Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

new pc + ultrawide monitor

With Legion around the corner I am looking to upgrade by 6 year old pc that started to show its age a while ago, looking for some help to get all the stuff i need.

Budget
    around €1250 for the pc and €800 for the monitor. somewhat flexible. i'm not entirely convinced 1250 is enough if i need a 1070.

Resolution
    3440*1440 + 1920*1200
    double 1920*1200 if i do not get the monitor

Games / Settings Desired
    My main game is WoW, i play 4x/strategy games like civilization and the like as well, and occasionally games like skyrim/witcher/dark souls.

I wish to do mythic raids at 60 fps, i understand it will drop lower then that on the pull which is fine. I prefer ultra settings ofcourse but i don't mind turning intensive effects like shadows down a bit.
    Preferably i don't want turns to take a minute to process late game in civ but i don't know how realistic that is.
    I would like to play darksouls3/witcher3/etc at high settings but since they aren't where i spend most of my time i am willing to compromise for these.

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    typical use for me is WoW/civ on one monitor and twitch/youtube/video on the other.

Country
    Netherlands

Parts that can be reused
    i could re-use my current 6 year old psu and cooler but i imagine that they have some wear and tear by now.

Do you need an OS?
    no

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    I am interested in a 3440*1440 display. it must have a vesa75/100 mount and be max 10kg without the stand. I was thinking a Dell Ultrasharp U3415W or Samsung S34E790C but honestly i would like some advice on what is a good buy here. Opinions on whether it is worth it in general are welcome too, i have been going back and forth on it.

So far I plan on getting:
    -i5-6600k
    -a z170 motherboard in the €100-150 range, but i haven't looked into differences between brands yet
    -a cpu cooler, not sure what pricerange is appropiate.
    -16gb ram
    -a 250 or 500gb samsung 850 ssd
    -a corsair rm550x or evga supernova 550w.
    -fractal design define S, but opinions on similar cases are welcome. i dont need a window or fancy leds. primary drawback on the define S for me is the bottom dust filter can't be accessed from the front.
    -i imagine i will need a gtx1070 with the 34" monitor, but if a 1060 or rx480 will do then thats great.
    -probably a hdd for extra storage untill/if i get the nas.

I don't expect to upgrade the cpu for ~6 years, what kind of overclock can i do with this in mind?

Any advice is appreciated
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-07-28 at 04:38 PM.

If you dont care about a window just buy the cheapest quality parts you can find. For a cooler nothing comes close to the cryorig h5 ultimate for its price, i prefer corsair cables over the evga flat ones, consider the phanteks P400 case its very similar to features to the define s for a lot less money. A 1060 will handle most games at that res just fine, would need to know what games you play most.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If you dont care about a window just buy the cheapest quality parts you can find. For a cooler nothing comes close to the cryorig h5 ultimate for its price, i prefer corsair cables over the evga flat ones, consider the phanteks P400 case its very similar to features to the define s for a lot less money. A 1060 will handle most games at that res just fine, would need to know what games you play most.
    the p400s is very close in price, the p400 is a bit cheaper. hard to judge sound dampening material though, some people say it's just marketing some say it actually helps a bit.

For games it's mostly wow, a bit of civilization esque games, and occasionally something like darksouls3/witcher3.

Witcher 3 wouldnt be able to do ultra at that res, but gotta ask yourself if the 1070 is worth another ~200 bucks lol.

You might want to look into this build I did for another use from NL. If the price is good for you (it's around 1300 EUR without OS and KB, we can also save some on the motherboard) then it's very close to optimal. I'm no expert on these types of monitors, unfortunately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You might want to look into this build I did for another use from NL. If the price is good for you (it's around 1300 EUR without OS and KB, we can also save some on the motherboard) then it's very close to optimal. I'm no expert on these types of monitors, unfortunately.
    Is there a particular reason you went with the Palit or is it just because it's one of the cheapest ones around? Never heard of the brand before.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Is there a particular reason you went with the Palit or is it just because it's one of the cheapest ones around? Never heard of the brand before.
    i've heard good things about palit

out of curiosity, what is your current system?

