Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Personal Loot, new way of tunneling loot to mains?

Hello there,

With the new changes to Personal Loot and it being able to be tradeable within the raid group, doesn't that open op a new oppertunity for guild groups to tunnel more gear into the main with this new system?

With you being able to pick a loot specialization for Tank, Healer and DPS depending on your class and with split runs being more common than before, you could for example, let 15 alts pick healer specialization (Or Tank/dps) to have more chances to get those trinkets. In theory, you would have a bigger chance to get the trinkets you desire.

Would this be more beneficial compared to master loot, if your within a trusted group? Or is master looter still the way to go.

You can't trade items that are higher ilvl from what you currently have, so there goes that theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    it would only be beneficial if PL dropped more loot than ML, otherwise it would just be ML with extra steps and still boil down to RNG in either situation.

though you might be on to something with trying to force loot for a specific role.

What personal loot will do is make it beneficial to bring many characters of the same (or loot-compatible) classes, so they can trade their personal loot among them.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

ML split runs will still be preferred since it's the most effective way to ensure the proper gear is funneled to the proper players. You could make an argument for having multiple versions of the same class and just choosing whichever one gets the most gear with PL, but I think the old fashioned ML split run methodology will win out, especially for progression minded guilds.

Maybe if you had a bunch of high item level players of all the same armor class. Like a raid full of druids and they all set their drops to say resto to gear up a single resto druid or all to guardian to gear up a bear because you can perfectly match up class > role > spec on the table. Not to say you have to have it absolutely perfect but if they were plate, mail, or cloth in that situation you migth get some cross over with rings, necks, and trinkets (if they can same role as you) but the armor is off the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auviance View Post
    Would this be more beneficial compared to master loot, if your within a trusted group? Or is master looter still the way to go.
    Eventually. But the character has to have seen that slot drop at that item level in order to trade it. So the first drop won't be able to be funneled. The second drop of that slot at the item level can be funneled but you might not be ahead of guild master loot at that point. It could have a benefit if a certain boss only drops one or two items for your specialization. But if they have larger shared loot pools or something then you'll have a lot of slots to draw from.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Under Master Looter, can bosses drop loot no one in the raid can use? I can't remember whether it was fixed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Under Master Looter, can bosses drop loot no one in the raid can use? I can't remember whether it was fixed or not.
    They can. It's just random items from the table. No real way to "fix" it apart from personal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    it would only be beneficial if PL dropped more loot than ML, otherwise it would just be ML with extra steps and still boil down to RNG in either situation.

though you might be on to something with trying to force loot for a specific role.
    Personal has, on average, been dropping more loot then ML since the buffs to it in 6.2, generally ~30% more. I think blizzard has put in fail-safe protection, so you can no longer get little-no loot from a kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Auviance View Post
    Hello there,

With the new changes to Personal Loot and it being able to be tradeable within the raid group, doesn't that open op a new oppertunity for guild groups to tunnel more gear into the main with this new system?

With you being able to pick a loot specialization for Tank, Healer and DPS depending on your class and with split runs being more common than before, you could for example, let 15 alts pick healer specialization (Or Tank/dps) to have more chances to get those trinkets. In theory, you would have a bigger chance to get the trinkets you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What personal loot will do is make it beneficial to bring many characters of the same (or loot-compatible) classes, so they can trade their personal loot among them.
    You can't trade items that are higher ilvl than what you have on and you can't trade items that you've never gotten before. So it'll be 4-6 (16-24 resets) months before this would be widely beneficial in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, but u can join with main and tunnel loot to alts or soon-to-be-Mains, or sell loot to pugs
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    You can't trade items that are higher ilvl from what you currently have, so there goes that theory.
    Why is everybody ignoring this? You would need alts with higher ilvl than the mains you're gearing up...

No, but there doesn't need to be a new way of doing it lol?
    Master Looter isn't gone for progression, just pugs.

The situation you brought up about them all picking healer is interesting but I doubt you have 15 classes that can all pick healer so its not really something to consider. Would be nice if that sort of thing happened, but I think you have the same chance at seeing that piece drop on Master Looter.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    You can't trade items that are higher ilvl than what you have on and you can't trade items that you've never gotten before. So it'll be 4-6 (16-24 resets) months before this would be widely beneficial in my opinion.
    That second part isn't true, its only based on Ilvl if its equal or lower then what your highest in that slot even if its not equipped its tradable doesn't matter if you've never gotten the item before. I got a trinket on the beta from eye of azshara that ive never seen before but it was lower then my current trinkets so I gave it to my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan4893 View Post
    That second part isn't true, its only based on Ilvl if its equal or lower then what your highest in that slot even if its not equipped its tradable doesn't matter if you've never gotten the item before. I got a trinket on the beta from eye of azshara that ive never seen before but it was lower then my current trinkets so I gave it to my friend.
    It appears you are correct. Thanks for forcing me to look it up

Originally Posted by Watcher
    In Legion, we've made more major improvements to Personal Loot, most importantly including the ability to trade any item that isn't a strict Item Level upgrade to other people who participated in the kill. So if you have (or have ever gotten, post-7.0, even if you no longer have it) an ilvl 720 trinket, any trinket drop you see that's 720 or lower can be traded to others in your raid group. And you still get the benefits of "smart" loot (e.g. never seeing a shield drop if you don't have a shield-user in your raid).

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Personal has, on average, been dropping more loot then ML since the buffs to it in 6.2, generally ~30% more. I think blizzard has put in fail-safe protection, so you can no longer get little-no loot from a kill.
    Do you have a source for the ~30% figure? If it's really 30% more total items dropping, it's almost certain that just running Personal Loot and having some kind of distribution system in place for stuff that people get and want to trade will end up being superior to running Master Loot. 30% more total gear more than likely outweighs any gains of funneling stuff to specific OP specs, etc. The only exception would probably be for guilds doing split runs. That's also 30% more weapons, 30% more trinkets, and 30% more tier - and it offsets any negative impact of having too many classes on X token or X weapon type, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Do you have a source for the ~30% figure? If it's really 30% more total items dropping, it's almost certain that just running Personal Loot and having some kind of distribution system in place for stuff that people get and want to trade will end up being superior to running Master Loot. 30% more total gear more than likely outweighs any gains of funneling stuff to specific OP specs, etc. The only exception would probably be for guilds doing split runs. That's also 30% more weapons, 30% more trinkets, and 30% more tier - and it offsets any negative impact of having too many classes on X token or X weapon type, etc.
    It was a blue post a long while back saying that they intended for Personal loot to give a certain %age more loot on average then ML. I think it was 30%, but not too sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

It was a blue post a long while back saying that they intended for Personal loot to give a certain %age more loot on average then ML. I think it was 30%, but not too sure.
    I'll remain skeptical until some proof is shown. "I think it was" isn't really source or proof.

Deleted
    You also can't trade bonus rolls' loot apparently. It seems the new system is not the best for a guild group. Though going personal loot for a guild group would not be a disaster this time around and may depend on the tuning they might do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I'll remain skeptical until some proof is shown. "I think it was" isn't really source or proof.
    Yeah give us that blue post that said that.