Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Worth it to upgrade? GeForce 960 to 1060?

Currently i'm running a 960 card on a 5700k I7 processor.

Ive noticed a drop in FPS (was at 90ish, now down to 50s) since the new 7.0 WoW patch came out.

Is it worth it to drop the 250 bucks on a new 1060 card? Anyone else seen a drop in FPS when the patch came out?

Ive got a 760 and didnt notice any drops, what are your settings at?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    960 to 1060? Eh...

What graphics settings are you trying to push? Do you have $250 just lying around doing nothing?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Are you trying to run settings at 10? Because 7 is the old "Ultra" so it sounds like you may just have the settings turned up more than they were. Personally, no, I do not think it would be worth it, and I have a 960 myself, though I don't play WoW.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    960 to 1060? Eh...

What graphics settings are you trying to push? Do you have $250 just lying around doing nothing?
    according to Jaylock, he has the hope diamond laying around, going by his words, OP should scrape out some of his change from his couch cushions and pick up a titan X.

Being serious, If you have a 960, it'll work fine for WOW, and you should only upgrade if you're willing to fork out the cash for a 1070 or better, IMO.

Also, do not expect to find any pascal/polaris GPUS at their market prices, expect to pay at least $50 more, and that's being generous.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2016-08-03 at 11:22 PM.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the 960, you won't gain much with a 1060. The 1060 is around the performance of a 970, so I hope that puts some perspective on things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Keep the 960, you won't gain much with a 1060. The 1060 is around the performance of a 970, so I hope that puts some perspective on things.
    Literally the Founder's Edition of the 1060 is a 960*2, and then a little bit, depending on the game. The 970 is also a fair amount better, but not quite as much.

He'd gain more than twice the performance and better VRAM as well as brute force, sooooo...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1744?vs=1771
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    1060 is twice the 960, so yeah, it is a huge upgrade as the 960 wasnt all that special.

Should you get it JUST for WoW, I wouldnt unless you have the extra cash, if you play other games that would benefit, yeah I would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MurlocDemonHunter View Post
    according to Jaylock, he has the hope diamond laying around, going by his words, OP should scrape out some of his change from his couch cushions and pick up a titan X.

Being serious, If you have a 960, it'll work fine for WOW, and you should only upgrade if you're willing to fork out the cash for a 1070 or better, IMO.

Also, do not expect to find any pascal/polaris GPUS at their market prices, expect to pay at least $50 more, and that's being generous.
    I like how in the computer forums we don't always bring up crap like that, especially from the gen off-topic, so let's stay on topic.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally the Founder's Edition of the 1060 is a 960*2, and then a little bit, depending on the game. The 970 is also a fair amount better, but not quite as much.

He'd gain more than twice the performance and better VRAM as well as brute force, sooooo...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1744?vs=1771
    But WoW don't care. I've also experienced a massive performance loss with WoW 7.0, but I don't believe a new GPU would make up for that. Then again, without benchmarks I can't honestly say that it wouldn't cause WoW has always been CPU limited.

How hard would it be for Blizzard to include a benchmark tool?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    But WoW don't care. I've also experienced a massive performance loss with WoW 7.0, but I don't believe a new GPU would make up for that. Then again, without benchmarks I can't honestly say that it wouldn't cause WoW has always been CPU limited.

How hard would it be for Blizzard to include a benchmark tool?
    I doubt hard at all...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt hard at all...
    I hardly doubt it either it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Currently i'm running a 960 card on a 5700k I7 processor.

Ive noticed a drop in FPS (was at 90ish, now down to 50s) since the new 7.0 WoW patch came out.

Is it worth it to drop the 250 bucks on a new 1060 card? Anyone else seen a drop in FPS when the patch came out?
    What settings are you playing on? Stuff like increased resolution, soft shadows and HBAO+ will tax your GPU while other things will tax your CPU. You might not get better overall performance with a 1060, but you will be able to play with better graphical fidelity.

It all depends what your bottlenecks are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    1060 is twice the 960, so yeah, it is a huge upgrade as the 960 wasnt all that special.

Should you get it JUST for WoW, I wouldnt unless you have the extra cash, if you play other games that would benefit, yeah I would.
    This man speaks the truth!
    1060 is a big upgrade from 960. 1060 is about as fast as 980 (non Ti), while 960 is about as fast as 670.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    This man speaks the truth!
    1060 is a big upgrade from 960. 1060 is about as fast as 980 (non Ti), while 960 is about as fast as 670.
    If the OP is playing other games then yes a 1060 is a big upgrade, but WoW usually doesn't gain much with faster GPUs, but 7.0 has some new features and I could be wrong and now the GPU matters.

What he said^

You legit wont be able to tell a difference from a 960 going to a 1060. If you play other games go ham, just WoW save 250 bucks.

Isn't the 1060 also a lot cooler, due to the lower power requirements than the 9-series? I know for myself personally my computer puts out quite a bit of hot air when I'm playing WoW, as opposed to just doing random stuff on my computer. Part of that is probably increased CPU load and resulting heat, but there's bound to be an improvement in GPU temps with the upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    Isn't the 1060 also a lot cooler, due to the lower power requirements than the 9-series? I know for myself personally my computer puts out quite a bit of hot air when I'm playing WoW, as opposed to just doing random stuff on my computer. Part of that is probably increased CPU load and resulting heat, but there's bound to be an improvement in GPU temps with the upgrade.
    Depends on what version you're getting.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...on_table_lets/ for some data on idle/load temps to compare

Quote Originally Posted by PepperedAngus View Post
    Depends on what version you're getting.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...on_table_lets/ for some data on idle/load temps to compare
    The interesting thing about that chart IMO is that the EVGA one has the fewest fans of those with temp readings, and still has the lowest temps. Myself, I'm waiting for the EVGA 1060 ACX 3.0 cards to come out before I upgrade from my current 760, hopefully by Black Friday sales. Not sure yet if I'll go with the FTW or SSC version, but I have a feeling either of them is going to make for an awesome card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    The interesting thing about that chart IMO is that the EVGA one has the fewest fans of those with temp readings, and still has the lowest temps. Myself, I'm waiting for the EVGA 1060 ACX 3.0 cards to come out before I upgrade from my current 760, hopefully by Black Friday sales. Not sure yet if I'll go with the FTW or SSC version, but I have a feeling either of them is going to make for an awesome card.
    Yeah, that result from the single fan EVGA surprised me too. I was originally going for the SC edition, but haven't been able to get my hands on one because of ridiculously low stocks (same for the rx480, 1070 and 1080 without picking stupidly overpriced options). I'll just hold on until the FTW or SSC is available I guess.