Performance difference in GTX 1060 models...?

Ready to purchase the GTX 1060, but upon further comparison amongst the models, a few questions arose.

Below is a comparison between 5 different GTX 1060 cards. I selected three of the new 3GB cards, and two 6GB cards. Two of the three 3GB cards are labeled "Gaming" in the title, and got me wondering:

1) what is the difference between them all strictly in terms of performance and fluidity in PvP and raiding with Ultra settings on WoW
    2) what is the difference between Overclocked and Gaming modes?
    3) Do I just want to pick the one with the highest frequency or are certain brand more reliable than other?
    4) 3GB vs 6GB model really make that much of a difference?

3GB's
    - PNY: Boost Clock = 1708 MHz, Core Clock = 1506 MHz
    - GIGABYTE G1 Gaming: Boost Clock = 1847 MHz (OC Mode),1809 MHz (Gaming Mode), Core Clock = 1620 MHz (OC Mode) 1594 MHz (Gaming Mode)
    - MSI GeForce Gaming: Boost Clock = 1746 MHz (OC) 1733 MHz (Gaming) 1708 MHz (Silent), Core Clock = 1531 MHz (OC) 1518 MHz (Gaming) 1506 MHz (Silent)

6GBs
    - GIGABYTE Windforce OC: Boost Clock = 1797 MHz(OC)/1771 MHz(Gaming), Core Clock = 1582 MHz(OC)/1556 MHz(Gaming)
    - ASUS: Boost Clock = 1809 MHz9(OC)/1784 MHz(Gaming), Core Clock = 1594 MHz(OC)/1569 MHz(Gaming)

Not sure which direction to go in in terms of brand here and would love some help, thanks!

Last edited by Auberdeen; 2016-08-20 at 07:43 AM.

Wont notice a difference between any of them. A 1060 is so far above what WoW needs no amount of cuda cores or clock speeds is going to do anything. In fact in a game like WoW dont be surprised to see the GPU clock running WELL under what they would normally, the GPU power just isnt needed. My 760 in WoW rarely boosts above 1000mhz, in other games it goes to 1230mhz all the time.

The 3GB 1060 is not the same card as the 6GB 1060, as it does not only have less memory, but also less GPU cores.
    So unless your budget doesn't allow it, I would pick a 6GB variant because its a bit faster, and 6GB of memory will give you some room for the future.

For the performance of individual models - it ultimately just comes down to the clocks. Other factors include the quality of the coolers, so typically noise levels.

Deleted
    When comparing between different brands of the same card (gigabyte vs MSI 1060 6Gb, for example), it usually clockspeeds and the cooler that are different. The cooler will mainly have impact on temps and noise levels. Gaming performance is usually not that big of a difference.

As for the difference between the 3GB vs 6 GB model. The 3 GB model is actually worse than the 6 GB. Besides less memory, it has also less cuda cores. I havent seen benches yet, so I am not sure how big the performance difference will be. but I think it won't be that big.

If all you play is wow, I would probably go for a 3 GB model. Most likely the MSI model.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Wont notice a difference between any of them. A 1060 is so far above what WoW needs no amount of cuda cores or clock speeds is going to do anything. In fact in a game like WoW dont be surprised to see the GPU clock running WELL under what they would normally, the GPU power just isnt needed. My 760 in WoW rarely boosts above 1000mhz, in other games it goes to 1230mhz all the time.
    Are there other cards I should be looking at that can still run WoW on ultra very easily instead? I figured why not but if there are other cards out there that can perform just as well and isn't overkill like you say and is cheaper I would imagine then I am all ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    When comparing between different brands of the same card (gigabyte vs MSI 1060 6Gb, for example), it usually clockspeeds and the cooler that are different. The cooler will mainly have impact on temps and noise levels. Gaming performance is usually not that big of a difference.

As for the difference between the 3GB vs 6 GB model. The 3 GB model is actually worse than the 6 GB. Besides less memory, it has also less cuda cores. I havent seen benches yet, so I am not sure how big the performance difference will be. but I think it won't be that big.

If all you play is wow, I would probably go for a 3 GB model. Most likely the MSI model.
    tbh the only game I do play is WoW but maybe Overwatch in the future. Are there other cards I should be looking at instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    The 8GB version of RX 480 is in a similar price point as the 3GB 1060. The 3GB version also got fewer CUDA cores so it's worse performing than the 6GB version all-across. Personally I can't imagine it being a good choice.

In WoW at 1080p in combat scenarios it's likely not going to be much difference. I'd expect to max out all except possibly 8x MSAA on the 3GB version.

Difference between gaming mode and oc mode is usually clock speed. They are preset overclocking settings. OC mode is usually the high performer and gaming mode some kind of balance between noise and performance.

And you're never going to get the forums agree on which third part card brand is reliable and the best But sites are littered with reviews for pretty much every card variant they have come up with!

10+ Year Old Account
    My reading said the 3GB would be around 5% weaker than the 6GB. It's a legitimately weaker card.

For the others, different makers use different cooling solutions that may use more or less power (negligible), some may be noisier than others, and they will usually be clocked to different speeds. So you'll normally want to go for the higher clock speed cards if the price isn't outrageous.

@Wries From what I gather the AMD cards tend to not do as well in Blizzard games though? So for WoW (less so) and Overwatch (more so) the RX 480 might not be the best choice?

