Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    Yeah it was interesting to see when I decided to sacrifice my own DH. Can someone who chose the NPC DH for sacrifice comment on what happens instead? I believe you have to choose between that same DH and another DH to be your follower at one point in time, is that NPC DH replaced with another DH character if he was sacrificed? Or does he also have a demon soul?
    if you kill the npc he just dies and you got the quest.
    he doesnt show up anymore, aka he doesnt have a demon soul.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yet it opens a can of worms that demon hunters don't just take on corruption, they take on a demon's soul? So they are quite literally not fel tainted or using fel energy to fight the fel, they are, quite simply, demons themselves now? Illidan was considered a little unique due to the Skull of Gul'dan transforming him to being more demonic than the average demon hunter, but this suggests that demon hunters are all demon souls in their elven bodies?

So what happened to the elf? Elf soul merged with demon soul? Both souls with elf soul in control? Etc, etc, etc.
    See this? This is why you should never say "soul" in your work of fiction ever. Similar principle, calling anything that isn't elusively evil a demon. The term "soul" implies the "intrinsic essence of a sentient being deserving of empathy" and at the same time "something that can be lost stolen or tarnished if you don't obey a certain morale framework". That is almost never what writers mean when they write about "souls" it's just magi-babble and/or an excuse to justify guiltless killing of the villains.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    players dying in game is literally non-canon its just a game thing like i.e falling/pvp/wipe, but when you killed yourself as a demon hunter, it actually happened ( game lorewise ), i did it, i thought that is not going to happen, but we know now that our demon hunter is demon or more so actual game death will send him back to the TN like what happened in that quest
    But what if we merely assumed this or alternately retcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I guess it's a band aid fix to explain how Illidan 'comes back' after we killed him in TBC?
    He was never killed in the Black Temple, only defeated and imprisoned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Nope. After the little backend forth between he and Maiev where she does her "I AM nothing..." speech, he's still alive. We then kill him so we can loot him. Now, they could argue that killing him is just gameplay so we could get loot, but they could have also done something like Maiev binding him and leaving a chest of rewards for us. So, he died in that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Every demon has an immortal demon soul... It's why they keep coming back. This was just an explanation as to how the player comes back to life, nothing else.
    No this is mostly wrong and really this should not have made it to live.

Demons and demon hunters(well some of them maybe it wasn't explained fully) can only die when either A) In the Twisting Nether or B) on a fel corrupted world/area

Illidan should have died on Outland by the right since it was in the nether.

The player character should also have died on Mardum since it's a legion world which counts the same. Illidan destroyed the Naztherim homeworld in the book and all of them are explained to be dead for good because the world is fel corrupted just like Argus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    He was and as of Legion is 100% dead.

Guldan is trying to use his corpse for Sargeras to have a new body on Azeroth with the Nightwell

- - - Updated - - -

players dying in game is literally non-canon its just a game thing like i.e falling/pvp/wipe, but when you killed yourself as a demon hunter, it actually happened ( game lorewise ), i did it, i thought that is not going to happen, but we know now that our demon hunter is demon or more so actual game death will send him back to the TN like what happened in that quest
    You were already in the TN. Mardum is in the TN and is a fel corrupted planet thus you should have died forever just like all the demons killed there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    a demon never truly dies.
    their souls get thrown back into the twisting nether there they gain a new body.

also, player deaths arent even canon.
    the only canon death so far is when we got backstabbed by arthas in wrath.
    Demons can die, it just has to be in the TN or somewhere with massive fel corruption. The devs said that Archimonde is now dead for good(the mythic part was canon just that they didn't make another cinematic.)

Yet it opens a can of worms that demon hunters don't just take on corruption, they take on a demon's soul? So they are quite literally not fel tainted or using fel energy to fight the fel, they are, quite simply, demons themselves now? Illidan was considered a little unique due to the Skull of Gul'dan transforming him to being more demonic than the average demon hunter, but this suggests that demon hunters are all demon souls in their elven bodies?

So what happened to the elf? Elf soul merged with demon soul? Both souls with elf soul in control? Etc, etc, etc.
    Demon hunters have a will of iron that prevents them from listening to the "whispers" (of the Legion) in their head, even though they infuse themselves with high amounts of fel. Atleast some of them, as we see in the DH start zone, some of them almost succumbed to the fel and one of them even blows up. After getting infused with enough fel, a DH's soul becomes a demon soul. It's overall a class based on personal sacrifice and incredible will to resist the Legion's whispers, that in the end comes with it's perks.

