Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The problem with immortality

So the problem with immortality lies in the fact that were social animals. You may live forever but the people around you wont. Your family and friends will all die. You could make more friends but again they would all day. Then there's the end of the world. Assuming you would survive the apocalypse there would be no one left.

Immortality is not worth it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

okay, thanks. I'll bear that one in mind next time someone tries to sell me immortality.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

What if everyone is immortal, boom.

Check-mate, mate.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Apeirophobia is the fear of eternity.

No matter what, you'd get bored eventually. I pity the thantophobists out there.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Id take immortality every time tbh.

Social animal lel what a joke.
    People leave friends and family on daily basis to go work for years sometimes by the time they come back their friends have moved on or died same with family.
    Then you find new friends and surrogate family if needs be it isn't that hard.

I really wanna live in a post apocalyptic times just to see what the big fuss is about.
    Really i don't think movie scenarios do that any justice.

And if you are immortal why would you care about end of the world?
    Move on jerk off do what ever your hearth desires.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    okay, thanks. I'll bear that one in mind next time someone tries to sell me immortality.
    Yeah, I'll say fuck this and take immortality. I got a long time to figure out how to deal with the end of the world. I'll come up with something.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    ^ well said, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Id take immortality every time tbh.

Social animal lel what a joke.
    People leave friends and family on daily basis to go work for years sometimes by the time they come back their friends have moved on or died same with family.
    Then you find new friends and surrogate family if needs be it isn't that hard.

I really wanna live in a post apocalyptic times just to see what the big fuss is about.
    Really i don't think movie scenarios do that any justice.

And if you are immortal why would you care about end of the world?
    Move on jerk off do what ever your hearth desires.
    It depends on what kind of immortality it is and what happens when you get into a car accident where you lose a leg and an arm. Will your limbs grow back. Are you going to have to live forever that way. You have a small chance of being seriously injured each year, if you live ten lifetimes you have 10 more chances of being injured.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It depends on what kind of immortality it is and what happens when you get into a car accident where you lose a leg and an arm. Will your limbs grow back. Are you going to have to live forever that way. You have a small chance of being seriously injured each year, if you live ten lifetimes you have 10 more chances of being injured.
    Why do you even go in to theory's ?
    Immortal means you cannot die cant get injured cant lose limbs eyes anything.
    Because you are immortal there if you can lose either of those means you can get your head detached from your body and that is it you are done therefor you are not really immortal just immune to some random other shit.

That's suggesting nobody out there actually enjoys being on their own, being bored is the only real hassle as that can drag on if you end up in a last thing alive scenario. Just floating around in space waiting to bump into something interesting.

Why do you even go in to theory's ?
    Immortal means you cannot die cant get injured cant lose limbs eyes anything.
    Because you are immortal there if you can lose either of those means you can get your head detached from your body and that is it you are done therefor you are not really immortal just immune to some random other shit.
    technically immortal just means you can't die. Doesn't say you can't get seriously injured.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    That's suggesting nobody out there actually enjoys being on their own, being bored is the only real hassle as that can drag on if you end up in a last thing alive scenario. Just floating around in space waiting to bump into something interesting.
    Floating around space is 10000000000000 more exciting then your every day human life.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So the problem with immortality lies in the fact that were social animals. You may live forever but the people around you wont. Your family and friends will all die. You could make more friends but again they would all day. Then there's the end of the world. Assuming you would survive the apocalypse there would be no one left.

Your 'argument' is poorly framed and worded. However, I am assuming you mean to say immortality is an undesirable prospect due to social bonds being temporary.

I would remind you that humans form new social bonds all the time. We have our loved ones pass, hearts broken, friends stab us in the back, mothers commit suicide, fathers leave, puppies get hit by buses, children die in their sleep, etc. Yet we still form new social connections despite the loss of loved ones.

There is no rational basis to assume a human that is immoral would be incapable of forming new social bonds despite transitory relationships.

technically immortal just means you can't die. Doesn't say you can't get seriously injured.
    Technically no.
    If you can get seriously injured you are not immortal i told you already.
    You are just immune to random desies aging and other superficial stuff.
    Because if i can dismember you i can kill you therefor you are not immortal.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    What if everyone is immortal, boom.

Check-mate, mate.
    Time to read "The Boat of a Million Years" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bo..._Million_Years

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Your 'argument' is poorly framed and worded. However, I am assuming you mean to say immortality is an undesirable prospect due to social bonds being temporary.

I would remind you that humans form new social bonds all the time. We have our loved ones pass, hearts broken, friends stab us in the back, mothers commit suicide, fathers leave, puppies get hit by buses, children die in their sleep, etc. Yet we still form new social connections despite the loss of loved ones.

There is no rational basis to assume a human that is immoral would be incapable of forming new social bonds despite transitory relationships.
    The point I was making with that is that having people come and go in your long life of being immortal likely would get really hard to deal with.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Floating around space is 10000000000000 more exciting then your every day human life.
    For a few moments perhaps, but after a while the novelty would wear off. Humans do like to have mental stimulation and just floating around when there is nothing left but you, kinda means there won't be anything left to cause mental stimulation beyond yourself. Also I'd have to say you're exaggerating the entertainment value of floating around in space, normal everyday life even at it's most tedious has millions of incidents where something catches the mind's interest. Compared to just floating around with nothing to do, I'm taking sitting on my backside with a computer any day.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2016-08-04 at 12:09 PM.

Without some type of propulsion to take you somewhere I would think floating in space would get boring really quickly.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

What makes you think you'd be the only one immortal? The true problem with immortality is this planet already has an issue supporting us as it is.

Also, weird thread to make? Like shower thoughts up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Also, weird thread to make? Like shower thoughts up in here.
    I thought it would be nice to discuss something other than corrupt politicians and #BLM for once.

#IStandWithGinaCarano