Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ey-Lord View Post
    (the guy who built my machine put my proc at 4.2 /1.35v ; I'm currently reading about it but it seems 4.4 for the same voltage seems fine considering I dont want to take any risks and the performance gain is really low)
    1.35V for 4.2? That's way overkill on the voltage. Oo
    You should be able to reach that with 1.25/1.3 max. (1.2V is stock if I remember correctly)

I OC'd my Ivy to 4.2 while maintaining the stock voltage. (Albeit I fixed it, so BIOS wasn't allowed to lower it during idle time)

Thx everyone:

For the M.2 SSD, I thought about it, it seems nice but what I paid was already more than what I planned to so I had to let the idea of a 500go SSD M2 go ... this is something that can easyli be changed down the road tought.

For the power supply, considering I do not plan to use SLI at all and I will likely do some very "soft" overcloacking since I'm not familliar with it. (the guy who built my machine put my proc at 4.2 /1.35v ; I'm currently reading about it but it seems 4.4 for the same voltage seems fine considering I dont want to take any risks and the performance gain is really low)

Considering seagate / WD : I talked to many different vendors and each one had a different opinion...so I went with seagate, we will see As mentioned in the thread this a storage drive for mostly films / series since I "consume" lots of them.

Regarding the cooling system, I do not know much about them so I trusted the shop... maybe I should'nt have ^^ Considering I will not OC muchk, the 240M should do the trick thought.

On the win 10 topic, I wasnt aware of significant difference between home/pro. I think I've alway had a "home" win edition and did not notice anything that bothered me too much. I paid it because I tried to upgrade my cracked windows 7 at home and failed and figured that 100 euros was an ok price to pay to not have to bother with that for 5+ years

I'm a bit relieved that you guys did not found something too horrible about the purchase overall ^^
    Uhm... what?

The I7-6700k boosts to 4.2 GHz if needed (which means every time the load exceeds 5% or so) on stock, why would he not only force the CPU to keep the 4.2 but also increase the Voltage to such high levels? It looks to me that he just wants to heat up the CPU for shits and giggles. I wouldn't trust him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    1.35V for 4.2? That's way overkill on the voltage. Oo
    You should be able to reach that with 1.25/1.3 max.

I OC'd my Ivy to 4.2 while maintaining the stock voltage. (Albeit I fixed it, so BIOS wasn't allowed to lower it during idle time)
    he shouldn't have to change the voltage at all for those speeds o.0

you've got your Ivy Bridge to 4.2 on stock voltage? that's a nice chip you've got there
    Last edited by Karon; 2016-07-24 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    you've got your Ivy Bridge to 4.2 on stock voltage? that's a nice chip you've got there
    Yup, had it running for a few years like that but it got unstable a while back, so I run it at stock speeds now.

I guess I could increase it's voltage to force the OC but to be honest, the difference was so marginal that I don't see the benefit of the excess heat. Esp considering that I get 28°C room temps in the summer and that Ivy is pretty bitchy when you increase voltages on air. Even with a NH-D14. ^^

total Wattage drawn by the system: 401W
    Impossible. A 980ti + 6700k and 2 dimms of 8GB DDR4 all at STOCK SPEEDS with literally nothing else considered (USB devices, Fans, Drives, Water Pump, etc. etc.) runs around 407W full load.

Any power supply calculator will tell you that you're lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemyhlol View Post
    Impossible.
    Not necessarily.
    Though they are different systems, look at these power consumption figures:

Plenty of headroom to the 400 mark, esp on those Pascal setups.
    http://techreport.com/review/30413/n...rd-reviewed/11

But I do have experience with semiconductors and feel sorry for the chip.
    There is damage you are doing that is not reflected in temperature.

Even if your temps don't exceed 60°C, you are damaging it and short it's lifetime with aggressive voltages like that.
    IIRC as per Intel the max voltage for the 6700k is 1.5v and the recommended sustained max is 1.45v so I'm pretty sure, given adequate cooling, 1.4v won't have a meaningful impact on the CPU's useful lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neufab View Post
    IIRC as per Intel the max voltage for the 6700k is 1.5v and the recommended sustained max is 1.45v so I'm pretty sure, given adequate cooling, 1.4v won't have a meaningful impact on the CPU's useful lifetime.
    Testing methodology and subsequent results factor in a predesigned product lifetime.

Yes you can run it at 1.4V. But for how long? Intel releases a new generation every year. So, lets assume they test with double that timeframe, 2 years.
    If you assess current CPU advances, any decent chip should be good for 6-8 years. That's essentially what I meant.

Ofc as Karon mentioned: this is a moot point for Enthusiasts that migrate to each new generation of hardware b/c upgrading is their addiction. ^^

Impossible. A 980ti + 6700k and 2 dimms of 8GB DDR4 all at STOCK SPEEDS with literally nothing else considered (USB devices, Fans, Drives, Water Pump, etc. etc.) runs around 407W full load.

