Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ‘Stranger Things’ announces when it will end

“Stranger Things” — one of Netflix’s biggest franchises and most popular series — will conclude in season 5, the company announced on Thursday.

“Seven years ago, we planned out the complete story arc for ‘Stranger Things.’ At the time, we predicted the story would last four to five seasons,” the Duffer Brothers, creators of the twisty science fiction series, wrote in a letter to fans. “It proved too large to tell in four but — as you’ll see for yourselves — we are now hurtling toward our finale.”

The news comes as Netflix announced that the next season of the series (season 4) will debut in two parts this summer. The first part will premiere on the service on May 27 and the second part will hit on July 1.

The end of “Stranger Things” will be a big loss for Netflix, which is trying to make more of its series and films into franchises as it attempts to fend off rivals like Disney+. Many of Netflix’s competitors feature numerous familiar brands that get subscribers to sign up.

Although losing “Stranger Things” is no small thing for Netflix, the adventures into the upside-down are unlikely to completely end, according to its creators.

“There are still many more exciting stories to tell within the world of ‘Stranger Things;’ new mysteries, new adventures, new unexpected heroes,” the Duffer brothers said. “But first we hope you stay with us as we finish this tale.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    ‘Stranger Things’ announces when it will end

“Stranger Things” — one of Netflix’s biggest franchises and most popular series — will conclude in season 5, the company announced on Thursday.

“Seven years ago, we planned out the complete story arc for ‘Stranger Things.’ At the time, we predicted the story would last four to five seasons,” the Duffer Brothers, creators of the twisty science fiction series, wrote in a letter to fans. “It proved too large to tell in four but — as you’ll see for yourselves — we are now hurtling toward our finale.”

The news comes as Netflix announced that the next season of the series (season 4) will debut in two parts this summer. The first part will premiere on the service on May 27 and the second part will hit on July 1.

The end of “Stranger Things” will be a big loss for Netflix, which is trying to make more of its series and films into franchises as it attempts to fend off rivals like Disney+. Many of Netflix’s competitors feature numerous familiar brands that get subscribers to sign up.

Although losing “Stranger Things” is no small thing for Netflix, the adventures into the upside-down are unlikely to completely end, according to its creators.

“There are still many more exciting stories to tell within the world of ‘Stranger Things;’ new mysteries, new adventures, new unexpected heroes,” the Duffer brothers said. “But first we hope you stay with us as we finish this tale.”
    Honestly glad that they set themselves an ending, though we will see if seasons 4 and 5 can prove themselves to be good. Too often I feel series are taken past their date of expiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

5+ Year Old Account
    lol this is a store

gimme upside down cheerios!
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-02-19 at 12:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the final trailer before it starts on May 27th.

• Max as the new main PoV character could be a huge improvement over Mike or Will.
    • The UPside Down having it's version of the Night King .... feels like Fonzie jumping a pool with a shark.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2022-04-12 at 07:12 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the trailer and it looks real cool. Baffles me that some people don't like this show.

Just watch this series and it was pretty awesome.

5+ Year Old Account
    Stranger Things 4 | The First 8 Minutes | Netflix

Stranger Things
    May 20, 2022

What have you done? With one week to go, watch the first 8 minutes of ST4. And mark your calendars for our episode split announcement ⬇️

ST4 Vol. 1. Seven Episodes. May 27th.
    ST4 Vol. 2. Two Episodes. July 1st.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Stranger Things’ Season 4 Finale Will Be Over 2 Hours Long.

https://www.thewrap.com/stranger-thi...ver-two-hours/
    Drew Taylor | May 18, 2022 @ 7:00 AM

“Stranger Things” Season 4 is the longest season of the hit Netflix series yet. But we didn’t know how long … until now.

It had already been revealed that this season would consist of nine episodes instead of the usual eight and that the season would be split up into two “volumes” – the first volume coming out on May 27 and the second volume out on July 1. It was also known that the episodes would be considerably longer than previous seasons; instead of the usual 45-minute to an hour runtime, these episodes would run more than an hour each.

