Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    In world PvP (including duels) there's no PvP balance. Which means tanks do their full damage (which is close to a DPS), while also being significantly tougher. Warriors especially are very hard to kill with Ignore Pain, while doing respectable damage.

Of course, things are different once you step into an Arena or Battleground.
    Is there a tanky class you'd recommend for both wPvP and BGs?

Quote Originally Posted by Krogg View Post
    Is there a tanky class you'd recommend for both wPvP and BGs?
    are u talking about DPS or Tank spec?

In my personal experience you need get a pally if you after Wpvp + BGs and want to be tanky:

IF tank, go Prot Pally, it is good and viable in tier 1 comps for Arena/RBGs (atm Prot Pally is higher rated than multi R1 Rets like Vanguards/Avengerline) in arena. For casual pvp you refereed to, Prot Pally is very good: good mobility, good self healing, decent dmg in pvp instances + higher dmg in world pvp.

IF dps spec you after that is very very tanky, i would go Ret, Ret can 1v1 any melee, only good mages/hunters give Ret hard time because their can kite and Ret has a crap mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    are u talking about DPS or Tank spec?

In my personal experience you need get a pally if you after Wpvp + BGs and want to be tanky:

IF tank, go Prot Pally, it is good and viable in tier 1 comps for Arena/RBGs (atm Prot Pally is higher rated than multi R1 Rets like Vanguards/Avengerline) in arena. For casual pvp you refereed to, Prot Pally is very good: good mobility, good self healing, decent dmg in pvp instances + higher dmg in world pvp.

IF dps spec you after that is very very tanky, i would go Ret, Ret can 1v1 any melee, only good mages/hunters give Ret hard time because their can kite and Ret has a crap mobility.

Thank you for the feedback! What makes prot pally's mobility better than ret?

Quote Originally Posted by Krogg View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! What makes prot pally's mobility better than ret?
    the CD on the "Holly Pony" is shorter for Prot than for Ret, also you can spec as Prot so that when you use the Holly Pony you are immune to snare (which is huge, since for Ret you need to stack freedom + Holly Pony to chase ppl if u are snared) also Prot's Holly Pony knocks ppl back when you run into them =))) and you take less dmg while that cd is active. Also Prot has instant heal that heals for 43% of missing health on a very short cd 15-12 seconds or so (do not remb the exact number)

Wars are good too, but prot pally has that amazing mobility so you can do a lot of fun things like knocking ppl of the hill in the AB: lumber mill =) as well as good self healing for urself + ur teamates.

However, be warned my answer is highly biased towards Palladin class since i main ret for 9 years XD so take my advise with grain of salt

Deleted
    Melee for 1v1: Rogue all 3 specs, WW monk
    Caster for 1v1: Moonkin (maybe not any more after travel form nerf), Frost/Fire Mage, Affliction/Demo Warlock.
    Healer for 1v1: Discipline priest. There is no class in the world who can kill a Discipline Priest. The only healer who can heal and do very nice dmg. While other healers can only keep themselves alive in 1v1, Discipline can kill as well

10+ Year Old Account
    How are assa Rogues strong?

With Garrote, Rupture, Hemorhage, Stun-bleed and Deadly poison, along with regular attacks, I don't get any class even below 50% hp before they kill me :S

Deleted
    1v1 Ret, Feral, rogues, locks, DH, WW.

If you wanna be a complete asshole then roll prot pally, DH tank or blood DK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    How are assa Rogues strong?

With Garrote, Rupture, Hemorhage, Stun-bleed and Deadly poison, along with regular attacks, I don't get any class even below 50% hp before they kill me :S
    Because assassination can easily be kited and you have to be fast. But i agree that Sub and Outlaw can both perform better 1v1 in a casual hands.

Or roll Disco Priest, if you really do care only about duels.

Don't see any mention of BM hunters in the 1 on 1 category. Why not? Can kite most classes fairly easily, have significant single target burst, especially at <30%, and with separation anxiety you can't pillar hump them.

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    1v1 Ret, Feral, rogues, locks, DH, WW.

i thought they nerfed the hell out of tanks in pvp?

Deleted
    Disc priest is the best 1v1 class, dmg and heals...

10+ Year Old Account
    I was crit for 1.4M damage by a Rogue's Run Through ability the other day. Fun times going from 100% to dead before Cheap Shot stun wears off.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Yest as i was doing wquest FFA pvp area, i jumped feral/rogue on my alt DH popped meta, killed both under 10 sec. After Feral rezzed he jumped me, and i died in a opener's stun (trinket was down), moral of the story: in wpvp many classes can be good 1v1 or 1v2 cuz the balance is out of wack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bonewax View Post
    i thought they nerfed the hell out of tanks in pvp?
    Even with the nerf Tanks dont have any problem soloing dps classes. They just cant fight 5 people at the same time anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    Even with the nerf Tanks dont have any problem soloing dps classes. They just cant fight 5 people at the same time anymore.
    Dep on a dps class to be honest, in wpvp/duels i believe tanks still very strong, but in PvP instances, for my Ret it is not an issue to solo any tank, because i run JV (healing from special attack that deals a crap load of dmg if person is stunned).

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Healer for 1v1: Discipline priest. There is no class in the world who can kill a Discipline Priest. The only healer who can heal and do very nice dmg. While other healers can only keep themselves alive in 1v1, Discipline can kill as well
    At least in arenas most of the better dueling classes will smash a disc priest. Takes forever sure, but most classes can heal/run forever till they oneshot them in deep dampening.

In that regard theres a giant difference in templated pvp and outside pvp, in the world you have a clusterfuck with gear, consumeables, professions and so on and on and on. Most tank specs will do super well there. And sometimes theres is los, sometimes there isnt (hello hunters that kite max range and only let the pet do damage). This makes certain classes very different, ww monks for example are almost unkillable in arenas in a 1v1 if they just focus on running - in the open they are kinda screwed. Other classes like dks or ferals make heavy usage of pillars to survive and are otherwise easy(ish) targets.

And then you have dampening, depending on the style of the duel this can really affect the entire thing. It makes anyone relying on heals weak. And it allows people to kill blood dks or other healheavy specs by just waiting forever. What classes do well have pretty much been mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Don't see any mention of BM hunters in the 1 on 1 category. Why not? Can kite most classes fairly easily, have significant single target burst, especially at <30%, and with separation anxiety you can't pillar hump them.
    Cause the classes they cant kite eat them for lunch and they have to little selfsustain to outlast tanky opponents.

I'd say Rogue > Monk > anything else

Rogue / Mage. Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Rogue / Mage. Since 2005
    this, but ret pally is pretty hilarious in random BGs due to wrath of god

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Rogue / Mage. Since 2005
    Only at very highest skill lvl, cuz anything below is not that great vs hybrids these days. There are videos when Venruki 1v2 mage/rogue on his WW, personally i manage to do the same on my Ret few times at lower cr 2s, but i did use Holy Wrath...so its almost equals to cheating XD