Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I'm using two Samsung 850 Evo 512GB SSDs in my PC and a WD MyCloud NAS Drive for storage space. It's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Yeah I went right from the 300gb Velociraptor (which was in my late 2010 first gen Core i7 930c) to the OCZ Vertex 3 like 18 months later?

I don't even know what possessed me to get that Velociraptor. I know it was the "hot gamer thing" back in 2010 but wasn't it like $250 for 300gb?
    That's very odd as I had the same exact set up an i7-930 with the raptor and went to a samsung 500g evo in my next build.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    That's very odd as I had the same exact set up an i7-930 with the raptor and went to a samsung 500g evo in my next build.
    I mean back then with the first generation Core i series (Nahalem) 4 cores = i7 (except for a one i5 I think). Performance on the first generation Core i5s wasn't great, so a lot of people got i7s after upgrading from Core 2 Duos. With the second generation (Sandybridge) of Core is, i5s went 4 cores/4 threads while i7 went (mostly) 4 core /8 thread which is generally where it remains, so people stopped getting the i7s and started buying i5s then (and the price points moved around to match).

The Core i7 9XXs were very popular.

Combined with that, Velocirpators were the hot thing back then too for a year or something, when SSDs were 64gb and $400. Still in retrospect a 10000 RPM 300gb HDD for $250 is a stupid way to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I mean back then with the first generation Core i series (Nahalem) 4 cores = i7 (except for a one i5 I think). Performance on the first generation Core i5s wasn't great, so a lot of people got i7s after upgrading from Core 2 Duos. With the second generation (Sandybridge) of Core is, i5s went 4 cores/4 threads while i7 went (mostly) 4 core /8 thread which is generally where it remains, so people stopped getting the i7s and started buying i5s then (and the price points moved around to match).

The Core i7 9XXs were very popular.

Combined with that, Velocirpators were the hot thing back then too for a year or something, when SSDs were 64gb and $400. Still in retrospect a 10000 RPM 300gb HDD for $250 is a stupid way to spend money.
    I agree but for me it wasn't so much the money but the 10k vs 7200. Gotta load in first so I can jump around longer. That and SSD's like you mentioned were just ridiculously overpriced. I would recommend the Samsung Evo 500g it's priced pretty competitively right now. Haven't looked to much into the 1tb's. I just did 2 builds last week, 1 i7 6700k and one i5 6600k I installed the Evos on both. 980 ti's are dropping in price fast as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Expensive as shit. Had 120GB one before SSD even were on the market.
    my 150GB Raptor is still sitting in my display case.

After putting the 2 120gb SSDs and the WD Black in my old computer, the old Velociraptor has been permently retired to my spare parts bin.

I want to give it a viking funeral or something. That said, I did some background research on what people think of Velociraptors years later... and they weren't charitable.

And by the way, using Macrium Reflect allowed moving the mostly unfilled 300gb Raptor to the 120gb Vertex 3 SSD a breeze. I'll do that next time I update my C:\ SSD in my main computer.