Shaman are also exceptions due to Reincarnation. They stare some of their souls in their totems. Similarly: Forsaken and Death Knights are also already "dead", but their souls have been returned to their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalus View Post
    as we see in the DH start zone, some of them almost succumbed to the fel and one of them even blows up.
    Man, Blizzard sure is on a "blow people up kick" with this expansion, huh? People gettin' blown up left and right and it's only pre-release. Bloodthirsty butchers!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    See this? This is why you should never say "soul" in your work of fiction ever. Similar principle, calling anything that isn't elusively evil a demon. The term "soul" implies the "intrinsic essence of a sentient being deserving of empathy" and at the same time "something that can be lost stolen or tarnished if you don't obey a certain morale framework". That is almost never what writers mean when they write about "souls" it's just magi-babble and/or an excuse to justify guiltless killing of the villains.
    Well when you're talking about the person's essence moving to an afterlife and coming back to this life, it's basically swimming, waddling, and quacking like a duck, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    That speech from Illidan cought me by surprise, I chose to kill my DH for lulz to see what happens.

I guess it's a band aid fix to explain how Illidan 'comes back' after we killed him in TBC?
    has an explanation in the Illidan novel

ngl I picked that option because I thought it would be funny if the character was outright deleted when you did

That's shown at the end of the video in the intial post. He's not either of the guys who's your second in command but he could be a less important follower in Class Halls perhaps? There doesn't seem to be any penalty for killing beyond missing a cool twist on a corpse run.
    Ohh I see, I confused him with the other blood elf, my bad. Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Not completely. It also explains why demons we've already killed are back alive again on the Broken Shore, or Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel for that matter.
    They had already established that before that demons go to the twisting nether when they die to reform. The only way to permanently kill demons is to do so in the twisting nether.

Not in-game though.

I don't think most people playing this game are aware of obscure dev tweets of over a year ago.
    I think that may have been established actually in wc3.

Man, Blizzard sure is on a "blow people up kick" with this expansion, huh? People gettin' blown up left and right and it's only pre-release. Bloodthirsty butchers!

- - - Updated - - -

Well when you're talking about the person's essence moving to an afterlife and coming back to this life, it's basically swimming, waddling, and quacking like a duck, so...
    My point is that it's usually got nothing to do with any specific tradition or belief system. Authors today make a stew of everything from Norse to Neo-Pagan beliefs when making a settings mythology. The Demon Hunters are not "evil" or "going to hell" because there isn't one, in Warcraft the Twisting Nether where the Legion hangs is clearly Outer Space and not all of the demons are morally one-dimensional or servitors of Not-Satan.

What I'm saying is the duck is a platypus.

Not in-game though.

I don't think most people playing this game are aware of obscure dev tweets of over a year ago.
    It was in wiki's, it was mentioned ingame in certain quests, it was discussed in forums, comics had it, novels had it etc etc.

Demons come back from the nether
    Warlocks have soulstones
    Could just be a tongue in cheek comment for the lulz

i probs wouldnt read too much into it, but could be an interesting area to explore

this suggests that demon hunters are all demon souls in their elven bodies?
    That's not really the implication, though. Illidan was surprised that you have an immortal demon soul, like him, calling it "interesting". When you talk to Sevis Brightflame later, he says "Now, you must tell me how you survived. I killed you! It would seem the rumors about you are true... you're nearly as powerful as Illidan". And, if you choose to sacrifice him, Sevis doesn't return.

So, Illidan remains a little unique among demon hunters. It's just that you are as well, for some reason.
    Last edited by Dispraise; 2016-08-16 at 05:53 AM.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Yeah, my bad. I was drunk last night and actually thinking of the whole "Burning Legion transcends dimensions and realities bla bla" thing instead.
    yeah that was a quite iffy, there were just so many better ways to go about it or explain it.

Deleted
    Kay, explain how something in a main questline "isn't cannon"? Anyway if you look at the rest of what I said I posited and to be honest favor the theory that this has simply always been something he was capable of. If he only realized the ability after consuming the skull it would be a reasonable leap of logic. I'd go so far as to further extrapolate he may have died before he changed. War is chaotic it stands to reason he could have had even a few "close calls" and simply come up with a different explanation having never realizing he'd truly died. It's unlikely but it sounds cool. Raise your hands if your also writing this fanfic?
    Which main quest-line are you talking about where a paladin has to die and then corpse-run?
    Did you skip the part where i only responded to (A)-point of the post?

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Every demon has an immortal demon soul... It's why they keep coming back. This was just an explanation as to how the player comes back to life, nothing else.
    If i'm not mistaken, if you kill a demon in the nether he dies for good.