Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I understand and agree with all your points...but it expands the show from its tight, terrorized small-town focus to something global and geo-political, and I'm concerned a show like Stranger Things won't occupy that space well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The way Memorial Day weekend is overprogrammed this year is INSANE.
    And The Boys is June 6th just when you've recovered.

The character of "Eleven" is growing. She isn't going to fit in small town USA for much longer.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I understand and agree with all your points...but it expands the show from its tight, terrorized small-town focus to something global and geo-political, and I'm concerned a show like Stranger Things won't occupy that space well.
    I also agree with THOSE points *nods* - and share your concern. I hope we are both (at least) pleasantly surprised =D. But we'll know in a few days!

Well, I never manage to watch things as they are released and I don't allow myself to binge watch - so you'll know probably weeks before I do. No spoilers . (I tease, I know its on me if I open the thread after launch and read spoilers).

As much as I enjoy this show (and others) - I too get into this internal paradox of reasoning. "I want more show - but obviously its only going to go to Plot Point A or B because that's the only places that are left to go - and I don't know how much fun THAT will be. But I don't want no more show because I love show...." Grrr.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

So just binged watched Episode 1-7 of Season 4 ("Volume 1") and even though it's not based on books it feels like this season is the downward period of GoT 6+7+8 in terms of writing for the show and by that I mean typical "Hollywood" writing for spectacle or reveal payoffs.

In my opinion it moved way more into the horror field than a mystery sci-fi, while the final episode of this volume answers some questions about the experiements & upside down the reveals which were supposed to be suprising just end up being seen a mile off and this is where the poor Hollywood writing I mention comes in, aiming to surprise the audience but completely missing the mark.

It's enjoyable albeit longwinded but hopefully the last two episodes redeem what for me has been a very average season losing along the way some of its charm and nostalgia.
    Last edited by AidanJLowe; 2022-05-28 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanJLowe View Post
    In my opinion it moved way more into the horror field than a mystery sci-fi
    Uhm, I hate to break it to you but it's been a horror show since day one. Netflix and Google both has had it labeled as such its entire run. It just has elements from sci-fi, comedy, drama, and adventure shows mixed in, but at its heart it is and always has been a horror show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Uhm, I hate to break it to you but it's been a horror show since day one. Netflix and Google both has had it labeled as such its entire run. It just has elements from sci-fi, comedy, drama, and adventure shows mixed in, but at its heart it is and always has been a horror show.
    This 100%. They even use a Stephen-King-esque font.

I was pretty happy to hear Dance with the Dead on this season's soundtrack :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me a while to figure out that "Enzo" Antonov is Jacen Hqhar from GoT

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Right?

When we first saw him, I was like "I know that face..." And when I heard him speak more than a few words, I was like "I know that voice..."

Took another episode before I finally put it together.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    yeah same here. was a pleasant surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure Mike, Will, Jonathan and Argyle will make it back to Hawkins for the last two episodes but I'm not overly fond of their story so far. Feels too disconnected from the rest and a bit wasted. Same with Joyce and Hopper, it's taking too long for them to get back with only two episodes left and it being the final season.

Still it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm excited for next week
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Pretty sure they pitched a season 5 during the pandemic and Netflix agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, announced in Feb. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...spoilers-date/
    Oh, then I am misinformed I thought I read somewhere it was the final season or maybe for some characters it was then.. not sure.

But thanks! Good news
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

This 100%. They even use a Stephen-King-esque font.
    I've never thought it was anything but horror. Especially that font - that's classic 80's move titles-style font.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Over all I enjoyed the first 7 episodes, most of the new characters I quite like (the actor for Eddie killed it), returning cast did well. I liked character design/story of Vecna, Pauel Reiser/Dr Sam Owens even while playing a smaller part has been quite enjoyable, and Steve getting some hero moments felt really nice. Didn't think I would but also quite enjoyed how they did Max this season.

That being said there were a few things I didn't care for, namely didn't care for Argyle, I didn't like the arc they did for Lucas, and some of the Eleven youth CGI was creepy looking. I kinda felt the s4 started like season 3 where the start/first 2 episodes were a bit slow for my taste. Also I believe they are trying to make Will gay, and while that doesn't bug me, I don't like the way they are making him pine for Mike, why can't people just be friends Hollywood, they have this issue with females and males so often don't need it the other ways either. Johnathan was pretty bleh to me the first 4 episodes as well.

In the middle seeing Hopper again was nice, but on the other hand I felt he had a great end to his arc in season 3, need to sit for a while/see the finales to tell if I am okay with his return.

Predictions: I think they are setting up someone to die, and my gut says it will be Mike. They have hammered home that Eleven gets her strength from fear/anger/strong emotions and I think they will use Mike's death to give her the strength to defeat Vecna, also takes care of the whole Will pining for him. Could also see Steve dying to, think they are making him and Nancy grow close to pull the rug from under our feet. This will all be a setup for season 5 where El tries to use the fact the upside down is apparently stuck 5 years in the past to try and reset time to before all the people in Hawkins died. 50-50 they have her live in the new Hawkins free of the upside down or they have her die to give everyone else a happily ever after.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-05-29 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Until she discovers that her love for others is more powerful than those emotions and using that to access her power makes her godlike.
    I would agree but the whole upside down being 5 years earlier/when El first opened the gate makes me strongly believe they are going to have core characters die/Mike die so Eleven can spend season 5 trying to go back in time to save him/everyone else. Still can be love that makes her godlike, but will be for love lost, double points for Mike dropping I love you to her as he dies
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mike, Will, Jonathan and Argyle will make it back to Hawkins for the last two episodes but I'm not overly fond of their story so far. Feels too disconnected from the rest and a bit wasted. Same with Joyce and Hopper, it's taking too long for them to get back with only two episodes left and it being the final season.

Still it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm excited for next week
    There are 2 episodes but their combined runtime is just under 4 hours. That’s a lot of time for stuff to happen.

Im about half way through right now, and one of my biggest WTF moments, Not a Oh my god" moment more like "Seriously thats dumb...

Was with Hopper, how he fell off the railing and they just left him there? Did noone think to walk onto the cat walk and look over the railing "Oh there he is Guys"
    Just nope ehs totally 100% dead no chance he fell over the railing no point in checking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Pretty solid part 1 for S4. Twists that were seen coming a mile away, others that weren't so obvious. Curious to see what they'll do with the last 2 episodes, especially given the length of episode 9.

Then the wait for S5 will be a killer lol
    I just hope we wont have to w8 for 3 years to get s5

I had a blast watching season 4 of Stranger Things.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?