Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Conservatives do their own version of "virtue signalling" when it comes to these things.

"Look at us...we're such good Christians"
    No shit. That's my point. It's a battle that's almost entirely about showing how righteous everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    You literally just commented on what was pointed out to be hypocritical. Do you just not know the definitions of words being used in any of these threads? Would you like me to assist you and quote it? I would be more than glad to if you would like.
    You really just want my attention don't you? You quoted this already, I responded. I go to sleep and you quote it again lol.

I don't think you know the words you're using or waht they mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    We agree on this.

This I do not agree on. I don't think many people care at all about the law, I think they care about beating those evil other guys.
    Spectral outside of the whole bathroom laws, the state essentially said no portion of the state can have anti discrmination laws protecting gays. A month after those laws were passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Spectral outside of the whole bathroom laws, the state essentially said no portion of the state can have anti discrmination laws protecting gays. A month after those laws were passed.
    Yes, and this is the important point here. Based on the new state law, if restaurant owners, hotels, whatever, want to deny service to someone because they're gay, they can.... they can't deny service based on natural gender, they can't deny service based on skin color or faith, but the North Carolina law specifically says they can discriminate based on sexual orientation. (I doubt it could survive a federal or supreme court challenge, but that's beside the point).

I have no problem with what the NBA's doing. People always say that if you don't support what someone is doing, you take your money elsewhere or you vote for someone else. This is no different, it's just on a bit larger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Yes, and this is the important point here. Based on the new state law, if restaurant owners, hotels, whatever, want to deny service to someone because they're gay, they can.... they can't deny service based on natural gender, they can't deny service based on skin color or faith, but the North Carolina law specifically says they can discriminate based on sexual orientation. (I doubt it could survive a federal or supreme court challenge, but that's beside the point).

I have no problem with what the NBA's doing. People always say that if you don't support what someone is doing, you take your money elsewhere or you vote for someone else. This is no different, it's just on a bit larger scale.
    The argument others haveis always "well leave" "you don't have to have your business here"

At least that's what I usually see when we're talking about gay individuals not liking bigoted businesses, but when a business movies because it doesn't like bigotted states, oh nooooo how dare they move! It's wrong and they're just crying.

I mean "free market" argument and all dissapears.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I believe that the vast majority of people that are "upset" are feigning their level of upset because it's socially popular in their circles.
    Are you talking about the people objecting to the NBA's decision? The kind of people who use words like "leftist" to signal that they read media that gives them the "correct" opinions on social-justice issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Are you talking about the people objecting to the NBA's decision? The kind of people who use words like "leftist" to signal that they read media that gives them the "correct" opinions on social-justice issues?
    Yes, I'm referring to people that are upset on both sides. I don't believe very many people in either direction are affected in any material way by this. Both sides use this as an opportunity to show how morally virtuous they are.

I'm not sure what your objection to "leftist" is. The term "leftist" seems a more accurate description of people that are campaigning here than "liberal".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I think that it's hard to plausibly argue that this policy is anywhere near impactful enough to justify the stink over it on the merits of the matter.

Deleted
    I wonder what the true reason is.

Most likely money related in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    Sorry if I would not be particularly happy to hear my daughter was being forced to share a shower with a boy with junk between his legs just because the boy decided he feels like a girl today ... I would wouldn't be happy if my son was forced to share a shower with a girl who decides shes a boy today ... you will never change my mind about this so what ever.
    Funny, they probably already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Why are they the best athletes?
    Highest paid athletes. Highest endorsements as well bar a few soccer players.

Best talent goes to the NBA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    More NFL players in the top 20 than NBA players. http://www.forbes.com/athletes/#94669306e349
    LeBron, Steph, KD, Kobe...those are the top athletes in the U.S. not some NFL player who we can't even recognize since he's wearing a helmet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lebron, KD, Cam, Phil, Spieth, then Kobe. In the next 10 there are 5 more QBs, a golfer, a boxer and 0 NBA players.
    Exactly. Who are the better athletes? The NBA players who those in the other leagues?
    Obviously the NBA players..

10+ Year Old Account
    Your supposition was that NBA players are the highest paid in the US... that's not true from the evidence I provided. Care to refute that point instead of trying to argue which athletes are the best(a difficult conversation on the best of days)?
    The NBA's new tv deal just kicked in. Middling players are getting 100 million deals. So your evidence is really outdated. Just wait for this year's figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I wonder what the true reason is.

Most likely money related in one way or another.
    Branding. That's really all it is.

Now a company moving headquarters or operations or somesuch -- that often has to do with talent availability and the desire to have a diverse workforce (which has been proven to improve a company's overall performance)

- - - Updated - - -

The article I linked was 2016's highest paid athletes in the world... how is that outdated?
    I just want to chime in to say you are arguing two different things -- who has the best athletes and who has the highest paid athletes. These are likely not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Highest paid athletes. Highest endorsements as well bar a few soccer players.

Best talent goes to the NBA.
    Highest pay means best athletes? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    People mad when someone with a lot of money influences laws doing exactly what they despise. Nothing new here. Same hypocritical people on the left trying to do things they despise.
    Do you at least see the difference in reacting to laws that have been passed and using your influence to get laws passed that benefit you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    LeBron, Steph, KD, Kobe...those are the top athletes in the U.S. not some NFL player who we can't even recognize since he's wearing a helmet.
    Lets be honest the best all around "pure" athletes are the Olympic gymnasts, just no one can name them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Do you at least see the difference in reacting to laws that have been passed and using your influence to get laws passed that benefit you?

- - - Updated - - -

Lets be honest the best all around "pure" athletes are the Olympic gymnasts, just no one can name them
    Really? Olympic gymnasts are more athletic than LeBron James? Yeah right.

gymnasts aren't even the best pure athletes in the olympics (decathlon says hello)

but really, 'best' is a really subjective measure in this context. Best at what?

Remember a few years back when the SJWs went on a race flaming mouth foaming outrage over the Timberwolves not having enough Black people on the team?

They had 7 Black players on a roster of 15 and that wasn't good enough haha.

Hilarious to see a sports league that has less than 2% Latino and less than 1% Asian makeup accusing anybody of being intolerant.

I think the NBA should get with the times and adopt some affirmative action practices.

Oh and how come women cant be in the NBA?

How come they have to be segregated?

Pfff ...play the fkin game and leave the social bullshit out of it.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

They have the right to do that, and I have the right to not care. Because it's just freaking basketball, and there are about a million different things that are more entertaining to watch. It's funny though, that people get so butthurt over a state that simply doesn't want grown men in the same changing rooms as little girls.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    They have the right to do that, and I have the right to not care. Because it's just freaking basketball, and there are about a million different things that are more entertaining to watch. It's funny though, that people get so butthurt over a state that simply doesn't want grown men in the same changing rooms as little girls.
    Were there grown men in little girls changing rooms before this law was enacted? I don't get how a law aimed at trans people, is supposed to help target none trans people, who are already covered by law. In case you didn't know, peeping toms are illegal already, before this law.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi