Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Thank you for helping me out beyond the assembly =D

The ethernet plug took a while to get working in the first place. After bios update and driver installation it came to life, but only with direct connection. I connect (cable) my router to a hub which then distributes to the other machines (via cable again; printers, office PC etc..). Only if I take a cable and connect PC and router directly do I get any signal. If I connect the PC to the hub. . nothing. Since I have virtually no knowledge of networks other than plugging things together, I have no idea how do deal with that issue.

Deleted
    Network issues: weird for the hub / comp to behave that way, so the following is mostly guesswork. I'd try connecting to the hub again, but this time trying all other ports as well, with the other machines connected / disconnected, to check if some ports are malfunctioning. It could be as simple as that. Then check the router's dhcp settings, whether the address range is restricted somehow to a very low amount (not likely), then perhaps try with a fixed IP address on your new machine instead of obtaining one automatically.