So, Tanks at 110...

How are they?

I flicked through the PvP Beta forums a while back, saw cries about how broken they are. In the time since then, those threads stopped after an apparently hefty nerf and now I'm just wondering whether Blizzard just reverted and went "oh sod it, Tanks won't work, screw 'em" which wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm considering going Blood as a focus in Legion, mostly because Frost feels awful now and as fun as Unholy is I've never enjoyed its thematic. I'm just wondering whether or not it's pointless as somebody who predominantly PvP's and I'd be better off getting the Frost or Unholy artifact done first?

Prot specs foe both warriors and Paladins are far superior to their dps counterparts in pvp. Prot war brings more survivability, mobility and utility than both arms and fury and can burst almost just as high. Prot pally puts ret to shame again with mobility, survivability, and utility though it's not quite as bursty.

I can't speak to the other tanks. In terms of how powerful they are as a whole, I don't think they still compare to leather melee. Feral, sub and ww monk are just stupidly broken atm. Again not sure how DH are faring in the grand scheme of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

This was the case right before WoD launched. Prot specs were out of control, it won't stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kroniks View Post
    This was the case right before WoD launched. Prot specs were out of control, it won't stay that way.
    Blizzard has stated and are working towards, tanks being viable in PvP.

So no, this isn't like WoD.

That said, anyone try DH tanks?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

They said the same thing at WoD, so yes it is like WoD.

You must be new?

That said, viable does not = OP/better than DPS counterpart.

Letting wishful thinking get the best of you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Blizzard has stated and are working towards, tanks being viable in PvP.

So no, this isn't like WoD.

That said, anyone try DH tanks?
    "Tanks in PvP

Finally, we have the topic of tanks in PvP. Apart from a few niche cases like flag carrying; tanks have been intentionally non-viable in serious PvP for several expansions now. The reason for this was simple: fighting against tanks was very frustrating, not fun. They were near-invincible, had numerous CC abilities (primary stuns), but did little enough damage to not be able to kill you (in most cases, anyway). By excluding them from PvP, we preserved the enjoyment of the rest of the playerbase. However, that has the obvious downside that people who prefer to play tanks are excluded from doing so in PvP.

We decided that we could do better, and satisfy everyone involved. Our other changes to tanks in Warlords of Draenor got us most of the way there. Tanks’ damage will already be tuned to be somewhat weaker than damage dealers, but not trivial. We’ve already removed the additional CC that they had during the CC Disarmament and Ability Pruning. All that remains that makes them frustrating to fight against is their invincibility. So, we’re causing tanks to take increased damage in PvP, so that the net result is that they both deal and take somewhat less damage than damage dealers.

Tanks now take 25% additional damage while engaged in PvP combat."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/13423478

-From WoD

They are trying it again with legion, they will not stay at the OP level they are at. That is a fact

Quote Originally Posted by kroniks View Post
    They said the same thing at WoD, so yes it is like WoD.

You must be new?

That said, viable does not = OP/better than DPS counterpart.

Letting wishful thinking get the best of you!

- - - Updated - - -

"Tanks in PvP

Finally, we have the topic of tanks in PvP. Apart from a few niche cases like flag carrying; tanks have been intentionally non-viable in serious PvP for several expansions now. The reason for this was simple: fighting against tanks was very frustrating, not fun. They were near-invincible, had numerous CC abilities (primary stuns), but did little enough damage to not be able to kill you (in most cases, anyway). By excluding them from PvP, we preserved the enjoyment of the rest of the playerbase. However, that has the obvious downside that people who prefer to play tanks are excluded from doing so in PvP.

We decided that we could do better, and satisfy everyone involved. Our other changes to tanks in Warlords of Draenor got us most of the way there. Tanks’ damage will already be tuned to be somewhat weaker than damage dealers, but not trivial. We’ve already removed the additional CC that they had during the CC Disarmament and Ability Pruning. All that remains that makes them frustrating to fight against is their invincibility. So, we’re causing tanks to take increased damage in PvP, so that the net result is that they both deal and take somewhat less damage than damage dealers.

Tanks now take 25% additional damage while engaged in PvP combat."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/13423478

-From WoD

They are trying it again with legion, they will not stay at the OP level they are at. That is a fact
    I dont think you know what the word "fact" means. Hell, first thing you need to do is establish that the tanks were OP in the first place. Outside of pub stomping, I don't recall tanks being any more OP than anyone else in Legion beta.

In WoD the stated goal was simply making them not trounce everyone else. They had few tools to do this so just blanket nerfed them.

In Legion they can selectively buff or nerf all stats. Plus, tanks have their own talent trees.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-08-11 at 02:30 PM.

According to the PvP interview Blizzard did on Legion, they said that while they want tanks to be viable, they don't want 3k teams to be running them.