It's a long time going brand focusing on cheaper cards. Apparently they have a pretty good Pascal card designs and it's cheap, so it's a good choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i've heard good things about palit

out of curiosity, what is your current system?
    i5 750
    msi p55-gd65
    coolermaster hyper tx3
    4gb ddr3 ram 1333mhz i think
    club3d hd5870
    corsair hx650w
    antec 302
    samsung 830 128gb
    1tb harddrive of some variety
    dell ultrasharp u24something
    samsung syncmaster 24something

it can totally run dark souls 3 at like 5 fps!

- - - Updated - - -
    @Thunderball can you talk abit about why you choose the z170-a? the z170 pro gamer is the same price and the z170 pro reasonably close and they all have very similar specs, what makes the z170-a stand out?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-07-29 at 09:47 AM.

@Thunderball can you talk abit about why you choose the z170-a? the z170 pro gamer is the same price and the z170 pro reasonably close and they all have very similar specs, what makes the z170-a stand out?
    Better CPU power design, fan control, 2 more SATA ports, PCI port. Simply put Z170-A is an enthusiast board, Pro Gaming is a gaming board. With your needs I would go with Z170-A anyday.

Deleted
    so on the monitor front, it basically comes down to IPS vs VA panels.

From what i read:

-IPS has better colors, but VA has better blacks to make the colors look better, which is especially nice in video content.
    -some people say VA has a viewing angle problem, but others say its fine.
    -IPS is more likely to have significant backlight bleeding.
    -Dell has superb warranty and customer service, Samsungs has one of the worst.

anyone any experience with VA in particular?

10+ Year Old Account
    so on the monitor front, it basically comes down to IPS vs VA panels.

From what i read:

-IPS has better colors, but VA has better blacks to make the colors look better, which is especially nice in video content.
    -some people say VA has a viewing angle problem, but others say its fine.
    -IPS is more likely to have significant backlight bleeding.
    -Dell has superb warranty and customer service, Samsungs has one of the worst.

anyone any experience with VA in particular?
    There's no perfect LCD panel.

LCD by itself comes with a lot of problems by default. It has bad contrast ratio due to the fact that you have a big source of light in the back (or sides, or bottom, whatever) and then a bunch of color filters that make the sub-pixels. It also suffers from bad viewing angles (the light isn't coming from the pixels) and horrible motion resolution due to the fact that LCD is sample-and-hold.

Now, we've gotten some variations of LCD panels through the years that tried to fix, or at least alleviate, some of its problems.

TN is the most basic and the starting point. It doesn't really excel in anything other than being really mature which means that the panels are mostly very fast and responsive.

IPS tried to fix the off-angle performance the most, it has way better viewing angles than TN and is mostly preferred to professional color work due to the fact that you aren't going to have any meaningful color shifting nor color inversion or contrast loss. Monitors are also expected to be used with lights on, which means that the bad blacks aren't exactly a super important problem. But it is if you watch movies at night for example.

VA tried to fix the black levels problem. Since Televisions were expected to be used during the night with lights off, we had to be able to produce blacker blacks not to make it look ridiculously shit in a dark environment. Viewing angles are better than TN but worse than IPS and you should expect a lot of contrast loss off-angle. VA panels are better for televisions due to the better night performance. The same applies if you like to play games with your lights turned off during the night though, but you shouldn't.

Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-29 at 10:11 PM.

Deleted
    hmmm. leaning towards the IPS then, it's 10% cheaper and if the backlight bleeding is bad there is always the generous return policy we have here.

Deleted
    Just ran http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator on my parts, comes out at around 500W. though that is with higher overclocks then i'll probably manage and on full load, which i guess in real life is rare for prolonged times. still it makes me wonder if should change to 650W psu.

pcpartpicker says 380W but not sure if they take overclocks into account.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-07-31 at 11:50 PM.

Just ran http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator on my parts, comes out at around 500W. though that is with higher overclocks then i'll probably manage and on full load, which i guess in real life is rare for prolonged times. still it makes me wonder if should change to 650W psu.

pcpartpicker says 380W but not sure if they take overclocks into account.
    What are you overclocking? With modest CPU overclock (up to 4.6Ghz with sub 1.4v) and no GPU overclock you're fine with a good 550W PSU. I'm assuming your setup looks something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€245.00)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€55.00)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€152.50)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€80.00)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€96.00)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.00)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (€480.00)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case (€80.00)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€99.00)
    Monitor: AOC U3477PQU 34.0" 60Hz Monitor (€600.00)
    Total: €1942.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-01 11:30 CEST+0200

