Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

End game tanking

How are brewmaster and vengence looking late game? Will there be too many demon hunters for me to find a tank spot in a guild? I heard brewmaster tanking wasnt in too good of a state. Any advice from people that have been on beta thanks.
    Semper Fi

Generally speaking, it sounds like current 110 rankings are:

Bears > DKs > Warriors >>>> Pallys >> DH/Monk

That being said, all are totally viable in terms of mythic tanking. These rankings really only apply for ultra-competitive raiding guilds. The average guild shouldn't have too much trouble with any class tank.

Slootbag talked about this on his stream like 2 nights ago, and he said that for world first progression right now it's looking like paladins, bears and warriors are the best, with DKs DHs and monks lagging behind a bit.

The tank balance is all actually extremely close right now. Obviously a world first guild will bring the best tank, even if that tank is only 0.1% better than the worst tank. Unless you're in a top 10 guild, balance between the tanks is probably not worth worrying about at this time. Play what you're best at, what you enjoy the most, or what will best fill out your guild's roster.

DHs and monks are definitely the weakest tanks atm. DHs are great for dungeon tanking but for raids they're pretty weak.

As for getting a DH spot in a guild I'd say it's prett slim. When there is a new class those spots usually go to re-rollers within the guild. Especially if it's around the top 200 guilds in the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    How are brewmaster and vengence looking late game? Will there be too many demon hunters for me to find a tank spot in a guild? I heard brewmaster tanking wasnt in too good of a state. Any advice from people that have been on beta thanks.
    i would even say this: it wil lbe a matter of combination of tank/heal.

in prepatch i had the feeling that protpally + druid healer is just like the worst ever combination.

pallys health drops and fills quickly, while ther druid is ratherl ike a continous healer.

id even say that protpally+holypally is good and bear+restoration. rather than other way round. (holypaladin will have a lot of overhealing on bears which is still better than resto+protpally)

resto + monktank could work fine cause with correct staggering the druidhealer will ahve time to apply all hots before stagger gets to much and such. it will be a amtter of correct combinations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    DHs and monks are definitely the weakest tanks atm. DHs are great for dungeon tanking but for raids they're pretty weak.

As for getting a DH spot in a guild I'd say it's prett slim. When there is a new class those spots usually go to re-rollers within the guild. Especially if it's around the top 200 guilds in the world.
    I loled.

10/ char

Quote Originally Posted by Kayn View Post
    I loled.

10/ char
    Good for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

The tank balance is all actually extremely close right now. Obviously a world first guild will bring the best tank, even if that tank is only 0.1% better than the worst tank.
    Even the best guilds in the world often don't pick the best tanks, see method in Blackrock foundry and hellfire citadel.

Quote Originally Posted by Willus View Post
    Even the best guilds in the world often don't pick the best tanks, see method in Blackrock foundry and hellfire citadel.
    Unless they're super broken tanks are more about picking the player than the class.

Deleted
    Unless they're super broken tanks are more about picking the player than the class.
    Of course, totally agree. But that doesn't usually apply when you're talking about the same high standard player choosing a different class based on its power, he can play any tank spec as well as another.

While that did most certainly happen, it's pretty telling that Sco is no longer with them. It's pretty obvious that his inflexibility held the team back to one degree or another. I don't like criticizing players that have infinitely more world first experience than me, but take Blackhand for example. When the monk is tanking, he takes basically no damage. A spike is him losing ~20% of his health, while Sco is getting trucked constantly.

The top level of competition is gonna be even more competitive in Legion, and I have no doubt that Serenity's tanks will select what they think to be the best class as of August 30th.

Of course, totally agree. But that doesn't usually apply when you're talking about the same high standard player choosing a different class based on its power, he can play any tank spec as well as another.
    As someone who's gotten a few world firsts under my belt (Forte and SK Gaming). I can tell you that, when it comes to tanks you pick what you feel the most comfortable with. Which usually is your main. My WFs came long before splits runs but there were cases when people had to raid with alts due to they were better for some encounters. Most people had alts geared for the new tier even back then. When you're at that level of raiding dps is the most crucial part since you're under geared and it's the most common reason why you keep failing on a boss. If a tank keeps dying it's most likely a healing issue or a broken encounter.