When TheWrap chatted with the Duffer Brothers, the creators of the show who also directed five episodes this season (!), we asked if they knew that “Stranger Things 4” would be this gargantuan.

“No,” Matt Duffer said, explaining that their line producer came to them and said that it would be double what Season 3 was in terms of scope and scale. “I just said ‘No, I don’t think so.’”

“A lot of it had to do with the fact that we had characters spread out in three locations and we had a lot more plot. It must be quadruple the plot we had in Season 3,” Matt Duffer continued. “That was our fun blockbuster season. This season we knew that Season 5 was going to be our last, we had to start revealing a lot.”

“Stranger Things 4” does indeed take place over a handful of locations, with the story following Will (Noah Schnapp), Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) and Jonathan (Charlie Heaton) as they adjust to their new life in a sunny, “E.T.”-ish California suburb; the rest of the Hawkins gang as they deal with a new, Freddy Kruger-style villain from the Upside Down; and Hopper (David Harbour) in captivity in a Russian prison.

“The more we were writing, the more we realized we need more time in order for these reveals to land, in order for these storylines to work,” Matt Duffer explained. “Partway through we knew we needed to ask Netflix for nine episodes instead of eight and as we started shooting we realized, Oh these are mega-long episodes.”

While we are forbidden from revealing plot details from Season 4, it seems safe to say that these new episodes are basically feature-length. Each time you sit down to watch “Stranger Things,” you’ll actually be getting a little movie.

“Seven and nine in particular are movies,” Matt Duffer said. “And nine is a long movie.”

When we asked how long, Ross Duffer said (impishly, we might add): “We’re still refining it but we will say that it is over two hours. It’s a big one.”

Considering the wait between “Stranger Things” Season 3 and Season 4 was nearly three years, at the very least these super-sized episodes will give fans extra time to savor the new stories before the show returns for its fifth (and final) season.

The last 2 episodes are 1.5 hours and 2.5 hours in length or so its being reported.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Damn, thats movielength episodes

The way Memorial Day weekend is overprogrammed this year is INSANE.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The way Memorial Day weekend is overprogrammed this year is INSANE.
    What are u looking forward to next week?? me its this show stranger things, kenobi, that dino documentary with david attenborough..I can't think of anything else but then I don't watch most shows, so I have no idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    What are u looking forward to next week?? me its this show stranger things, kenobi, that dino documentary with david attenborough..I can't think of anything else but then I don't watch most shows, so I have no idea..
    Uh, vacation. I been super busy this past month and haven't had a lot of relaxation time except in the evening. I will try to see Top Gun: Maverick on Thursday before heading out of town. Bob's Burger's maybe Saturday/Sunday morning with the kids.

I'll catch Obi-Wan and Stranger Things when I am back from vacation.

Incredible tracking on this one. The 8-minute clip really shot this back up and Netflix is dominating all demo tracking on this one going into the weekend. Impressive!

5+ Year Old Account
    Stranger Things 4 | Volume 1 Final Trailer | Netflix

Stranger Things
    May 23, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Incredible tracking on this one. The 8-minute clip really shot this back up and Netflix is dominating all demo tracking on this one going into the weekend. Impressive!
    Well, that is good, hopefully they also clean house n get rid of all the crazies, but I won't sub ever again unless they give me back my dark crystal show..n they need to stop raising the prices..

Seems there is a season 5 coming, I thought this was the final season, nope, hopefully they make movies after..

https://collider.com/stranger-things...ript-comments/
    “We had all the scripts before we started shooting, so we could look at the whole thing as a whole. And we outlined all of five. So it really is four and five or like of a piece, and this was due to the six-month hiatus that we had due to the pandemic. So we don't typically have as much time. It usually feels like the train is going down the tracks and Ross and I and our writers are just throwing down track as we're going, once we're halfway through the season. And for the first time ever, we were able to look at it globally, not just season four, but season five as well.”
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-05-23 at 05:24 PM.

