Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is rogue hard to master?

I started play WoW around 3 months before TBC went live. In this years I was maining Shaman > Warlock > DK and my last main was shadow priest. Since MoP I was playing very casually because my guild disbanded and I did not bother to transfer. In legion i wanna play again abit more serious.

I very often was thinking about new mains before each expansion, I was always torn between warrior, warlock, mage, dk and maybe hunter. But two classes (druid and rogue) never interested me and I never had those classes at max lvl (well had druid from boost but only to farm herbs )and for Legion I was sure I will main DH.

I got into beta around 3-4 weeks ago so I started few classes/specs to get artifact and check how it plays in dungeon/world. I found havoc pretty fun but Im missing some sort of proc or mechanic that change the gameplay abit. When I finished testing havoc (got to lvl 104, I dont want to spoil too much) I created rogue and I have no idea even why.

Got the assasination artifact, picked few talents and did not even care if they are optimal, went to some guide to have a basic idea what have highest priority and started hitting dummy. And I got hooked!!!
    First tries were hilarious, had no idea what Im doing and DPS was horrible. Again checked a basic guide and the dps doubled. But numbers are not important atm, for some reason I fall in love with assasination. I love to watch bleeds, when to refresh them, when to use DPS cooldowns etc. Im missing this on DH so much, theres except bloodlet and momentum basically nothing to track.

The problem is Im afraid I have not enough time to get ready with rogue for Legion, I used lvl 100 boost to farm mats on new serwer for new main so I have to lvl rogue from lvl 1 and I wont be able to practice in raid/dungeons with him before Legion release. And I wonder is rogue (mainly assasination, outlaw is ok but did not like sub) hard to master for someone who never played them before?

I also boosted a rogue, and playing assassination right now.
    personally i'm not a dot fan, but i do like this better than subtlety (sub is a bid awkward to play imo, and i don't like having to position in the back of the boss)

anyway.
    i think i "mastered" it in about 2 weeks.
    i don't think it's very complex.
    although the bleed build does add a bit more interesting thing to keep in mind.

imo, it's a spec that the opener is very important.
    and after that, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently all them are pretty easy to play you just need to choose something that you like and that's it, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Subtlety Master Race by the way

Nope, after they destroyed the complexity of subtetly, it aint hard to master

Legion sub isn't hard - it's just irritating.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    They didn't destroy it, it's easier but it's not the easiest at least for now
    Last edited by panzaghor; 2016-08-06 at 05:11 PM.

With the experience pots available now, you can get level 100 in two hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

I like to have around 100 hours /played into a class/spec before I consider my self having "mastered" the class. It has been that way for me since progression raiding in TBC and high level pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    With the experience pots available now, you can get level 100 in two hours.
    I know which potions youre talking about.. but are you talking 90-100 in 2 hours or 1-100.. if from 1, how?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not anymore it isn't.

I mean if you're going to pvp it still have some niches that require you to keep a close eye on things.. but other than that its a joke now tbh.

7+ Year Old Account
    All 3 specs have some sort of complexity... Assa and outlaw are probably on the easier side of things but even there with some talent there's always room for better play.. sub still has a good amount of complexity to it.. i personally think it has higher skill cap than the old version especially with the right talent setup... If you want to go assa it's not gonna be to much of a problem tho...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    I call total BS on this ... Sub with deeper stratagem (witch is the optimal 110 talent is harder or equal in terms of complexity than old sub... Minimizing energy / CP loss. Playing perfectly around master of Sub and trinkets procs without over capping SD charge. Sub still has really good amount of complexity and high skill cap... Old sub outside of set bonus is over hype in terms of difficulty...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    All 3 specs have some sort of complexity... Assa and outlaw are probably on the easier side of things but even there with some talent there's always room for better play.. sub still has a good amount of complexity to it.. i personally think it has higher skill cap than the old version especially with the right talent setup... If you want to go assa it's not gonna be to much of a problem tho...

- - - Updated - - -

I call total BS on this ... Sub with deeper stratagem (witch is the optimal 110 talent is harder or equal in terms of complexity than old sub... Minimizing energy / CP loss. Playing perfectly around master of Sub and trinkets procs without over capping SD charge. Sub still has really good amount of complexity and high skill cap... Old sub outside of set bonus is over hype in terms of difficulty...
    Deeper Strategem? Wat?

1. That's a 45 talent
    2. You don't use it as Sub

Sub now is literally pooling energy and dumping everything into dance/Vanish as often as you can. Oh, and keeping Rupt.. Ehm, Nightblade, up.