If you're taking about Sco, he's Sco and the GM and raids with what he pleases I guess

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayn View Post
    I loled.

10/ char

A DH with a stats of a dps ofc will suck. I tank Mythic HFC on 712 ilevel and I am just doing fine on alt runs

Deleted
    As someone who's gotten a few world firsts under my belt (Forte and SK Gaming). I can tell you that, when it comes to tanks you pick what you feel the most comfortable with. Which usually is your main. My WFs came long before splits runs but there were cases when people had to raid with alts due to they were better for some encounters. Most people had alts geared for the new tier even back then. When you're at that level of raiding dps is the most crucial part since you're under geared and it's the most common reason why you keep failing on a boss. If a tank keeps dying it's most likely a healing issue or a broken encounter.

If you're taking about Sco, he's Sco and the GM and raids with what he pleases I guess
    There are examples of guild tanks simply picking the best ones, because they can play them all well. Paragon in foundry, sloot in hfc. As for the Sco hate, I'm not gonna say he's the best tank in the world, but how many world firsts did he get whilst often playing a sub par class and supposedly not being amazing? There is a lot more riggle room for tank spec choice then many think, even at the very highest level.

Edit, quoting you was misleading cos I see you recognise dps is the main factor in progression, not tank choice. That part of my post was directed at the other guy who quoted me
    Last edited by mmoc6659c7e499; 2016-08-15 at 05:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    None of it matters at all, unless you're in the race for world first. And if you are, then you already know what to pick.

Play whichever seems like fun.

There are examples of guild tanks simply picking the best ones, because they can play them all well. Paragon in foundry, sloot in hfc. As for the Sco hate, I'm not gonna say he's the best tank in the world, but how many world firsts did he get whilst often playing a sub par class and supposedly not being amazing? There is a lot more riggle room for tank spec choice then many think, even at the very highest level.

Edit, quoting you was misleading cos I see you recognise dps is the main factor in progression, not tank choice. That part of my post was directed at the other guy who quoted me
    I don't hate Sco, on the contrary I really like him since he's a nice guy. Never raided with him so I can't say how he performs.

Ranking how good a tank is, is really hard. I'd say all tanks within the top 20 guilds, probably even more are equally good. Since you don't have dps and/or healing meters it's hard to measure. A good tank does his job and that is to tank..... . To determine if a tank is good or not you need to play with them.

This three got super derailed now, but whatever :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    None of it matters at all, unless you're in the race for world first. And if you are, then you already know what to pick.

Play whichever seems like fun.
    Sticky this please?

10+ Year Old Account
    DH and Monks are preforming under the other 4, but they won't cause you to not be able to progress. DHs are very good for Mythic+ dungeons. BrM currently has critical issues with mitigation - They can reduce pretty much all spike damage down alot with stagger (85% stagger), but they require much more throughput healing then any other tank atm (Lowest amount of mitigation out of all the tanks)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I don't hate Sco, I just think that when everyone else is giving their all if you're not taking every advantage you can get, no matter how small, you're holding the team back to one degree or another. And as I said, tank balance is extremely close right now, and it likely won't make much of a difference what tank you pick. In that sense, yes, there is plenty of wiggle room for what tank you can bring even in a world first setting.

However, most players that are seriously trying for world first will naturally gravitate towards the best tank even if it's only better by a fractional amount. Very few of those types of players would make the conscious decision to have worse TMI/DTPS/DPS even if it's just a few points.

Deleted
    when it comes to tanks you pick what you feel the most comfortable with. Which usually is your main.
    Not anymore, any tank worth his salt in the top 100 at least will probably reroll to whatever is strong for a tier / switch to an alt tank for an encounter. See Paragon in BRF, or any guild in HFC that had a tank reroll to guardian because of how ridiculous they were. Your tank's class is actually quite important to the raid and tactics can be changed completely, meaning trivializing a fight / an aspect of the fight so that you can progress faster. Examples would be Blood DKs on Xhul/Mannoroth for grips, BRF monks could do a bunch of things, most notably the transcendance on Blackhand. Also if a tank does die, it's 9 times out of 9 their own fault / a dps issue (the deathcallers not getting killed on archimonde, for example), especially with how strong Beacons have been in WoD, and how many externals they had at their disposal.