Bring two of the same tank to a raid?

Is this not optimal to do or does it matter anymore?
    In this case two Paladins.

Deleted
    I think its important to play what you like, and if it turns out to be that both tanks would play same class, so be it. Its ofc not "optimal" but perfectly fine. I would make a comment on that it doesnt matter unless u doing world progress, but even tank in top guilds often end up playing what they enjoy instead of what is best.

If u end up playing what is best, and you dont enjoy it as much, you will just get burned out playing it. Also the fact that wich tank is best can change pretty quickly and you would have to reroll.

TLDR: It doesnt matter.

Unless you're pushing for server-first mythic kills, bring the player not the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Unless you're pushing for server-first mythic kills, bring the player not the class.
    during actual progression, i dunno if this is the right mentality (at least where tanks are concerned). having different types of tanks can make progression easier, as they have different niche's. one tank may be better suited to a particular fight or have an ability that makes it significantly easier.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    having different types of tanks can make progression easier, as they have different niche's. one tank may be better suited to a particular fight or have an ability that makes it significantly easier.
    I never said this was wrong.

I just said that it doesn't really matter unless you're in the world first race or something. The minor difference that class stacking makes, doesn't really matter in normal/heroic.

Deleted
    A skilled player matters more than the right class imo.
    So if a encounter is *best* for a warrior, but you can't get any skilled warrior to join the raid team, then i wouldn't settle for a mediocre warrior, instead i would chose someone else regardless of class - as long as it was a skilled person.

I know, most people claim to be very skilled, so it can be tough for a raidleader to find the right people

Worh noting that tanks are a lot less powerful in Legion, which may change things. Tough to say which way it will go, it may be that better suited tanks gain less from a favoured fight, but conversely tanks who struggle with certain types of fight may be unhealable in the wrong fight.

I agree with everyone generally though, player quality is more likely to be a deciding factor than class choice outside of bleeding edge mythic.

2 different classes is a big deal, largely due to things like mobility, pickups, etc. moreso than overall tank balance. Outside of using 2x fotm tank its generally just more painful and slower them getting used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Variety is helpful since if you have some job that requires different tools then you obviously have a wider range of them.

I doubt tank variety is going to make or break much though, you can only have two tanks (usually) so the encounters aren't designed around having specific utility that they have. If your guys want to play the same class then you're probably better off having players playing a class they're interested and invested in rather than trying to make one re-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Is this not optimal to do or does it matter anymore?
    In this case two Paladins.
    Correct, its definitely not optimal as each tank has their own strengths and weaknesses.

2 different tanks can help with gearing as well, minor, but still something to consider.

At one point my raid ran with 2 prot wars. Certainly not optimal, but from what I have seen it is doable. People have tried to argue with me that held back progression. Most of the time it was everyone else screwing up mechanics and blamed the tanks for being the same class. Sorry you got hit by mechanics dumb dumb.

However this was before Legion and tanks now have some glaring weaknesses that need to be covered by one another. If you ran two Guardian druids however, GG, you'll be fine.