Would this be capable of running Legion at Ultra? If not, how high? Changes?

I posted this on Reddit but I figured I should post it here too where there are more WoW-savvy people around,

Budget - ~$800 - ~$1000
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired: Pretty much just WoW: Legion, as high as possible within my budget range. I don't play many other pc games aside from a few on Steam that aren't particularly intensive, but maybe I would if I had a new rig.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Nope
    Parts that can be reused: N/A
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Monitor, keyboard (have a mouse), speakers. Included in my list/budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.38 @ Newegg)
    Memory: *G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: *Team DARK L3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: *Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($36.59 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $983.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 16:56 EDT-0400

I'm entirely new to the concept of building my own pc, as I've relied on "gaming" laptops for years now, just wanting to upgrade for Legion at higher settings and wondering if this rig is capable of running it at Ultra, or if not, how high. And if there's anything I can remove or change that's extraneous. Would it be worth getting a 1060 instead?

The reason for the abundance of Newegg is that I'd like to use paypal credit for the 6 months no-interest, as much as possible from one source (hoping/assuming they bump up my credit limit when I go to purchase, which they should)

Also if there's anything essential I'm missing such as other peripherals or parts, let me know. Any other cables or tools I should be aware of/need? I sorta used pcpartpicker's modest build as a base for this. I don't plan on overclocking anything. Thanks!
    Last edited by RebelElite791; 2016-08-08 at 08:56 PM.

Blizzard games do really prefer Nvidia, i would highly suggest 1060 over RX 480, not that there will be massive difference, but its "safer", especially for Blizzard games.

You seem to be wasting 80$ on a case, i would suggest a 40$ case like the Corsair Spec and with those extra 40$ i would buy a 23-24' monitor which they start from 105-110$ ASUS again basically.

As example : http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CWFP...monitor-vx238h 1ms and everything.

Out of the 35-30$ left i would get a Crucial BX200 instead of the Teamgroup SSD and the rest 10-20$ should cover the difference between 480 and 1060, the EVGA one goes for 239 or 249 so.

Also, Coolermaster Devastator is CRAP, its ultimate CRAPSTATIC.

The keyboard can be tolerated but the mouse is the worst possible crap ever created, any 5$ mouse is the same/better.

Save yourself the money and simply dont buy it and buy something else.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-08-08 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Blizzard games do really prefer Nvidia, i would highly suggest 1060 over RX 480, not that there will be massive difference, but its "safer", especially for Blizzard games.

You seem to be wasting 80$ on a case, i would suggest a 40$ case like the Corsair Spec and with those extra 40$ i would buy a 23-24' monitor which they start from 105-110$ ASUS again basically.

As example : http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CWFP...monitor-vx238h 1ms and everything.

Out of the 35-30$ left i would get a Crucial BX200 instead of the Teamgroup SSD and the rest 10-20$ should cover the difference between 480 and 1060, the EVGA one goes for 239 or 249 so.

The keyboard can be tolerated but the mouse is the worst possible crap ever created, any 5$ mouse is the same/better.

Lol, yeah I just kinda added the keyboard so I could see a price estimate and it seemed to have decent reviews on Amazon, but I'll definitely take your advice there. Any keyboards you recommend? Mouse isn't as big a deal as I have a cheap Logitech that works fine for the time being.

Something like this then?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.38 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($112.98 @ Newegg)
    Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $941.24
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 17:17 EDT-0400

Yes that looks better..There are a few changes i would -recommend- but it would push your budget and not sure if you want that.

Basically Skylake CPU's (i5 6500) etc, really like faster RAM, and the price between cheaper and faster RAM is down to 10$ in most cases therefor at least at the PC's i build myself i always recommend Z170 and faster RAM for that very reason.

If your budget allows it i would go for it, if it doesnt it shouldnt matter much, thats solid.

10+ Year Old Account

I have NVIDIA video cards on both my boxes so this isn't coming from an NVIDIA vs AMD bullshit.

But as a person who worked in the IT field for 10 years, can you provide me with concrete data that supports this claim: "BLIZZARD GAMES DO REALLY PREFER NVIDIA"

I feel like my eye twitched a little when I read that. And im wondering how it is you came to this conclusion. Like what concrete facts?

And "well my nvidia has never had a problem" or "I have 9 AMD boxes and 1 nvidia box and the only one that works is the NVIDIA one" aren't examples of concrete data. Im looking for tests ran from companies that support this claim.

Yes that looks better..There are a few changes i would -recommend- but it would push your budget and not sure if you want that.

