Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Please review before I buy

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase all parts for my new pc today and was hoping you could cast a quick eye over it for me...

I'm going to use it mainly for WoW and possibly Dota/Hots, but if it would be capable of running battlefield and other future games that would be perfect. I'd be tempted to make the change from console gaming. I'll be running all games at 1080p on a 23inch monitor.

The only things I have bought so far are the motherboard and the Ram, but the rest I will buy today.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcc7TH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcc7TH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.97 @ More Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£41.18 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£80.99 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Video Card (£245.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.45 @ More Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.79 @ Novatech)
    Total: £871.62
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 14:09 BST+0100

Does this look ok or would you suggest anything different? I think the Psu might be slightly overkill, although I am planning to overclock.

Looks solid to me, I would spend abit more (if it isn't much more) and get the 1070 but that's me.

Still a solid build ether way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Good build.
    I'd Maybe go for a 1070 instead.

you could dubble the ram tho, i think 8 is on the low side.
    but that can be done at a later date 2.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Deleted
    Thanks guys.

The onot thing stopping me getting a 1070 is that it will be around £150 more and if I end up only really playing WoW then it'll be overkill.

I'd like to think that I'd play more but it's just a bit of a gamble.

Ya lots of poor advice on these forums lately it seems, a 1060 is beyond massive overkill for WoW. A dude in another thread just went from a gtx 760>1060 and he didnt see a FPS increase anywhere in the game and i believe it. In fact on the official WoW forums ive seen people with 1080's reporting lower FPS than the card they updated from likely due to the older card having more driver optimizations. Around two years ago i went from a gtx 465 to a gtx 760 and saw nearly no changes, and on paper 760 is twice as fast as my old card.

If you are upgrading for other games go for it, but dont expect gains in WoW you will probably be disappointed.

I also would make these changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£104.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£64.76 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£80.99 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.79 @ Novatech)
    Total: £859.95
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 15:14 BST+0100

Good idea to grab 16gigs of ram in in 2016, saved a bit of money on motherboard to put towards a nice 2400 kit.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-07-31 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted
    I'm upgrading from a 6 year old system with a GeForce gt320 in it. I could probably put in just about any gpu and see a good fps increase. Currently play on '2' with around 25 fps in raids

Quote Originally Posted by Slaktare View Post
    I'm upgrading from a 6 year old system with a GeForce gt320 in it. I could probably put in just about any gpu and see a good fps increase. Currently play on '2' with around 25 fps in raids
    Yep i was referring to the people suggesting going with a 1070, as a 1060 is already far beyond what is an effective hardware cap for WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a really solid setup, but I didn't see an OS. Sometimes forget to put the price of windows into their budget.

My 2 cents on the 1060 is to stay with it. The only reason I'd go for a 1070/1080 is if I were going to SLI them. And maybe not even then since apparently you can run side by side GPU's in DX12 games.

Deleted
    Ah true. Is it still feasible to pick up a cheap key from Kinguin?

Ah true. Is it still feasible to pick up a cheap key from Kinguin?
    Ya for sure, just make sure to include the buyer protection for a dollar or whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    snip
    You are being wrong on a few parts.

Many people forget that the "ultra slider" doesnt enable AA.

A 465 cant handle AA the same as a 760, the same reasoning a 760 cant handle AA as good as a 1060, the difference is there, but no one logical plays with SSAAx4, or forces extra from outside as some do at other games.

Therefor, there is a difference, just no reason to enable it, then again i dont think the difference is that much to warranty an upgrade or the excessive money, probably next expansion 760 wont handle AA as well as a 970 as example.

Secondly, RAM and Skylake have a very good relationship, especially on Single player games, there is up to a 15% difference in FPS between 2133 RAM and 3000 RAM DDR4, online games see less of a difference but it can reach to 10% in situations, in other words, higher the RAM the better.

Personally saw about a 5 FPS difference between 2400 and 3000 and since prices are the same there is no reason not to go for 3000.

Thirdly, WoW has reached a state were media cards of around 3 generations ago can no longer handle raiding, the texture increase is too much, GPU matters a lot right now compared to how it did before, like a 650 or a 750, Ti is a different matter as they always were.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Everything looks good, maybe get a beefier cooler if you plan on overclocking. Also depending on how long you'll get your graphics card I would suggest the RX 480. It'll be the better card in the long run.
    Last edited by MatthewOU2015; 2016-07-31 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You are being wrong on a few parts.

Many people forget that the "ultra slider" doesnt enable AA.

A 465 cant handle AA the same as a 760, the same reasoning a 760 cant handle AA as good as a 1060, the difference is there, but no one logical plays with SSAAx4, or forces extra from outside as some do at other games.

Therefor, there is a difference, just no reason to enable it, then again i dont think the difference is that much to warranty an upgrade or the excessive money, probably next expansion 760 wont handle AA as well as a 970 as example.

Secondly, RAM and Skylake have a very good relationship, especially on Single player games, there is up to a 15% difference in FPS between 2133 RAM and 3000 RAM DDR4, online games see less of a difference but it can reach to 10% in situations, in other words, higher the RAM the better.

Personally saw about a 5 FPS difference between 2400 and 3000 and since prices are the same there is no reason not to go for 3000.

