If Maul did worthwhile damage, this would be how to use it, right?

Maul is off the GCD. You do not want to be spending finger-movement time on something off the GCD without also triggering a GCD ability. So:

#showtooltip Maul
    /cast Maul
    /cast Swipe

Put it next to Swipe. Then when you're spamming Swipe, you can throw in a Maul-enhanced Swipe any time you would otherwise become rage-capped, and there is no current value in spending rage on your damage-mitigation abilities.

(Tested on a target dummy. Maul and Swipe did in fact both land from a single keypress.)

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

I would think so, But as far as I can tell. I'd rather hit rage cap then decide what AM to take. Instead of wasting it on an attack that does almost 1/3 Swipes dmg, at no cost
    The ability is sadly just useless.

But clever idea.

It just got buffed by 23%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallphas View Post
    Still does a little more than 1/3 of the damage swipe does. For free. Still not worth it. They need to change something. another 25% dmg? Bake in cleave? IDK. It's jus t not work pressing.

I tanked Mythic 5's last night after changes on both pally/druid. And maul was still useless.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maul has a (small) cooldown, and you have a global cooldown on your other abilities. No need to macro when you can hit the Maul hotkey immediately after Swipe. No globals lost, and not any difficult feat for your average gamer to pull off. In fact, it's exactly what I do when I'm solo grinding/questing in bear form and have no need for active mitigation. And I do not consider myself an above average player.

I echo the sentiment, though, that Maul is never worth using while actively tanking, even on trivial content. Its damage is just horrible. In its present state, I worry that if I ever felt tempted to use it because "I'm not taking much damage right now," I might develop bad future habits all for the sake of an extra 1k dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripitgood View Post
    Still does a little more than 1/3 of the damage swipe does. For free. Still not worth it. They need to change something. another 25% dmg? Bake in cleave? IDK. It's jus t not work pressing.

I tanked Mythic 5's last night after changes on both pally/druid. And maul was still useless.
    What it needs is some kind of interaction or proc. A "reason" to push it other than dumping rage since its on a cooldown, thus not being very good at dumping rage. Rather than removing the cooldown, I would rather see something like "Maul increases your next Mark of Ursol by 10%" or "Maul causes your next ironfur to also increase movement speed by 10%" or "Mangle causes your next Maul to bleed the target for X damage"

It doesnt need to be another mindless spam button. Make it do something interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only purpose I see for it is offtanking. I'll use it during Bearcat for extra damage but otherwise why, oh why would I spend rage on a weak attack when I can use it for mitigation?

I feel like Tooth and Claw's removal was essentially the removal of Maul. They really need to buff it drastically to make it remotely worth using.

Even with the 23% damage buff, it's still off my bars because there's just no point to using it. The damage can't even be called "pitiful", it's way beyond that.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Considering that Swipe is free, has no cd, hits everything and does 180%, and that Mangle gives rage and does 380% (with a 6s cd), and that Maul cost 20 rage (and has a 3s cooldown LOL)... it needs to get buffed it to 300% damage and proc gore at the very least. Then maybe it might be worth using for ST threat or rage dump to avoid capping. I think it could easily get pushed to 400% damage if you increased the rage cost to feel like a button significant and fun to press.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallphas View Post

23% of nothing is still nothing.

Its so pathetic, bears have pretty poor action bars imo, cant get into it

Macroing it is pretty useless tbh. If you truly never want to spend rage on active mitigation, you should macro it to every ability... you don't use swipe enough to make use of maul everytime it's up otherwise.