Basically Skylake CPU's (i5 6500) etc, really like faster RAM, and the price between cheaper and faster RAM is down to 10$ in most cases therefor at least at the PC's i build myself i always recommend Z170 and faster RAM for that very reason.

If your budget allows it i would go for it, if it doesnt it shouldnt matter much, thats solid.
    Forgive my complete ignorance, but how do I tell what the speed of the RAM in question is? Or do you have a specific choice you'd recommend going with?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231886

Is something like that a better speed/quality?

Deleted
    Are you sure you don't want to overclock? It's not that difficult, but it does add some extra costs since you'll need a decent CPU cooler, and an i5-6600k + z170 motherboard instead of the components you now have.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...ecking/cuyuhhy for some insight on the effect it has on MMOs. Annoyingly enough I can't find good benchmarks that compare performance in MMOs based on clockspeed/overclocking, but the point still stands.

The speed of the RAM is usually listed in the name. The last one you linked is "DDR4 2400", which means its clockspeed is 2400 MHz. It depends on what you're doing whether you'll notice a difference between various speeds, but in general most normal users really won't notice it. If you're interested, there are also other variations within RAM modules, for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...le_difference/ + https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topi...atency-9-vs-11

Those are just minor factors though, the most important factor for your RAM is it's actual memory size (4gb at minimum).

Ended up getting a bit more expensive, lol, but this is the current build I'm looking at after some heavy iterating with Reddit,

Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.39 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($284.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: LG 23MP57HQ-P 23.0" 60Hz Monitor ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1084.25
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 20:09 EDT-0400
    Last edited by RebelElite791; 2016-08-09 at 12:09 AM.

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($65.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: AOC E2425SWD 24.0" 60Hz Monitor ($116.77 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($36.59 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $986.12
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 20:39 EDT-0400
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I have NVIDIA video cards on both my boxes so this isn't coming from an NVIDIA vs AMD bullshit.

But as a person who worked in the IT field for 10 years, can you provide me with concrete data that supports this claim: "BLIZZARD GAMES DO REALLY PREFER NVIDIA"

I feel like my eye twitched a little when I read that. And im wondering how it is you came to this conclusion. Like what concrete facts?

And "well my nvidia has never had a problem" or "I have 9 AMD boxes and 1 nvidia box and the only one that works is the NVIDIA one" aren't examples of concrete data. Im looking for tests ran from companies that support this claim.
    Do you remeber that awesome period 10 years ago where the games had the "Nvidia" or "AMD" logo at their intros? Yes? Any gamer would.

Blizzard engines, especially WoW was made with that logic, there was a gain back for having a Nvidia card, as i already mentioned "There isnt a massive difference" its just safer, i clearly remember it in the days of GT 7600 and so on, that awesome period of 2006-2006, it kept going for a couple more years, think it stopped with DX11 patch, now it mostly makes no difference, but Nvidia has better drivers for Blizzard games.

From personal experience mostly, there are no facts, i just had a better experience with nvidia and Blizzard games in every single PC i have built or tested, living in Greece with tons of net cafes running machines from 2007 to 2016 lets you test lots of stuff whenever you want.

Most problems were driver related though, and thats where i prefer Nvidia over AMD for Blizzard games, there seems to be better communication between the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you remeber that awesome period 10 years ago where the games had the "Nvidia" or "AMD" logo at their intros? Yes? Any gamer would.

Blizzard engines, especially WoW was made with that logic, there was a gain back for having a Nvidia card, as i already mentioned "There isnt a massive difference" its just safer, i clearly remember it in the days of GT 7600 and so on, that awesome period of 2006-2006, it kept going for a couple more years, think it stopped with DX11 patch, now it mostly makes no difference, but Nvidia has better drivers for Blizzard games.

From personal experience mostly, there are no facts, i just had a better experience with nvidia and Blizzard games in every single PC i have built or tested, living in Greece with tons of net cafes running machines from 2007 to 2016 lets you test lots of stuff whenever you want.

Most problems were driver related though, and thats where i prefer Nvidia over AMD for Blizzard games, there seems to be better communication between the two.
    So you base your information off a logo that a company paid another company to display.

Just to clarify, you would support ISIS if it paid a Children's Hospital to put an ISIS logo on Children's Hospital publications?

So you base your information off a logo that a company paid another company to display.

Just to clarify, you would support ISIS if it paid a Children's Hospital to put an ISIS logo on Children's Hospital publications?
    Meh, not gonna bite, its 6am, and frankly you are an irrelevant scrub so couldnt care less about you, i just answered out of kindness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, not gonna bite, its 6am, and frankly you are an irrelevant scrub so couldnt care less about you, i just answered out of kindness.
    Are you saying that Blizzard games DONT prefer NVIDIA and your entire statement has no basis?

