Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I've not changed my mind, unfortunately. Originally Baine Bloodhoof was going to be advisor to the Highmountain Chieftess and Wrathion would be with us going into Neltharion's Vault. They later combined these two into a new character. A new pure black dragon. But it took a famous, powerful and blessed lore character with arguably one of the 5 most powerful Titan artifacts in existence, to purify only one small egg in that huge stack. Since those days of old, the Hammer of Khaz'goroth has been guarded as a relic by Huln Highmountain's descendants, it's power unwielded. Which is what frustrated the Underking into taking it in the first place.

So yeah, over the ages there have been many attempts to save the black dragonflight from corruption, but lorewise this has always been unsuccessful. Which was part of the flight's tragedy. And why Wrathion was such an important accomplishment. Now, it's revealed it succeeded once before, wielding the greatest of Titan magic and control over Earth. And even then there was only one success among many. This escaped notice because Ebonhorn remained isolated on the Broken Isles, serving the Highmountain clan in secret.

This still gives us only two redeemed black dragons, under very unique and difficult circumstances. Wrathion in the original questline managed to pull 3 eggs out of a time before Deathwing's corruption. Which would have given us 3 more whelplings in the world, once they hatched. And even that is far from usable in RP. Would it really be reasonable to have played one of these 3 whelps in RP? I don't think so. It would have been way too much of a unique role, may have had your character depicted in future lore, and would have been a desired role for definitely more than 3 people.

All that's changed now is that the amount of pure black dragons, has doubled. From one, to two. I can understand this also doubles people's desires to play a black dragon. But it really doesn't make it any more wise.
    I REPEAT, what about the WHOLE BROOD of black dragons in the Outlands? Y'know the one lead by Sabellian, one of the last true sons of Deathwing. In the Outlands they are more reasonable and not under Old God influence as the Old Gods who corrupted their flight literally is nowhere around. They have full control, are not evil and do not follow Deathwing or his ideals anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    I REPEAT, what about the WHOLE BROOD of black dragons in the Outlands? Y'know the one lead by Sabellian, one of the last true sons of Deathwing. In the Outlands they are more reasonable and not under Old God influence as the Old Gods who corrupted their flight literally is nowhere around. They have full control, are not evil and do not follow Deathwing or his ideals anymore.
    We don't know whether Sabellian is under Old God influence or not. We were helping him kill Gruul's sons, of course he would be nice to us.

And we don't know much about dragon physiology. AFAIK, we don't know how long it takes for them to mature, or develop the ability to take on mortal forms. Wrathion is a special case, due to all that experimentation done on him. Not 100% sure though, I'm sure you can work something out with lenient roleplaying partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

There's a very quick explanation for why I'm not considering the Outland dragons at all. It'll be the conclusion at the end of the block of text I'm about to write. But I figure it's an interesting enough subject nonetheless to dive into, now that it's been pointed out twice.

Do we know if the Black Dragonflight in Outland still hears the voices of the Old Gods?
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that they cannot. However I am unable to find that source, so I'll have to call that "unconfirmed" for now.
    But for the purpose of this discussion, I'll consent with bobthecrop that the Outland black dragons are free from Old God voices controlling them.
    What effect would that have?

Basically, they'd be less mad and unpredictable. More guided by their own will.
    However, there is no evidence to support this makes them pure, or good, or even cures them of insanity. Deathwing was on Outland. He certainly didn't revert to Neltharion, repent his actions, and take up the mantle of Earthwarder again. There is no evidence that an Outland black dragon is any less corrupt. Any less evil in end goals and motivations. The Black Dragonflight has been twisted, darkened, corrupted. It's true, the direct hold of the Old Gods being absent, may make them more easy to purify. The Nether Dragons, who had their energies and essence transmuted by the Twisting Nether's energies, certainly seem capable of benevolence, once they gain understanding of it.

A big problem however, is that you're no less susceptible to the voices of the Old Gods, once you're back in range. Even if we captured Sabellian, drained all the foulness and dark essence, and taught him valuable lessons about compassion and redemption, he remains a creature whose mind, nature and essence have been compromised. There is no reason to assume the Old Gods wouldn't control any black dragon that crosses the Dark Portal back to Azeroth, immediately. Black dragons remain the pawn of the Old Gods, unless subjected to some hardcore Titan purification, which we've only seen succeed for 2 whelplings.

Even if we were to assume that, after a dozen years in Outland, the Black Dragonflight under Sabellian have somehow become good. No longer following Deathwing's ideals. Fully sane. Not evil. You're still left with the biggest hurdle of all:

Who would want to roleplay a dragon character confined to just Outland? I don't think anyone would truly be interested in that as a major RP character. Hence it was not elaborated on in my previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    A big problem however, is that you're no less susceptible to the voices of the Old Gods, once you're back in range. Even if we captured Sabellian, drained all the foulness and dark essence, and taught him valuable lessons about compassion and redemption, he remains a creature whose mind, nature and essence have been compromised. There is no reason to assume the Old Gods wouldn't control any black dragon that crosses the Dark Portal back to Azeroth, immediately. Black dragons remain the pawn of the Old Gods, unless subjected to some hardcore Titan purification, which we've only seen succeed for 2 whelplings.
    What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

We don't really know how Old God corruption works. We can't say for sure that Sabellian will get recorrupted once he returns to Azeroth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

I am not currently in an RP server so I only RP in LFG pugs. What annoys me most than anynthing is when we spent like an hour looking for people willing to fit the scripted roles that the leader came up with (ex: wait 20 minutes for someone who wants to be a princess) I doubt anyone really cared specifically about RPing with a random princess.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the subject of ERP I've found that a little common sense goes a long way. To use some personal examples

My mage. Common goldshire resident and D+ mage, accredited by the skin of her teeth and uninvolved in broad game events
    Pally undergeared and disconnected from the wider world due to being banished to Shatt and having defied that edict in the recent past
    Shaman is a straight-up criminal, a kneebreaker for dwarven organised crime thanks to generations of stigma
    and the warlock. Embittered due to being both a lock and a gnome now more or less retired after demon hunters showed up with way less backlash
    Wrath baby and proud of it