Well, that is good, hopefully they also clean house n get rid of all the crazies, but I won't sub ever again unless they give me back my dark crystal show..n they need to stop raising the prices..
    They will probably not bother with Dark Crystal. That show had lousy demos.

5+ Year Old Account
    Stranger Things Spoilers
    @SThingsSpoilers
    SIX Days until #StrangerThings4 returns!

Here’s how long each episode lasts:

EPISODE 1: 1hr 16min
    EPISODE 2: 1hr 15min
    EPISODE 3: 1hr 3min
    EPISODE 4: 1hr 17 min
    EPISODE 5: 1hr 14min
    EPISODE 6: 1hr 13min
    EPISODE 7: 1hr 38min
    EPISODE 8: 1hr 25th
    EPISODE 9: ~2hr 30min

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Stranger Things Spoilers
    @SThingsSpoilers
    SIX Days until #StrangerThings4 returns!

Here’s how long each episode lasts:

EPISODE 1: 1hr 16min
    EPISODE 2: 1hr 15min
    EPISODE 3: 1hr 3min
    EPISODE 4: 1hr 17 min
    EPISODE 5: 1hr 14min
    EPISODE 6: 1hr 13min
    EPISODE 7: 1hr 38min
    EPISODE 8: 1hr 25th
    EPISODE 9: ~2hr 30min
    So about 85 minutes an episode, which means depsite being only 9 episodes if this were an "hour long" show on cable that would 18 episodes or so. Definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with more time.

Season 3 was definitely a bounce back season for me after how meh s2 was. Loved the mini-mall.

I hope season 4 can deliver on this Russia stuff, but tbh I'm not really into the whole government conspiracy about exploiting the upside down for Cold War bullshit angle.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Season 3 was definitely a bounce back season for me after how meh s2 was. Loved the mini-mall.

I hope season 4 can deliver on this Russia stuff, but tbh I'm not really into the whole government conspiracy about exploiting the upside down for Cold War bullshit angle.
    I get not "being into" the trope; it certainly has been "done ad nauseam".

However, I'd also find it really weird if this wasn't addressed - in some form or fashion - as part of the plot. You're talking about a show created (in part at least) about a specific time period and a specific 'cultural feel' during that time period (80s/Speilberg/etc). So to me - to not have some part of the plot be about "government wants to turn alien into weapon" and "Cold War US V. Russia" dynamics to some extent, is just not being true to what its spent 3 seasons paying homage too.

The Cold War IS the "big worldwide threat" of the time period the show is set in, and the cultural reality of that time period, as well as the 'tropes' being 'honored' (if you want to put it that way) in the show. Government conspiracies to take aliens/tech/etc. and use it as weapons for themselves is a plot device as old as Science Fiction (and Horror) itself. Trope indeed, its one of the foundations of scifi entertainment. (aliens and government conspiracies in general I mean)

So bullshit angle or not - it not only makes sense from a 'show plot' standpoint, but it would be difficult (IMO) to do THIS particular show and NOT at least have it as a side-plot issue. Because of how prevalent the "Cold War Threats trope" were (are?) in movies/tv shows throughout the entire decade. And certainly a trope Spielberg enjoyed making money on. =D

I'm not saying it should prop up the show or that the writing, of course, won't make or break the plot regardless of trope (any trope, not just this one). But if they left it out ENTIRELY and never even touched on it - that wouldn't make sense to me, at all, either. It would be like denying a level of reality in the show's world that, to me, would be 4th wall breaking. Esp. after 3 seasons where the US government's own conspiracy with all of it was a factor (major or minor) in the plot. Of course, Russia's going to to have its own program with the same 'goal.'

So while its not my favorite plot device either, I accept that its also something I expect the show to get into. I just hope I enjoy their version. Same hope for any new media entertainment - as none of these 'plots' are new anyway. Its all "tropes" told in different ways.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.