Deleted
    No its not. I've played rogue since TBC and the legion version is prob the best sub has ever been. Only new players or people that dont understand how the spec jump on the bandvagon calling it easy. Yeh its not hard to keep up night blade and spam shadow strike but the spec is so much more than that and people will also realize this if they play it for longer than 10 min and go "ewww they changed stuff"

10+ Year Old Account
    I've also played it since TBC. And it IS easy. There is literally nothing to it. Pooling for Dance and keeping 1 ability and a buff rolling. That's it.

Please do tell me what more there "is to it".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Deeper Strategem? Wat?

1. That's a 45 talent
    2. You don't use it as Sub

Sub now is literally pooling energy and dumping everything into dance/Vanish as often as you can. Oh, and keeping Rupt.. Ehm, Nightblade, up.
    It's the optimal talent at 110 because of finality...

And yeah sub is now ultra super simple a 5 year old can play.... Bla bla bla ... Like we never heard that before... Man seriously people really see old shit with the rosest of and new stuff with shit in their nose...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the optimal talent at 110 because of finality...

And yeah sub is now ultra super simple a 5 year old can play.... Bla bla bla ... Like we never heard that before... Man seriously people really see old shit with the rosest of and new stuff with shit in their nose...
    Not likely because 2 things:

By the time we get to raid, things will have changed. What that is, remains to be seen. I'll bet you a glass of pure acid changes will be made though.
    Another thing is that without vigor, you can't possibly pool enough energy for Shadow Dance to reach its full potential. Which in the longer run, doesn't really sound like a tradeoff worth considering for just 30% more evis damage every so often.

Evis isn't even halfway close to your main source of damage anyway, Shadowstrike is ahead of the pack doing like 60% of your damage.
    Now sure, the current classtrinkets affect this by a very large margin and they will probably find a way to not make those relevant in the next raiding tier, but even without it evis isn't competing with shadowstrike for tops.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Not likely because 2 things:

By the time we get to raid, things will have changed. What that is, remains to be seen. I'll bet you a glass of pure acid changes will be made though.
    Another thing is that without vigor, you can't possibly pool enough energy for Shadow Dance to reach its full potential. Which in the longer run, doesn't really sound like a tradeoff worth considering for just 30% more evis damage every so often.

Evis isn't even halfway close to your main source of damage anyway, Shadowstrike is ahead of the pack doing like 60% of your damage.
    Now sure, the current classtrinkets affect this by a very large margin and they will probably find a way to not make those relevant in the next raiding tier, but even without it evis isn't competing with shadowstrike for tops.
    It's hard to tell what will happen for sure but right now it's looking like a lot of our dmg is going to switch from shadow strike to finisher cause of the lost of classes trinket.. I would not be surprised to see a build with Nightstalker & deeper stratagem for max finisher dmg... Vigor is strong cause class trinket and subterfuge...

Our mastery also make it so finisher are going to scale better with gear than our other abilities

Is rogue hard to master.....it used to be kind of. Rogues have always been easy to pick up, combo point build and spender system is pretty intuitive to most players.

There is always complexity in squeezing out most dps and rogue/melee have a few more additional tools to learn like avoiding cleave damage and always attacking from behide to not get parries, so in a way all those things are simple but they can be done really well. Same with using stuns at important times and knowing when to kick.

Through my years on rogue the times I would consider difficult and skillful play I would count as vanishing a warlocks death coil and not getting hit.
    Kicking in burning temple, the boss with 3 different heads, cant remember name atm but back in the day the cast was super quick and he also casted a spell you didnt want to kick as well. Don't see so much of that these days its just the basic kick a spell on cooldown every 15sec.

Effective use of cloak of shadows and vanish. Not getting hit by hunter pets/flares. All this stuff needs experience.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2016-08-07 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to tell what will happen for sure but right now it's looking like a lot of our dmg is going to switch from shadow strike to finisher cause of the lost of classes trinket.. I would not be surprised to see a build with Nightstalker & deeper stratagem for max finisher dmg... Vigor is strong cause class trinket and subterfuge...

Our mastery also make it so finisher are going to scale better with gear than our other abilities
    I still don't see either getting close to shadowstrike, and like I said.. playing without vigor is going to suck because you can't pool enough so you would be trading damage for damage. And I think damage for less damage. But it's a bit of a hindsight at this point.

I find that Assassination has become infinitely more engaging than it was in pre-Legion.
    Exsanguate easily makes it one of the more complex specs, and once we get our hands on Kingsbane and its active, it will be even more so.

I was quite surprised about Assassination.
    Outlaw is just a pure RNG shitfest, however fun it may be. There is no level of skill that can manipulate RNG as heavy as RtB.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want