Thirdly, WoW has reached a state were media cards of around 3 generations ago can no longer handle raiding, the texture increase is too much, GPU matters a lot right now compared to how it did before, like a 650 or a 750, Ti is a different matter as they always were.
    Like you said AA is a FPS killer i dont even take this into account as people shouldnt be running those absurd AA modes, as for memory speed ive read in many overclocking threads anything over 2400 WILL lower your max OC on skylake this is why i usually suggest 2400 kits. CPU speed>memory speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Everything looks good, maybe get a beefier cooler if you plan on overclocking. Also depending on how long you'll get your graphics card I would suggest the RX 480. It'll be the better card in the long run.
    Not for blizzard games:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...X_1060/23.html
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page2.html

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya lots of poor advice on these forums lately it seems, a 1060 is beyond massive overkill for WoW. A dude in another thread just went from a gtx 760>1060 and he didnt see a FPS increase anywhere in the game and i believe it. In fact on the official WoW forums ive seen people with 1080's reporting lower FPS than the card they updated from likely due to the older card having more driver optimizations. Around two years ago i went from a gtx 465 to a gtx 760 and saw nearly no changes, and on paper 760 is twice as fast as my old card.
    This is simply not true. I had a GTX 960 and jumped to a 1070 and my fps increased dramatically, now I can run ultra 4xMSAA with vsync on. granted a 1070 is overkill for wow, a 1060 is a perfect fit and a good option for OP. It does depend on the CPU, but the OP isnt going to have that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    This is simply not true. I had a GTX 960 and jumped to a 1070 and my fps increased dramatically, now I can run ultra 4xMSAA with vsync on. granted a 1070 is overkill for wow, a 1060 is a perfect fit and a good option for OP. It does depend on the CPU, but the OP isnt going to have that issue.
    Unnecessarily taxing forms of AA is not good reason to upgrade a video card. In fact, that is the reason these modes even exist today still.....so people get the illusion the money they spent went to good on an old game like WoW. Of course out in the open world a 1060/70 is going to get higher FPS but at such high framerates what are we talking about here, and without staring at a frame counter you arent going to perceptually be noticing those changes anyways. I felt like i wasted my money when i went from a 465 to a 760, so ive experienced this already. If FPS meters didnt exist, could you notice a difference between your 960 and 1070? IF i setup two identical PC's a 960 in one 1070 in the other could you reliably tell me which system was which?

Ya lots of poor advice on these forums lately it seems, a 1060 is beyond massive overkill for WoW. A dude in another thread just went from a gtx 760>1060 and he didnt see a FPS increase anywhere in the game and i believe it.
    The dude didnt see any increase because he's processor capped and not running highest settings. Of course he's not going to see any increase when his videocard is not working it's full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    The dude didnt see any increase because he's processor capped and not running highest settings. Of course he's not going to see any increase when his videocard is not working it's full capacity.
    Again, turning on unnecessarily taxing forms of AA is not a justification for spending this kind of money on a 12 year old game....especially when those visual changes are nearly imperceptible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unnecessarily taxing forms of AA is not good reason to upgrade a video card. In fact, that is the reason these modes even exist today still.....so people get the illusion the money they spent went to good on an old game like WoW. Of course out in the open world a 1060/70 is going to get higher FPS but at such high framerates what are we talking about here, and without staring at a frame counter you arent going to perceptually be noticing those changes anyways. I felt like i wasted my money when i went from a 465 to a 760, so ive experienced this already. If FPS meters didnt exist, could you notice a difference between your 960 and 1070? IF i setup two identical PC's a 960 in one 1070 in the other could you reliably tell me which system was which?
    You got me there, probably not, and I agree if you are using a 1440p as AA isnt as noticeable. Im not disputing that you most likely wont see a difference, also depending on CPU, but there is difference and that is left up to the user to decide, however, there is a difference, whether one notices or not depends on that person.

I just thought you were kinda harsh saying "Ya lots of poor advice on these forums", advice comes from perspective and from what we have found that works, not everyone's is the same, nor are we all right, we are all here to help, its up to the user to decide based on research of what we say.

Ya ill try and watch my harsh tone, there is a certain poster on here that has gotten me riled up the past couple days with head shakingly poor advice....my bad.

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase all parts for my new pc today and was hoping you could cast a quick eye over it for me...

I'm going to use it mainly for WoW and possibly Dota/Hots, but if it would be capable of running battlefield and other future games that would be perfect. I'd be tempted to make the change from console gaming. I'll be running all games at 1080p on a 23inch monitor.

The only things I have bought so far are the motherboard and the Ram, but the rest I will buy today.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcc7TH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcc7TH/by_merchant/

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.97 @ More Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£41.18 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £871.62
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 14:09 BST+0100

Does this look ok or would you suggest anything different? I think the Psu might be slightly overkill, although I am planning to overclock.
    Looks good. You dont need 650W PSU for this setup though, and this PSU series uses a lower quality components than let's say G2, GS and GQ series. So I'd stick with this. I would also suggest getting 16GB RAM but it's a shame that you already bought it, change the cooler to either be quiet! PURE ROCK (slightly better cooling and slighly less noise for basically the same price) or if you're up for that overclocking task I'd suggest be quiet! Dark Rock 3 or Noctua U14S (first one is less noisy and latter has better cooling performance).

- - - Updated - - -

Again, turning on unnecessarily taxing forms of AA is not a justification for spending this kind of money on a 12 year old game....especially when those visual changes are nearly imperceptible.
    He can't really get much cheaper with the current generation. GTX 1060 will be better for WoW no matter what AMD releases this year.