Your power supply "calculator" (which just checks the max power draw a card could have and adds them together) vs my actual READINGS from Corsair Link directly from the PSU and READINGS with power meters.

btw I don't use 2 dimms of 8GB DDR4, I use 4.

the guy who built my machine put my proc at 4.2 /1.35v
    I may have misread or w/e ;o) I'll double check i got the computer. But since I'll OC to 4.4 i think, 1.35 seems reasonable. I'm still reading about OC so, what I am saying comes with little knowledge so far.

Not at all. According to my PSU I pull less than 380W from the wall under full load with an overclocked 6700k/1080 setup.

Testing methodology and subsequent results factor in a predesigned product lifetime.

Yes you can run it at 1.4V. But for how long? Intel releases a new generation every year. So, lets assume they test with double that timeframe, 2 years.
    If you assess current CPU advances, any decent chip should be good for 6-8 years. That's essentially what I meant.

Ofc as Karon mentioned: this is a moot point for Enthusiasts that migrate to each new generation of hardware b/c upgrading is their addiction. ^^
    I'M NOT ADDICTED!!!!!!! >
    ...just slightly obsessed

but on a serious note, in real life environments such high voltages do cut into the lifetime of a CPU, but how much are we actually talking? I mean, if my current CPU starts to get unstable at those clocks in two years (so 3 years since building, while I only recently upped the OC to 4.8) and from the on runs another 3 years on stock before getting unstable I still get a net worth of 6 years of CPU which I could easily underclock for a few more years without having any performance issues (I would migrate the CPU into my sisters PC which she uses for The Sims 4 at most)

So basically yes, It's a non-issue for addic... slightly obsessed people like me, while others probably wouldn't have any gain from such an Overclock anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still works:

Gave it an up from the 1.15V to 1.2V because I didn't want to derp around right now.

I may have misread or w/e ;o) I'll double check i got the computer. But since I'll OC to 4.4 i think, 1.35 seems reasonable. I'm still reading about OC so, what I am saying comes with little knowledge so far.
    4.4 is a +200MHz Overclock if you start counting from Boostclock, so either you can drop the Voltage way under the 1.3V threshold or you've had some serious bad luck in the silicon lottery =(

10+ Year Old Account
    If you operate at that voltage w/o watercooling, be sure to closely monitor the temperatures for a while!

It's going to run for a lot longer than 2 years when used within its official specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    but on a serious note, in real life environments such high voltages do cut into the lifetime of a CPU, but how much are we actually talking?
    Sadly, only Intel has that kind of data and I doubt they will ever make it public.
    You're right ofc. Downclocking/going back to stoick is always an option.

Just for shits and giggles: my poor processor is pushing 80°C under prime 95 right now. Way to high a temperature for comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neufab View Post
    It's going to run for a lot longer than 2 years when used within its official specs.
    The maximum the hardware can withstand != official specs. That would be the stock clocks.
    They clock at these speeds / voltages for a reason.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-07-24 at 11:49 AM.

If you operate at that voltage w/o watercooling, be sure to closely monitor the temperatures for a while!
    I got a watercooling on the cpu, so this kind of reasonable OC should be alrigth.

4.4 is a +200MHz Overclock if you start counting from Boostclock, so either you can drop the Voltage way under the 1.3V threshold or you've had some serious bad luck in the silicon lottery =(
    After reading a few more articles, you seem right, a 1.3v should do the trick, i'll have to monitor temperature / stability

980ti consumes more power THAN 1080 GTX...

10+ Year Old Account
    For what you're paying I'd go with a X99 and 6800K instead. The speakers are also not really that good and I have my doubts about the monitor, but since you most likely chose it for the 165Hz refresh rate I can see where it came from.

I'd also swap the AIO for an Dark Rock 3, R1 Ultimate or NH-D15 but that's personal preference.

Hello, I just bought a new computer ... wanted to check with you guys before but I bought it kinda impulsively. I did some research before and the vendor seemed to know its subject so this should not be too horrible ;o)

If there is something really bad in there, i MAY be able to change it since they deliver my computer in 2-3 days from today (but it has been built already). All advices are more than welcome !

I payed around 3200 euro. The only difference between the part picker i setup here is that my SSD is a 750evo not a 850. [it adds to to about 3K$ with the price of the card and the case ... not too bad considering I bought everything at the same place and it got built and a 2y warranty]

Budget : 3200 euros
    Resolution: 2K
    Game/settings : All kind of game includig demanding one, at 80+ fps in max settings
    Other software used: nothing fancy, no. But I needed a screen with a good vison angle since I use it to watch movies with my GF (hence the 279q).
    part to reuse: no
    peripheral : speakers

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
    Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor ($749.00 @ B&H)
    Speakers: Razer Leviathan 60W 2.1ch Speakers ($195.99 @ Other World Computing)
    Total: $2069.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 05:52 EDT-0400

What do you think ?
    Honestly you had NO usable parts from your current PC aside from mouse/keyboard?
    Aside from that, considering my 12 years in the storage business (Enterprise data center stuff) I personally avoid Seagate at all costs, WD/Hitachi and possibly Toshiba for spinning disc drives.