Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Moon Express becomes first private company to get US approval for lunar mission

    Spaceflight venture Moon Express wants to be the first private company ever to land on the Moon in 2017 — and now the company has been granted approval by the United States government to launch to the lunar surface. It's the first time the government has granted regulatory approval for a private mission beyond Earth orbit. And Moon Express came very close to being denied permission to go.

    No regulatory framework currently exists for a commercial space missions to another world. Lawmakers are working on a permanent solution, but it likely won't be ready in time for Moon Express' 2017 mission. So the company came up with its own temporary framework — a regulatory patch — that the US government could use to oversee the company's mission. And after a meeting between the Federal Aviation Administration, the White House, and the State Department, Moon Express has been given the approval it needs to launch to the Moon.

    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/123...nment-approved
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  2. #2
    WTF is an approval for moon mission?

    No one owns the moon therefor no one can give approvals for missions.
    Americans get your shit together please.

    If today i wanna built a fucking rocket and fly there no one should be able to stop me because no one owns it.
    Fucking retarded humans..

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    WTF is an approval for moon mission?

    No one owns the moon therefor no one can give approvals for missions.
    Americans get your shit together please.

    If today i wanna built a fucking rocket and fly there no one should be able to stop me because no one owns it.
    Fucking retarded humans..
    Considering you can't even build an addition to your own house without government permission, this shouldn't be surprising.

  4. #4
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    WTF is an approval for moon mission?

    No one owns the moon therefor no one can give approvals for missions.
    Americans get your shit together please.

    If today i wanna built a fucking rocket and fly there no one should be able to stop me because no one owns it.
    Fucking retarded humans..
    Grow up, kiddo.

  5. #5
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    WTF is an approval for moon mission?

    No one owns the moon therefor no one can give approvals for missions.
    Americans get your shit together please.

    If today i wanna built a fucking rocket and fly there no one should be able to stop me because no one owns it.
    Fucking retarded humans..
    you should be glad then the US is not a signatory to the moon treaty that regulates moon mining.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Grow up, kiddo.
    Really is that the best you got?
    Kiddo listen you pseudo human i'm right and you are but a cogwheel in the system but live your beta life and be happy.

    Leave the grownups to take charge of things.

    Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-08-04 at 02:27 PM.

  7. #7
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Really is that the best you got?
    Kiddo listen you pseudo human i'm right and you are but a cogwheel in the system but live your beta life and be happy.

    Leave the grownups to take charge of things.
    It's all you deserve, kiddo.

    Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-08-04 at 02:26 PM.

  8. #8
    I have to agree. You can restrict people from building certain rockets and whatnot, but you can't "approve" space travel. If someone had the means to build a shuttle to mars, no govt on Earth could tell them they couldn't land there.

    A Govt on mars could though...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    It's all you deserve, kiddo.
    Sure dad.
    I'm more then happy to oblige your life needs because after all that is all the attention you are going to get in the upcoming years.

    But you keep on going i'm sure you are worth something even if you are in a jar.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I have to agree. You can restrict people from building certain rockets and whatnot, but you can't "approve" space travel. If someone had the means to build a shuttle to mars, no govt on Earth could tell them they couldn't land there.

    A Govt on mars could though...
    Agreed. Not just that, but anyone with the kind of money to build a rocket could also just as easily decide to pack up and move to a country that doesn't try to micro control what its citizens are trying to do. Worse case scenario, someone tries to go to the moon and dies. Best case scenario, the US could go, "Oh look, we're so great even our private citizens are able to go to the moon!"

    Trying to stop someone from doing it is just stupid. Yes, safety should be important, but "having to look into laws if it is even allowed." is just wrong.

  11. #11
    Old God I Push Buttons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,600
    All you people are freaking out about nonsense... This isn't the US government pretending to own fucking space... This is entirely about liability and safety. Do you think anyone should just be able to launch shit into space with no regard for anything already there? What if some company launched something and hit the ISS and killed a bunch of astronauts...? Or launched something and wiped out a couple private satellites? Or fucks up like China did a few years ago and creates a giant debris field in Low Earth Orbit?