They're aiming for "good enough", but not quite top-tier. You can expect them to keep tweaking the templates until they've hit that spot.

Edit: The sad part about it was that you could hear their reasoning for this being that people just didn't feel tank-specs "belonged" in PvP...never really heard Blizzard cave so openly to parts of the community.
    Last edited by GrumpyJester; 2016-08-11 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried fury at 110 and ITS FUCKING TERRIBLE !!!! WORST ITS EVER BEEN !!!!
    Since always hated arms i only got Prot for some pvp fun.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

If level 100 is any indication, Blood is problematic. They were okay before because of the amount of self healing and CDS they had but now the self healing is rather pathetic and there are effectively no CDs outside of AMS to slow incoming damage from players. The damage is not terrible, but almost every single 1v1 versus a regular dps I barely come out on top. It used to be that I could 1v1 most anything as blood but now the survival bonus is just not really there. So for DKs at least you are better off as unholy or frost.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    According to the PvP interview Blizzard did on Legion, they said that while they want tanks to be viable, they don't want 3k teams to be running them.
    They meant that you can not que in arena with more than 1 tank spec in your grp.

- - - Updated - - -

At 110 atm Prot War and Prot Pally are like one of the duel specs if not the best if plaid right with proper talent trees.

Even on live where tanks are not that OP (partly due to lack of their pvp trees) Prot Pally already out preforming Ret in survival, utility, mobility and dmg is on par with Rets

Deleted
    Tanks Are fine for pvp- which also means blood is fine.
    However... By pvp you mean random battlegrounds ? If you aim for high rated arena, then no. It was mentioned in one of those Q&A that you would probably not see tanks in high rated arena. Because they are "tanks" it means they got a lot of survivability but don't have as high burst as dps, and therefore they can't secure the kill that will make them win.

Been playing around with tanks in alpha and beta - and all of them seems fine now play the one you like the most, but don't count on a high arena rating with any of them

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Tanks Are fine for pvp- which also means blood is fine.
    However... By pvp you mean random battlegrounds ? If you aim for high rated arena, then no. It was mentioned in one of those Q&A that you would probably not see tanks in high rated arena. Because they are "tanks" it means they got a lot of survivability but don't have as high burst as dps, and therefore they can't secure the kill that will make them win.

Been playing around with tanks in alpha and beta - and all of them seems fine now play the one you like the most, but don't count on a high arena rating with any of them
    Well if you watched yest Aveng's stream, he was running Prot/Shadow/MW and amount of control he had on his Prot is insane with push back and cc, they faced some multi glad/r1 teams and beated them. Ofcourse tanks wont compete at Blizzcon, but yest Aveng showed in his stream that his Prot was at least Glad capable.

Also with Rogue's sprint nerf, i think tanks will be good at FCing again, so some tank classes like DH or Pally may be very good @ RBGs

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    They meant that you can not que in arena with more than 1 tank spec in your grp.

- - - Updated - - -

At 110 atm Prot War and Prot Pally are like one of the duel specs if not the best if plaid right with proper talent trees.

Even on live where tanks are not that OP (partly due to lack of their pvp trees) Prot Pally already out preforming Ret in survival, utility, mobility and dmg is on par with Rets
    Let's be fair, Ret is garbage in general right now. You'd be better off comparing any other tank spec with their classes DPS specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Let's be fair, Ret is garbage in general right now. You'd be better off comparing any other tank spec with their classes DPS specs.
    Lol true dat, you got me =), Ret is soo terrible atm i may quit mine after 9 years.

BUT well as i just posted on Ret forums, If you take 1 Negative thing (Ret) multiply it by another Negative thing (Holy Wrath talent) you get a positive thing: glad viable Ret comp: Gets and the Ladies I present you the Suicide Squad - 3x Rets with 3x HW lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxoQxCzbDYU

Anyone knows if tanks are good in rbg?

I'm not sure, but it looks like healers are terrible in pvp in legion and therefor someone who reduces the damage on the group could really help?

I'd love to play my bear in pvp, but I'm not sure if this makes sense in real rbgs.

Well all 5 plate DPS specs are mere shadows of what they were, so it isn't hard for the tank specs to outperform them. I have no idea if plate DPS will be as bad at 110, because even though they all have much of the damage and surivability tied up in artifacts/PVP talents, I suspect the same is true for all the wizards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Anyone knows if tanks are good in rbg?

I'm not sure, but it looks like healers are terrible in pvp in legion and therefor someone who reduces the damage on the group could really help?

I'd love to play my bear in pvp, but I'm not sure if this makes sense in real rbgs.
    Tanks are useless in instanced PVP. Overpowered in world pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Tanks are useless in instanced PVP. Overpowered in world pvp.
    Yeah, no. Useless maybe in rated pvp, but certainly not in pugs.