Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    What my point was, is that if you add a talent system like PoE as an example, you would end up with a balancing nightmare. The difference between WoW and PoE that you seem to be forgetting, is that Blizzard needs to balance classes against other classes.
    PoE doesn't have as much of a problem with that, because
    A) There are FAR less people playing PoE,
    B) PoE isn't an MMO the way that WoW is an MMO,
    C) There are no classes (for the most part) in PoE,
    D) There is no real competition in PoE outside of friendly short term bragging,
    E) Every season in PoE completely new specs become viable through buffs/nerfs of talents, as well as the majority of the old specs becoming useless,
    F) Etc.
    G) Etc.
    H) Etc.

They are 2 completely different games, and 2 completely different styles. Just because something works in one game, doesn't mean that it would work in another.

If WoW used the same talent system as PoE, the exact same thing that already happens with PoE would happen with WoW, people would let the math nerds figure out what is the best spec, then they would spec their character that way. Which is why they stopped the talent "Tree" that they used to have. When there is a "Best" option, then every other "Option" is merely an illusion of choice. Which, as shown by the OP, is proof that their talent system is working the way it should.
    Not really.Because WOTLK was mostly balanced in my opinion compared to other expansions and it had a lot of talents and they should have expanded that.As I said before the talents need to be well thought in order to be competitive and offer choices.Personally during wotlk I've tried different builds and enjoyed them quite a lot so that's good enough for me - diversity. There is going to be always the "best spec" but changing the talent tree/abilities in a simplistic way isn't exciting at all and offers no depth to the game.For example the current talent tree for warrior isn't well thought at all and the talents are just thrown out there which is very frustrating for a player like me.Personally I enjoy every aspect of the game which makes character progress / itemization more diverse and complex.

Also have you thought that maybe most of the people enjoyed the previous system instead of this one ?By most of the people I mean the people who aren't playing anymore and used to play during wow's peak.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by demonhunter50 View Post
    Not really.Because WOTLK was mostly balanced in my opinion compared to other expansions and it had a lot of talents and they should have expanded that.As I said before the talents need to be well thought in order to be competitive and offer choices.Personally during wotlk I've tried different builds and enjoyed them quite a lot so that's good enough for me - diversity. There is going to be always the "best spec" but changing the talent tree/abilities in a simplistic way isn't exciting at all and offers no depth to the game.For example the current talent tree for warrior isn't well thought at all and the talents are just thrown out there which is very frustrating for a player like me.Personally I enjoy every aspect of the game which makes character progress / itemization more diverse and complex.

Also have you thought that maybe most of the people enjoyed the previous system instead of this one ?By most of the people I mean the people who aren't playing anymore and used to play during wow's peak.
    So, I just want to get this straight... You would rather have hundreds of talents that will either gimp your character completely, OR be the ONE spec that is the correct way to spec your character? You do realize that the system we have now is almost the exact same thing as the old system, just with the pointless minimal bonuses to random things, and the useless to your spec, talents removed? Not only that, it also has MANY MORE meaningful options, so build diversity now is much higher than it ever was before the change.
    I think that you are just too stuck on the number of talent points, to see the reality of it.

Using PoE as an example again, you can take a character and build them how you want, but how many of those talent selections are anything more than "25% more ranged damage" "3% more chaos damage" "3% more health"? There are usually LESS meaningful talent selections in a PoE build than there are in a WoW build, if you actually look at them objectively.

I think that MOST people enjoy this system, because it cuts down on the cookie cutter character specs, and allows for more freedom for choice.
    The people who used to play, but no longer do, quit for their own reasons. What they prefer is as irrelevant as you or I trying to dictate what they prefer.

Here, how about this, why don't you start a thread and make a poll with 2 simple choices... "Do you prefer the current talent selection system, or the Pre-Cata talent selection system" Then your options are []Current and []Pre-Cata. That will give you your answer. Whether you choose to ignore the results or not, is up to you.

So, I just want to get this straight... You would rather have hundreds of talents that will either gimp your character completely, OR be the ONE spec that is the correct way to spec your character? You do realize that the system we have now is almost the exact same thing as the old system, just with the pointless minimal bonuses to random things, and the useless to your spec, talents removed? Not only that, it also has MANY MORE meaningful options, so build diversity now is much higher than it ever was before the change.
    I think that you are just too stuck on the number of talent points, to see the reality of it.

Using PoE as an example again, you can take a character and build them how you want, but how many of those talent selections are anything more than "25% more ranged damage" "3% more chaos damage" "3% more health"? There are usually LESS meaningful talent selections in a PoE build than there are in a WoW build, if you actually look at them objectively.

I think that MOST people enjoy this system, because it cuts down on the cookie cutter character specs, and allows for more freedom for choice.
    The people who used to play, but no longer do, quit for their own reasons. What they prefer is as irrelevant as you or I trying to dictate what they prefer.

Here, how about this, why don't you start a thread and make a poll with 2 simple choices... "Do you prefer the current talent selection system, or the Pre-Cata talent selection system" Then your options are []Current and []Pre-Cata. That will give you your answer. Whether you choose to ignore the results or not, is up to you.
    Yes, I personally enjoyed the Wotlk/Cata talent tree the most and I wanted to have an expanded version of it.I liked choosing the less meaningful talents every time I've leveled up instead of choosing a talent every 5-10 levels.The current tree has meaningful options but let's be serious some of the talents are lazy and straight up skills we used to have before.I loved the min maxing aspect of this game and I think the previous tree offered a little bit of that but I don't think it does anymore.

The fact that things got pruned down and the talent tree simplified makes the wotlk/cata talent tree far more in depth for warrior specially because the playstyle back then was much more complex.The tree and the skills were hand in hand and worked really nice.

I've already made a poll about the itemization in wow and I've got the results I've expected but I'm not going to do another one since it's pointless because blizz isn't going to change a thing.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...LL-Itemization

Nostalgia is stronk like bull.

I can sort of appreciate his viewpoint, I kind of miss getting getting something every level (Greatly tempered by sometimes it being "+1% crit") but honestly I think that's just nostalgia. I wasn't very happy with the talent changeup right when it originally happened, because at least for the specs I played there wasn't much more meaningful choice, just less clicks to fill the spec out.

If they pull it off right though, I like the idea behind the Legion talent trees. Giving you options like being able to trade difficulty for deeps, or change the focus of your rotation are great.

Just remains to be seen if Blizzard pull it off well or if they bus shock the shit out of it. I'm cynical.