Or are you saying that you have no argument and you cant be bothered to formulate a valid argument that backs up what you claimed.

If its the former, how can O.P. really trust anything else you have to say? How can he go with your "facts" without hard data? This is OP's cash we're talking about here. Im sure he didn't find this money off the street. You're essentially playing with someones finances. Think about that for a moment.

Unless you think of everyone here(including OP) as an irrelevant scrub who you just fed lies to, then O.P. I'd say proceed with caution.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2016-08-09 at 04:23 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are you saying that Blizzard games DONT prefer NVIDIA and your entire statement has no basis?

Or are you saying that you have no argument and you cant be bothered to formulate a valid argument that backs up what you claimed.

If its the former, how can O.P. really trust anything else you have to say? How can he go with your "facts" without hard data? This is OP's cash we're talking about here. Im sure he didn't find this money off the street. You're essentially playing with someones finances. Think about that for a moment.

Unless you think of everyone here(including OP) as an irrelevant scrub who you just fed lies to, then O.P. I'd say proceed with caution.
    Wow, that escalated quickly!!

I think the answer you are looking for is from the benchmark results. For the past several generations of cards, at similar price range, nvidia cards almost always performed better compared to their AMD counterpart for WoW. Hence why people are generally suggesting to get a nvidia card.

If you compare the 1060 versus 480 benchmarks shown in the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...GTX-1060/page3

you will notice that the 480 is doing 78.8 and 114.4 fps at 1440p and 1080p respectively, compared to 100.8 and 146.4 fps for the nvidia 1060.

Now people can argue whether both are equivalent, but considering that people building a computer right now are often juggling between those 2 cards, I think it makes sense to recommend going down the nvidia route (the 1060) if you are going to play mostly WoW.
    Last edited by Mikah; 2016-08-09 at 02:43 PM.

It actually really is true, on the lower end of things, like if comparing $100 Cards from 2 generations ago. However, with the current gen, while yeah, there may be a 10-15% Max FPS advantage to the 1060 over the 480, as soon as you hit a CPU-Bound situation, the GPU ceases to matter at all. A 480 is more than powerful enough for WoW and a 1060 is not really safer in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    Wow, that escalated quickly!!

I think the answer you are looking for is from the benchmark results. For the past several generations of cards, at similar price range, nvidia cards almost always performed better compared to their AMD counterpart for WoW. Hence why people are generally suggesting to get a nvidia card.

If you compare the 1060 versus 480 benchmarks shown in the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...GTX-1060/page3

you will notice that the 480 is doing 78.8 and 114.4 fps at 1440p and 1080p respectively, compared to 100.8 and 146.4 fps for the nvidia 1060.

Now people can argue whether both are equivalent, but considering that people building a computer right now are often juggling between those 2 cards, I think it makes sense to recommend going down the nvidia route (the 1060) if you are going to play mostly WoW.
    Seeing as both are over the 60FPS mark and that once you get in to a CPU-Bound situation neither are going to achieve the numbers listed in that benchmark, it makes much more sense to suggest the one that will perform better in the myriad of games coming out over the next couple years that will have better DX12 support and run better on the 480. In addition, a freesync monitor is cheaper than a G-sync monitor and freesync can make those drops below 60 in CPU bound situations look a lot smoother.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Seeing as both are over the 60FPS mark and that once you get in to a CPU-Bound situation neither are going to achieve the numbers listed in that benchmark, it makes much more sense to suggest the one that will perform better in the myriad of games coming out over the next couple years that will have better DX12 support and run better on the 480. In addition, a freesync monitor is cheaper than a G-sync monitor and freesync can make those drops below 60 in CPU bound situations look a lot smoother.
    I would still suggest the one that performs better with WoW, since he is going to be playing mostly that. At least if he upgrades his monitor down the road, he will be better set with the best card for it.

Either way, my suggestion to anyone buying a budget card would be to get the one that perform better now, not one that may be slightly better two years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I would still suggest the one that performs better with WoW, since he is going to be playing mostly that. At least if he upgrades his monitor down the road, he will be better set with the best card for it.

Either way, my suggestion to anyone buying a budget card would be to get the one that perform better now, not one that may be slightly better two years down the road.
    But again, once you are past 60 FPS in WoW, which either card is easily capable of, it doesn't matter. Since he is likely using a 1080p 60hz monitor, that "better performance" is not even able to be displayed on his monitor. If he does want to get a better monitor down the road, Freesync monitors are much less expensive than G-Sync Monitors. So going with the AMD option is the better choice.