That said, the RX 480 will likely last longer with the Async/Vulkan/DX12 stuff that's going to be coming out, if the card is to last a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    Are there other cards I should be looking at that can still run WoW on ultra very easily instead?
    Depends, we'd need the specs of your monitor and rest of the computer to really give you an answer.
    Basically any card from 3-4 years ago should be able to hit ultra on 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    And you're never going to get the forums agree on which third part card brand is reliable and the best
    Pretty sure theres a few brands that come ontop in terms of overall quality cooler builds which everyone I know agrees on.
    That extra few points of clock isn't going to show any real difference so it's useless basically.
    However, cooling, sound and quality are very different from brand to brand.

MSI, EVGA and Sapphire are the current top players in the sound/cooling department.
    The rest is "meh" at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    From what I gather the AMD cards tend to not do as well in Blizzard games though? So for WoW (less so) and Overwatch (more so) the RX 480 might not be the best choice?
    AMD cards are (or used to) better in terms of price/performance, think of AMD and Intel in processors.
    Nvidia still tops single screen as it has more raw power but costs more per power point.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but AMD has been better in multi-monitor setups and higher resolutions.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-08-20 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Depends, we'd need the specs of your monitor and rest of the computer to really give you an answer.
    Basically any card from 3-4 years ago should be able to hit ultra on 1080p.

Pretty sure theres a few brands that come ontop in terms of overall quality cooler builds which everyone I know agrees on.
    That extra few points of clock isn't going to show any real difference so it's useless basically.
    However, cooling, sound and quality are very different from brand to brand.

MSI, EVGA and Sapphire are the current top players in the sound/cooling department.
    The rest is "meh" at best.

AMD cards are (or used to) better in terms of price/performance, think of AMD and Intel in processors.
    Nvidia still tops single screen as it has more raw power but costs more per power point.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but AMD has been better in multi-monitor setups and higher resolutions.
    sure thing:
    Monitor: Asus VW246 for gaming, LG 42CS570-UD for everything else
    OS - Windows 10 Pro
    CPU - AMD FX-8350
    Mboard - ASUS M5A97
    RAM - 16GB Ripjaw DDR3
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7700
    Storage - Corsair 480GB SSD, 1TB Seagate HDD
    PSU - Corsair CX600M
    Cooler - Corsair H60
    Case - Apevia X-Dreamer

I have a gtx 760, i get 60 FPS nearly everywhere in the game on 8 preset and cmaa. (of course barring the situations when the game engine is limiting, good example would be middle cap point in isle of conquest when everyone rushes flag).

You could find a used evga 960 and that is more than enough for what you play. I mention evga specifically because the warranty is linked to serial number on the card, and transfers owner to owner.

Whatever you do stick to nvidia for blizz games, the engine highly prefers nvidia architecture:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...X_1060/23.html
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page2.html

If you could find a used EVGA 960 for under 100 bucks id do that tbh, here is how you check how long of a warranty is left on evga cards:
    http://www.evga.com/support/guestregister.asp

sure thing:
    Monitor: Asus VW246 for gaming, LG 42CS570-UD for everything else
    All we need to know monitor wise is the resolution.

All we need to know monitor wise is the resolution.
    oh lol thought you wanted to know how many monitors i was using at once or something. 1920x1080 btw.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a gtx 760, i get 60 FPS nearly everywhere in the game on 8 preset and cmaa. (of course barring the situations when the game engine is limiting, good example would be middle cap point in isle of conquest when everyone rushes flag).

You could find a used evga 960 and that is more than enough for what you play. I mention evga specifically because the warranty is linked to serial number on the card, and transfers owner to owner.

Whatever you do stick to nvidia for blizz games, the engine highly prefers nvidia architecture:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...X_1060/23.html
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page2.html

If you could find a used EVGA 960 for under 100 bucks id do that tbh, here is how you check how long of a warranty is left on evga cards:
    http://www.evga.com/support/guestregister.asp
    awesome I check it out on newegg

oh lol thought you wanted to know how many monitors i was using at once or something. 1920x1080 btw.

- - - Updated - - -

awesome I check it out on newegg
    They dont sell cards used on newegg

If you were to buy new id suggest a 950 but only if you can find one for around ~100-115. But recently they jacked up 950 prices to entice people to buy 1060's. Just be aware tho whatever you decide to buy you are still limited quite highly in blizzard games because of your CPU.

1920x1080 btw.
    anything 10xx is SUPER MAJOR overkill.

anything 10xx is SUPER MAJOR overkill.
    what should I be looking at then for WoW to still run silky smooth and fluid with Ultra settings in PvP and raiding? 960 like @Fascinate said, or 970? otherwise?

- - - Updated - - -

They dont sell cards used on newegg

If you were to buy new id suggest a 950 but only if you can find one for around ~100-115. But recently they jacked up 950 prices to entice people to buy 1060's. Just be aware tho whatever you decide to buy you are still limited quite highly in blizzard games because of your CPU.
    I was referring to the Refurbs tbh my bad

what should I be looking at then for WoW to still run silky smooth and fluid with Ultra settings in PvP and raiding? 960 like @Fascinate said, or 970? otherwise?
    The 970 certainly would be good enough.
    Do note that no video card is able to sustain 60 FPS at ALL times since most bottlenecking comes from the CPU and the old architecture of wow.