Deleted
    What are you overclocking? With modest CPU overclock (up to 4.6Ghz with sub 1.4v) and no GPU overclock you're fine with a good 550W PSU. I'm assuming your setup looks something like this:
    The current pretty much finalized list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€245.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€59.99 @ Aquatuning)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€59.99 @ Aquatuning)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€167.15 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€87.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€97.74 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card (€460.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (€80.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (€24.67 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Monitor: Dell U3415W 34.0" 60Hz Monitor
    Total: €1337.29
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-01 12:55 CEST+0200

how come you pick another gpu on this list , just random quick picks?

as for the mobo, you said the z170-a had better cpu power phases so i read a bunch of reviews since i counted the same amount of chokes on each, and the pro has the same power design and i'm nearly certain so does the pro gaming. every review bitched on the z170-a cheaper audio codec though, so that + overall better build quality made me go for the pro version. probably not really worth the €16 extra and I'll probably not hear the difference but at least it won't nag me.

crap just noticed it's much lighter, almost too light, on the fan headers though. can i just use https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/3223...-splitter.html to get 3 front fans on 1 header? would be prettier on the cable management too probably. or swap back to the z170a and save a couple bucks.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-08-01 at 11:51 AM.

The current pretty much finalized list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€245.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€167.15 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€87.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€97.74 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card (€460.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (€80.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (€24.67 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Monitor: Dell U3415W 34.0" 60Hz Monitor
    Total: €1337.29
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-01 12:55 CEST+0200

how come you pick another gpu on this list , just random quick picks?

as for the mobo, you said the z170-a had better cpu power phases so i read a bunch of reviews since i counted the same amount of chokes on each, and the pro has the same power design and i'm nearly certain so does the pro gaming. every review bitched on the z170-a cheaper audio codec though, so that + overall better build quality made me go for the pro version. I'll probably not hear the difference but at least it won't nag me.

crap just noticed it's much lighter, almost too light, on the fan headers though. can i just use https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/3223...-splitter.html to get multiple fans on 1 header? would be prettier on the cable management too probably.
    I thought you're comparing Z170-A and Z170 Pro Gaming. Z170-Pro is just not worth it, you're overpaying for virtually nothing (and giving up some legacy support, in case you need it). Z170-A also has 2 more chassis fan connectors. You wont notice the difference in audio codec unless you're running some highend headphones or speakers (in which case you should buy a PCIe sound card). There is also no build quality difference.

The videocard is I believe the cheapest good one I could find on Tweakers. Also on fans - your setup should look like 2x140mm front intake, 1x140mm side intake, 1x140mm top exhaust, 1x140mm rear exhaust. For fans I'd choose Phanteks F140.

Deleted
    I thought you're comparing Z170-A and Z170 Pro Gaming. Z170-Pro is just not worth it, you're overpaying for virtually nothing (and giving up some legacy support, in case you need it). Z170-A also has 2 more chassis fan connectors. You wont notice the difference in audio codec unless you're running some highend headphones or speakers (in which case you should buy a PCIe sound card). There is also no build quality difference.

The videocard is I believe the cheapest good one I could find on Tweakers. Also on fans - your setup should look like 2x140mm front intake, 1x140mm side intake, 1x140mm top exhaust, 1x140mm rear exhaust. For fans I'd choose Phanteks F140.
    yeah im pretty torn on the mobo. this review says it feels higher quality since he tested both, but it also says it's less bang for buck.

one store is selling fractal fans for €12 intead of the ussual €19, and there are already 2 of those in the case, so i guess that's fine too :P

but back to the original question: 550w enough with overclocks or swap to 650w?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-08-01 at 12:18 PM.

yeah im pretty torn on the mobo. this review says it feels higher quality since he tested both.

one store is selling fractal fans for €12 intead of the ussual €19, and there are already 2 of those in the case, so i guess that's fine too :P

With modest CPU overclock (up to 4.6Ghz with sub 1.4v) and no GPU overclock you're fine with a good
    Quoting myself. Decide for yourself.

yeah im pretty torn on the mobo. this review says it feels higher quality since he tested both, but it also says it's less bang for buck.

550w should be sufficient, but you can always split the difference and grab one of these http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/n...s12ii620bronze

Hardware does use a lot less power then it used too, and a lot of websites give advise based on the lower end of the spectrum, some crappy 650W PSU's can only do 500W and so on, if you buy a good one it will do what's on the box and you will be absolutely fine.