    You already have to get a license from the FAA and others to launch things into Low Earth Orbit... This "approval" is literally just the same thing and a stopgap because no regulatory mechanism exists for launching things beyond Low Earth Orbit.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I have to agree. You can restrict people from building certain rockets and whatnot, but you can't "approve" space travel.
    You can if the space travel needs to start or end in the sovereign nation.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    All you people are freaking out about nonsense... This isn't the US government pretending to own fucking space... This is entirely about liability and safety. Do you think anyone should just be able to launch shit into space with no regard for anything already there? What if some company launched something and hit the ISS and killed a bunch of astronauts...? Or launched something and wiped out a couple private satellites? Or fucks up like China did a few years ago and creates a giant debris field in Low Earth Orbit?

    You already have to get a license from the FAA and others to launch things into Low Earth Orbit... This "approval" is literally just the same thing and a stopgap because no regulatory mechanism exists for launching things beyond Low Earth Orbit.
    Oh please any one capable of launching something in to space will already be aware of not hitting your precious ISS.

    Stop been so deluded...

  14. #14
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    WTF is an approval for moon mission?

    No one owns the moon therefor no one can give approvals for missions.
    Americans get your shit together please.

    If today i wanna built a fucking rocket and fly there no one should be able to stop me because no one owns it.
    Fucking retarded humans..
    Incorrect. Article 6 of the Outer Space Treaty :

    The activities of non-governmental entities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall require authorization and continuing supervision by the appropriate State Party to the Treaty

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Incorrect. Article 6 of the Outer Space Treaty :
    Never said i was correct.

    I said they should not have authority on something like the moon or who should be able to shoot them self's in to space.
    There is no reason for that because they own nothing in space nor the moon.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Incorrect. Article 6 of the Outer Space Treaty :

    And for good reasons too. Government agencies like NASA make a huge effort to ensure that they don't contaminate the planets and moon (maybe not so much the moon anymore) with microbiology from earth.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Never said i was correct.

    I said they should not have authority on something like the moon or who should be able to shoot them self's in to space.
    There is no reason for that because they own nothing in space nor the moon.
    Except to prevent private organizations from wasting billions of the governments money because they didn't properly decontaminate before sending their rockets to mars which could potentially ruin years of research done.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    And for good reasons too. Government agencies like NASA make a huge effort to ensure that they don't contaminate the planets and moon (maybe not so much the moon anymore) with microbiology from earth.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Except to prevent private organizations from wasting billions of the governments money because they didn't properly decontaminate before sending their rockets to mars which could potentially ruin years of research done.
    Private organizations do not use goverment money.
    If a project is approved by the goverment it is no longer private.
    Hence wrong again.

    Every one has all the right in the world to send what ever they like in to space.
    No one has the right to stop me if i wanna send in space all the junk mankind creates in a year .

  18. #18
    I can understand needing US permission to launch from the US, but to land on the moon? Maybe that's just poor wording, but the US has no right to the moon, no-one does.

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Private organizations do not use goverment money.
    If a project is approved by the goverment it is no longer private.
    Hence wrong again.

    Every one has all the right in the world to send what ever they like in to space.
    No one has the right to stop me if i wanna send in space all the junk mankind creates in a year .
    Reading comprehension is hard.

    Governments spend billions of dollars exploring and researching celestial bodies. They go through great lengths to ensure that anything they land on another celestial body is decontaminated to prevent interplanetary contamination.

    If any private company is allowed to send rockets to a celestial body without government approval/oversight then the government risks allowing a private organization to waste all the money and time spent on research because the private organization decided to save a few bucks on decontamination.

    If a project is approved by the goverment it is no longer private.
    Lol that's a load of bullshit. So the deck my dad built on our house isn't a private project because it required a build permit?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Every one has all the right in the world to send what ever they like in to space.
    No one has the right to stop me if i wanna send in space all the junk mankind creates in a year .
    So, you do know that there is an outer space treaty and you still say this. You don´t have a right to send anything in space.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •