10+ Year Old Account

Republican Election 2016 - Donald Trump Megathread [OFFICIAL]

Now that both parties have settled on official candidates, we're going to try and keep discussion to just two megathreads; American election threads are currently 1/4 of GenOT, which is drowning out other subjects.

This thread has been designated for discussion of the Republican candidate, Donald Trump, and his policy platform and so forth. We have another thread here for discussion the Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton.

A few things before we kick off;

1> Flaming other users, no matter how much you disagree, is not okay. If you're that angry, just take a breather.

2> There's a difference between "valid criticism" and "political bashing". And the latter is against site rules. These threads are not excuses to be abusive to each other. Everyone has to play nice. "I disagree with X because of Y and Z" is criticism. "All Y are idiots and want to destroy the world" is bashing. It's not all that subtle a difference.

3> Please try and keep the discussion separated. You can reference the other party/candidate for comparison's sake, but actual discussion of the other platform or candidate should be in their respective thread.

4> The discussion is about the elections; if you want to talk about other candidates who failed to make the grade and such, that's fine, as long as we maintain the separation by party. The candidates are listed because it's expected they'll be primary focuses, and because it makes for easier searching and such.

Links up front is probably a good idea:
    His campaign site:
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

Donald Trump on Politifact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Mike Pence on Politifact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mike-pence/

Republican Party Platform (will be updated later this summer):
    https://www.gop.com/platform/
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-07-27 at 03:10 PM.

Links up front is probably a good idea:
    His campaign site:
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

Donald Trump on Politifact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Mike Pence on Politifact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mike-pence/

Republican Party Platform (will be updated later this summer):
    https://www.gop.com/platform/

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose that summary works.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Republican platform and desperate reliance on the Southern Strategy in combination with mass voter disenfranchisement of US citizens and gerrymandering efforts speak for themselves.

Good luck to everyone in the US. We're going to need it.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Wow, we finally have a megathread? What sorcery is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I suppose that summary works.
    This woman is disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfover87 View Post
    Elaborate??
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to attack her for simply speaking the truth.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Well this is off to a great start

If I was an American I'd vote for Trump. I just want to watch the world burn.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I've heard this from a lot of Trump "supporters."

It's quite telling.

I'm just glad you're not a US citizen. Some of us actually care about our country.

7+ Year Old Account
    So we have the political world buzzing about the Russian security services hacking and Putin attempting to influence the election. Folks on both sides of the aisle are extremely concerned about their actions. And what does Trump do? Openly invite Russia to more hacking.

Donald Trump Encourages Russia to Find Hillary Clinton’s Missing Emails

DORAL, Fla. — Donald J. Trump said Wednesday that he hoped Russia had hacked Hillary Clinton’s email, essentially encouraging a foreign power’s cyberspying of a secretary of state’s correspondence.

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said, staring directly into the cameras. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Mr. Trump’s call was an extraordinary moment at a time when Russia is being accused of meddling in the U.S. presidential election. His comments came amid questions about the hacking of the Democratic National Committee’s computer servers, which researchers have concluded was likely the work of two Russian intelligence agencies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/us...ails.html?_r=0

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps Trump should have made sure his VP candidate was on the same page as he is on the Russian Hacks.

Pence: If Russia Hacked DNC, They Must Face Consequences

Republican vice-presidential nominee Mike Pence released a statement Wednesday during Donald Trump's press conference, claiming that Russia would face "serious consequences" if they are behind the hacking of the DNC's emails. "The FBI will get to the bottom of who is behind the hacking," he wrote. "If it is Russia and they are interfering in our elections, I can assure you both parties and the United States government will ensure there are serious consequences." The Indiana governor’s statement came just as his running-mate Trump called upon Russia to hack Hillary Clinton's "missing" emails. "I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” the GOP nominee said. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps Trump should have also talked to the GOP folks as well.

Paul Ryan Spox: Putin Is 'Thug' Who Should 'Stay Out Of This Election'

The top spokesperson for House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) had strong words in response to Donald Trump's call for Russian hackers to "find" and release the deleted emails from Hillary Clinton's private server.

"Russia is a global menace led by a devious thug," Ryan spokesman Brendan Buck told The Guardian. "Putin should stay out of this election."

In a Wednesday press conference, Trump responded to allegations that the Russian government hacked into the Democratic National Committee's emails to influence the election by saying that he hopes that Clinton's "lost" emails have fallen into Russian hands. "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you can find the 33,000 emails that are missing," he said. He then urged their release.

His running mate Mike Pence had a comparatively measured response to the allegations, promising "serious consequences" in the event of Russian interference in the 2016 race.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ussia-dnc-hack
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    So Mr. Trump stood up for an hour and lied. Event went to invite Russia to hack a server with potentially sensitive information. And he threw our allies under the bus. Trump is unfit to be the chair of a city council.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like we won't be seeing Trump's taxes, which we all really knew. The question of course is whats the real reason why he won't.

