Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not after first offense, but it would be documented.
    Second time would probably get them a Final Warning.

Deleted
    i used to be a truck driver & after doing my deliveries, i rang up to ask where the next job was as i worked away all week?
    they told me there was nothing atm, so get my head down & they'll ring me when something came through.
    that company, even though they were bastards to work for, actually encouraged it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    What? You would understand if people whose sole purpose is to SAVE LIVES can SLEEP ON THE JOB!?
    Yes. Them being well-rested so they don't make fatigue-induced errors in said job is important.

As long as they wake up when called into action.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

What? You would understand if people whose sole purpose is to SAVE LIVES can SLEEP ON THE JOB!?

Holy shit, man. Holy shit.
    A well rested paramedic is more likely to save somebody's life than a tired one.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A well rested paramedic is more likely to save somebody's life than a tired one.
    Yes, and significantly more likely than a sleeping one. Hell, even a puppy has a better chance than a sleeping paramedic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes. Them being well-rested so they don't make fatigue-induced errors in said job is important.

As long as they wake up when called into action.
    That's a pretty significant if.

Yes, and significantly more likely than a sleeping one. Hell, even a puppy has a better chance than a sleeping paramedic.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a pretty significant if.
    Paramedics generally have alarms for when they are needed, similar to fire and ambulance crews.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a first time offense definitely not.

But then again it depends on the job and the circumstances.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    Depends on the job. Is it a sort of hurry up and wait thing, where you just have to be available if needed? Then no.

If otherwise, I'd ask them if they were ill and needed to take the day off to see a doctor. if not, a warning. If happens again, sacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the job, context, and employees worth ethic.

If you're working at a fast food place and orders aren't getting processed because you're in the back sleeping next to the potatoes then you're probably going to get fired.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Obviously not. What kind of garbage job must you be working if you're gonna fire someone just for one nap.

Not like they're at the helm of a nuclear reactor or something.
    If you're working at a fast-paced law firm and you fall asleep when you're supposed to be filing legal documents, they sure as shit will fire your ass and rightfully so. Your attitude just shows what a shitty kind of employee you are. I wouldn't even hire you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I take naps at work all the time. I took a short nap today waiting for a meeting to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    If you're working at a fast-paced law firm and you fall asleep when you're supposed to be filing legal documents, they sure as shit will fire your ass and rightfully so. Your attitude just shows what a shitty kind of employee you are. I wouldn't even hire you.
    It shows you guys aren't in the right fields. Some of us are actually able to have good jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on what type of job we are talking about.

What the job is matters. But most importantly is was there something really to be done at the time and no not the "you can always find something to do" type of shit. I mean do you have an assignment in need of being completed. Are there poeple depending on you at the moment (waiting on you, seeking your assistance, or are you able to help someone like a customer for examples). If all of that falls really far down on the scale I likely wouldn't fire them. Certainly not on the first offense. But I would certainly wake them up and ask them what the fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It shows you guys aren't in the right fields. Some of us are actually able to have good jobs.
    Working in a legal field IS a good job; if you're working in that kind of high-pressure environment, you're also getting paid well. Some jobs actually require giving it 100% of your time and effort. Hell, almost all of them do. If your job is so laid back that you can take a nap and nobody will care, that means that what you do isn't very fucking important. Some of us actually like having jobs that matter.

Holy shit, man. Holy shit.
    I have a friend thats a EMT and works overnight shifts. I can confirm they do sleep if there is no calls. Normally they have a few people awake doing various chores around the station and they kinda rotate doing that and grabbing some sleep. So there is always people up if the alarm goes off.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Working in a legal field IS a good job; if you're working in that kind of high-pressure environment, you're also getting paid well. Some jobs actually require giving it 100% of your time and effort. Hell, almost all of them do. If your job is so laid back that you can take a nap and nobody will care, that means that what you do isn't very fucking important. Some of us actually like having jobs that matter.
    Not if you get fired so easily. The smart thing to do is get a job with security. That way if you had a rough night and fall asleep, you won't get instafired.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    Not for one offense but repeated? Very likely. Granted I'd talk to them beforehand just to see if there is maybe problems at home or something keeping them from getting proper rest of a night.

But that's where honesty becomes an important factor.

in short....

First time, id sent them home with no pay. Second time, you're fired

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post
    I have a friend thats a EMT and works overnight shifts. I can confirm they do sleep if there is no calls. Normally they have a few people awake doing various chores around the station and they kinda rotate doing that and grabbing some sleep. So there is always people up if the alarm goes off.
    There's a difference between "at work" and "on call." Being on call is not at work.