Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    i will take a wild guess .... social people sits outside in there front yard being social with other people if you do not want to be social you go inside or in the backyard ?

OMG! I wonder this every damn day. Just drive through the down and out neighborhoods and all you see is this. Plus they look at you like they want to kill you for even existing. Wth?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My non-poor aunt and uncle sit on their front porch fairly often.
    Obviously neither are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    From my experience "poor people" are a lot more social. My gf is from a 3rd world country and each night they'd visit others. Family, friends, or anyone else that feels like socializing. And they'd always sit in their front yard or pull up a couple of chairs and just sit down on the sides of the street if they don't have a yard.
    a few studies i have read have concluded the same thing - being social is a lifeline for those without a lot of money, its necessary to ensure you get what you need and is done in public - whereas being social is a status line for those with a lot of money, its used to retain social status and is done in exclusivity to retain the status quo
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-07-31 at 06:34 PM.

I also wanted to say I don't think that it's in poor taste to seek to understand something that is foreign to you. Even if it seems offensive, it's not. I truly wondered the same thing myself. I even mentioned to a few people and couldn't ever get a satisfactory answer. No one got offended to my asking. They just expressed the same confusion and said they hadn't even thought of it. It's just culture shock really.

Edit: I have no money to speak of (disabled). However I maintain my tiny piece of lawn and keep myself inside or in my backyard. I enjoy solitude immensely.
    Last edited by dawnkeeper; 2016-07-31 at 06:38 PM.

That's really ridiculous... it's called a yard for a reason. They can utilize it in whatever way they choose because it's theirs. As long as they're not being obnoxiously loud, abusive, or revealing themselves to random people then there's no problem with them sitting there.

Wait, I found a picture of some "poor people" sitting on their frontyard also. This must stop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InventiveMeasures View Post
    That's really ridiculous... it's called a yard for a reason. They can utilize it in whatever way they choose because it's theirs. As long as they're not being obnoxiously loud, abusive, or revealing themselves to random people then there's no problem with them sitting there.

Wait, I found a picture of some "poor people" sitting on their frontyard also, this must stop.
    Maybe its different in America. Although i do recall rednecks having a couch in the front yard and shit like that. Maybe thats comparable.

Deleted
    Why does it matter if they sit in the front or backyard?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    Why does it matter if they sit in the front or backyard?
    I have no opinion on the matter.
    Im simply observing that poor people prefer the frontyard and im asking "Why?"

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF is this thread?
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    a few studies i have read have concluded the same thing - being social is a lifeline for those without a lot of money, its necessary to ensure you get what you need and is done in public - whereas being social is a status line for those with a lot of money, its used to retain social status and is done in exclusivity to retain the status quo
    I wouldn't say that's the only reason. I dare say the majority of people there, from what I've seen, genuinely enjoy the company of others.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Because i dont always use the car? Because my GF is using it? Because i like bikeing? Because im a sporty type? Take your pick.
    You see, just as driving a bike doesn't have to do anything with being poor, neither is sitting in front of your house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    You see, just as driving a bike doesn't have to do anything with being poor, neither is sitting in front of your house.
    In Holland it is. Pretty sure many countries have an equivalent.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends more on the age of the home than anything. Most older homes have porches, most newer (and *generally* more expensive) homes do not. The question could be phrased more as why do people with newer homes not have porches or socialize? I live in an older neighborhood where the homes actually are quite nice and go up to 500k range, and plenty of people sit on the front porch and socialize. So it's generalizing and not really accurate to declare them all poor.

And knowing your neighbors is a good thing no matter where you live, for all sorts of reasons. If you don't, that's what leads to fights over minuscule stuff, like your dog barked once, or the line you mowed between our properties isn't perfectly straight. I grew up in a well off neighborhood and one guy would actually go out with a ruler and chalkline to see if the line had been mowed straight with his neighbors and complain if it wasn't perfect. That's what happens when you don't have porches (lol).

Who the fuck are you to tell people what to do or is "acceptable" behaviour if you were poor ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Who the fuck are you to tell people what to do or is "acceptable" with your pathetic definition of poor ?
    Who the fuck are you to assume im deeming something acceptable or not?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Paraphrase is to cut jargon.
    What your doing is called a strawman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
    "Straw man is a rhetorical technique (also classified as a logical fallacy) based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
    Just because people can see through your bullshit doesn't make it a strawman. You are too cowardly to come out and say what you really mean, so you simply elude to it.
    The Trump form of speaking only works on people who aren't able to logically analyze what he is saying, and that is exactly how your OP, and every reply you have given was presented.

Deleted
    Haha this thread. I have a front yard, backyard, baloncy in the back, balcony in the front and I sit wherever, whenever I want. Oh and I ain't poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no point to this thread