics on the Official forums that did have time. They just leveled a bunch of alts during the content lull and expected to play all their alts just as they did prior.