Aide: Trump 'will not be releasing' taxes

A top aide to Donald Trump said Wednesday that the Republican presidential nominee "will not be releasing" his taxes.

"Mr. Trump has said that his taxes are under audit and he will not be releasing them," Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort told "CBS This Morning."

"It has nothing to do with Russia, it has nothing to do with any country other than the United States and his normal tax auditing process," Manafort added.

Trump has pushed back in recent months on calls from Democrats and some Republicans, namely former GOP nominee Mitt Romney, to release his tax returns.

Conservative columnist George Will this week argued Trump doesn't want to release his taxes because they show "he is deeply involved in dealing with Russia oligarchs."

"So to be clear, Mr. Trump has no financial relationships with any Russian oligarchs?" CBS's Norah O'Donnell asked Manafort.

"That’s what he said, that’s what I said," Manafort responded. "That’s obviously what our position is."

Hillary Clinton's campaign has gone after Trump's comments on Russian President Vladimir Putin this week in the wake of a hack on the Democratic National Committe. Emails pilfered in the hack, which were provided to Wikileaks, revealed Democratic infighting on the eve of the party's national convention.

Democratic officials have linked the cyberattack to Russian actors, claiming they want to influence the U.S. election given the timing of the release.

Out of all the reasons to vote for Trump that's actually the only one that's honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesnt sit well with me at all. There are far too many sub topics regarding Trump and Clinton that deserve their own thread as its hard to follow 30 different topics in the same thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you but at least there are only 7 people who watch her shitty show

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    There's no reason to attack her for simply speaking the truth.
    But she is NOT telling the truth. She said Paul Ryan was a hypocrite for saying that the democrats make it a habit of being divisive to Americans, because the GOP wants to build a wall dividing the US and Mexico. The last I checked Mexico wasnt a part of America nor are their resident citizens of the US. The democrats are dividing Americans, and the GOP are keeping non Americans out so the Americans can live together

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    So we have the political world buzzing about the Russian security services hacking and Putin attempting to influence the election. Folks on both sides of the aisle are extremely concerned about their actions. And what does Trump do? Openly invite Russia to more hacking.
    He did NOT invite them to do more hacking. He simply asked them to turn over the 33,000 emails they already got from Crooked Hillary's mail server (if they did hack it), that Hillary deleted and then wiped (with a cloth of course) the server so nobody could see them before handing the server over to the FBI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This doesnt sit well with me at all. There are far too many sub topics regarding Trump and Clinton that deserve their own thread as its hard to follow 30 different topics in the same thread.
    We have two options; a megathread where everything gets tossed together, or GenOT's front page being flooded with 30 different topic threads, and GenOT becomes the American Election subforum.

Since it isn't that, this is the lesser of two evils. We honestly probably should have done this sooner, but we wanted to wait until the candidates were set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Looks like we won't be seeing Trump's taxes, which we all really knew. The question of course is whats the real reason why he won't.

Aide: Trump 'will not be releasing' taxes

A top aide to Donald Trump said Wednesday that the Republican presidential nominee "will not be releasing" his taxes.

"Mr. Trump has said that his taxes are under audit and he will not be releasing them," Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort told "CBS This Morning."

"It has nothing to do with Russia, it has nothing to do with any country other than the United States and his normal tax auditing process," Manafort added.

Trump has pushed back in recent months on calls from Democrats and some Republicans, namely former GOP nominee Mitt Romney, to release his tax returns.

Conservative columnist George Will this week argued Trump doesn't want to release his taxes because they show "he is deeply involved in dealing with Russia oligarchs."

"So to be clear, Mr. Trump has no financial relationships with any Russian oligarchs?" CBS's Norah O'Donnell asked Manafort.

"That’s what he said, that’s what I said," Manafort responded. "That’s obviously what our position is."

Hillary Clinton's campaign has gone after Trump's comments on Russian President Vladimir Putin this week in the wake of a hack on the Democratic National Committe. Emails pilfered in the hack, which were provided to Wikileaks, revealed Democratic infighting on the eve of the party's national convention.

Democratic officials have linked the cyberattack to Russian actors, claiming they want to influence the U.S. election given the timing of the release.
    Why is it important for everyone to see his taxes? Why is always the Republicans that are supposed to do it? Where is Crooked Hillary's tax returns? Where are the Clinton Foundation's returns? Last time everyone wanted 25 years worth of Romney's returns but Obama was never asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    We have two options; a megathread where everything gets tossed together, or GenOT's front page being flooded with 30 different topic threads, and GenOT becomes the American Election subforum.

Since it isn't that, this is the lesser of two evils. We honestly probably should have done this sooner, but we wanted to wait until the candidates were set.
    @Endus Why cant we just have a sub forum under Off Topic Forums?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    He did NOT invite them to do more hacking. He simply asked them to turn over the 33,000 emails they already got from Crooked Hillary's mail server (if they did hack it), that Hillary deleted and then wiped (with a cloth of course) the server so nobody could see them before handing the server over to the FBI
    “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said, staring directly into the cameras. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Did you not read the OP's post about slandering?